Flickering lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger1197

Reaction score
My Car
2006 FORD GT
2011 FORD GT500
2011 FORD RAPTOR
1972 MACH 1 Q CODE
2013 GT500
Searched but nothing came back!!

Any ideas on lights, all of them including interior and gauge lights, that flikker on tick over?

OK when driving, just tick over even when rpm's up on choke?

appreciate any help

I agree with will E. especially if it still has an original style electro-mechanical regulator. Chuck

Could be a bad diode in your alternator also, causing the drops in the charge cycle.

I had it happen to me. Have the alternator checked along with the voltage reg.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how to trouble shoot...

1. take a jumper cable and while the car is running and the lights are on, clamp one of the connectors onto the negative battery post and the other onto a metal body part. I like using one of the three shock tower nuts. If it stops flickering, you have a bad engine to body ground.

2. Take it to a local parts place like Autozone/Checker. THey can hook up their equipment and while the car is running they can usually tell you if it is the alternator or voltage regulator.

Thanks Guys......

Havnt noticed any heat in the headlight switch but will check this along with the trouble shooting tips.

Thanks & will let you know the outcome

Poked around a little today......................

Battery is new but pulled the leads, cleaned the posts & clamps, coated with dielectric grease & refitted, pulled all the main ground leads, cleaned body ground connection, greased & refitted, pulled motor ground connection, cleaned, greased & refitted, checked volts at battery when motor running - 12/13v, still flikkering, not checked charging amps yet but dash gauge looks ok

One point I noticed, no flikker for the 1st 30 seconds of starting/switching lights on but once the problem starts continues regardless of engine rpm's

:dodgy:

Yeah!!

I think its time for an upgrade, voltage with lights on fluctuates between 14.8 & 16.4, I have a full MSD electronic ignition kit with billet distributor to fit & looking to the future, maybe more accessories.

I checked out Tuff Stuff alternators at Summit & think probably their 100 amp one wire with integral regulator would be the right job.

Anyone used these? or any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back