Made a mess in the wrong car...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallo

Reaction score
My Car
73' Grande
My dad and I were out cleaning the metal that windshield seals to which was bound to leave a mess. That windshield sealant is as evil as tar when it comes to cleaning. We got 99% of the stuff off of the pony and didn't get any of that sealant where it shouldn't be besides our hands, so we went to celebrate a productive Saturday with a couple of sodas. We hopped in the other car and drove to Walmart. When we got out of the car at Walmart we realized that our celebrations were premature. My dad had somehow managed to get some of the sealant on the back of his shirt, and the sealant then ended up all over the drivers seat.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this stuff off of a leather seat? It was last Saturday, so it has been on a while.

Wow, thats a bummer. I would try leather cleaner first, but anything else you try I would test on a piece of the leather you can't easily see first to make sure it won't discolor the leather.

My dad and I were out cleaning the metal that windshield seals to which was bound to leave a mess. That windshield sealant is as evil as tar when it comes to cleaning. We got 99% of the stuff off of the pony and didn't get any of that sealant where it shouldn't be besides our hands, so we went to celebrate a productive Saturday with a couple of sodas. We hopped in the other car and drove to Walmart. When we got out of the car at Walmart we realized that our celebrations were premature. My dad had somehow managed to get some of the sealant on the back of his shirt, and the sealant then ended up all over the drivers seat.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this stuff off of a leather seat? It was last Saturday, so it has been on a while.
If you could post up a picture I can tell you what has to be done..You have seen my detailing vids ?

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-video-of-the-pantera-detail-tune

ARUGH,,,,, i've had similar issues.

try using clear scotch tape, not magic tape, use the sticker stuff from staples. stick it on top of the tar, and then pull the tape off, see if any of it pulls off with the tape. if it works expect to do that all day.

if nothing you can try WD-40 the idea is wet the tar so it cannot stick that means spray, rub it, spray again, rub it, until chunks of it cannot stick anymore and come off.

you can try Goo Gone also, i used it on leather when i got some Really nasty tar glue from tape stuck on my seat. its like wd-40 in that you have to work it in and try to loosen chunks of it.

you can't use any paint strippers since it may melt or ruin the leather. there are Leather cleaners on the market but i don't think they are powerful enough to get that stuff off.

don't use heat or cold to try and freeze or super heat the stuff that glue will stay sticky from -40 to +130F so that is not a good option.

you can try soap and water first try to get the soap on the tar, and work it in with a rag so it cannot stick to itself, and rub it off.

worst case: i know people that used mineral spirits and lacquer thinner on leather, but you never know how the leather will react to it.

the lacquer thinner will take that glue off anything 100% the problem is what will happen to the leather. they make lacquer thinner in different levels of dilution as well. i know i found out the difference on a project the hard way, i bought heavy duty lacquer thinner and the stuff burned my hands, where the normal stuff had no effect on my hands.

mineral spirits is a natural paint remover and its suppose to be safer for skin.

try the other things first.

one other thing.

if you have to use a cloth rag on the leather to work in a remover:

make 100% sure the cloth you use is 100% dye free and pure white cotton.

Color from a rag or towel can transfer into the leather dye and wreck it.

Hey, 72HCODE, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but you are a wizard. 10 minutes and a half bottle of WD-40 later the seat looked almost as good as new. There's a tiny bit of black still stuck between the texture of the leather but its better than I thought it would look again. Thanks man.

IMAG0025.jpg

Back