1971 Mach 1 Neutral Safety Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadlerb_98

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Well I guess I fried my neutral safety switch with too much water when I was cleaning the undercarriage at the car wash. I've attempted to let it dry out with no luck.

I'm confused on finding a replacement switch. It has a C-6 transmission. Original part number was D0ZZ 7A247-B (SW-920). I called NPD-no luck. O'Reilly and Rock Auto websites say that a motorcraft SW-1615 would work. Other websites say it works with a C-4 only.

Has anyone replaced their 1971 C-6 neutral safety switch with a motorcraft or other brand? I could also try and find a NOS.

thanks,

Bobby

______

Unless your doing a complete restoration, this is no differnt than if it went out in 1979 and you went to your local car parts store to fix. Now if your doing a concourse full restoration back to factory numbers, it will definetly become more difficult to find Ford factory parts.

Unless your doing a complete restoration, this is no differnt than if it went out in 1979 and you went to your local car parts store to fix. Now if your doing a concourse full restoration back to factory numbers, it will definetly become more difficult to find Ford factory parts.
I agree. The problem is that I cannot find a replacement at a part store. All the ones for sale are for C-4/C-5 transmissions. I even called NPD and they said that they do not sell a replacement. O'Reilly and Rock Auto says Motorcraft 1615 would work but that one is for C-6 made after 12/71. It has different connectors. I called various car parts places today to see if anyone had something in stock that I could look at. No-one did. I might take a gamble and see if the motorcraft 1615 would work though.

thanks

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Back