Shock Buying Advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndt1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 white/white/white convertible, 302 V-2
Hi Guys, I have a 1973 Convertible that I drive almost every day. The car jumps and I almost loose control when I hit a bad pothole Should I get all four done at the same time? I really only think I need the fronts.

There a so many choices out there I am having a hard time deciding what to buy. I'm pretty sure I dont want adjustiable shocks cause I wouldnt know how to adjust them anyway.

Any help would be appriciated

Ted

Hi Guys, I have a 1973 Convertible that I drive almost every day. The car jumps and I almost loose control when I hit a bad pothole Should I get all four done at the same time? I really only think I need the fronts.

There a so many choices out there I am having a hard time deciding what to buy. I'm pretty sure I dont want adjustiable shocks cause I wouldnt know how to adjust them anyway.

Ted

Check these out

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

Ted

Hi Ted,

Don't know what you mean by "The car jumps" but loosing control when you hit a pot hole could be normal or a bad alignment. I would take it to Midas and get a free inspection to see if in fact you need an alignment or shocks. They both go bad and can cause the problems described. If you know for sure you need shocks, then just get the fronts for now and any major parts store like Oreillys can provide a good set. Unless your car is designed for the race track, then I can see getting high end name brand shocks, but if not, then any brand will do. Even Sears and Napa have a good stock type shocks for our vehicles. CJ Pony has a huge selection to choose from. From stock to high performance, its all good!

DJ

Thanks DJ, I think thats exactly what I'll do, go to Midas.

\Ted

Sprint@Diner.JPGI put KYB gas shocks ( see link below) on my 72 sprint convertible. I have Koni's on my 72 Mach1 but I bought them a very long time ago and even back then they were expensive. As other posters said, check the entire front end from the springs to the the spring insulators to the sway bar end links, the tieirods, steering rag joint bushing, strut rods bushings and so forth. There could be one or multiple reasons for that loose front end feeling. ON my Mach1 I replaced just about every bushing with polyurethane but the sprint still has all the stock parts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/SHOCK-front-KYB-gas-Competition-type-1971-1973/p/KYB3/

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't leave out other typical wear items such as:

- Tie rods

- Ball joints

- Pitman arm

- Bad front springs

- Control arm bushings

- Strut rod bushings

- Sloppy steering box

- Broken/cracked shock tower or other suspension mount points

- Broken rear leaf spring

- Bad leaf bushings

- Bad leaf spring U-bolts or center pins

It all works as a system. Any one of these can contribute to misdiagnosed symptoms...

edit:

OOOPS - looks like vamach and I are on the same track ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DJ, I think thats exactly what I'll do, go to Midas.

\Ted
Right on! If Midas do confirm you need new shocks, then do it yourself and save some $$ for the next project ;) Changing front shocks are very simple to do and shouldn't take more than 30min to do for both sides. Have a great weekend!

Back