Gauges?????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramair

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 351W
1973 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4X4
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1962 Ford Fairlane
Where would the best place be to mount some aftermarket(Sunpro) 1 5/8" gauges on a 73 Mustang that had no gauges, just idiot lights. The only place I can find is to either drill some holes in the panel left of the headlight switch or to mount them on a pod beneath it. Anybody have any suggestions.

I would buy the center pod with the gauges. Untill I got all the wiring correct for the originals, I just mounted some after market 2" gauges in the original pods. Looked very factory and I didn't have to drill a hole.

When i got mine i had thought about mounting them in the same place, under the headlight switch. But i didn't like the way it looked also the view was not to good. so this is what i did to mine
IM002758.jpg
Photo-0045.jpg
plan on buying center with gauges later. with a 41 year old motor i wanted to know oil pressure and temp. I never liked idiot lights

Last edited by a moderator:
When i got mine i had thought about mounting them in the same place, under the headlight switch. But i didn't like the way it looked also the view was not to good. so this is what i did to mine
IM002758.jpg
Photo-0045.jpg
plan on buying center with gauges later. with a 41 year old motor i wanted to know oil pressure and temp. I never liked idiot lights
When you cut the emblem out on the center dash does the gauges interfere with the AC ducts???

BTW: I use to have two center dashes with the gauges but I sold them on ebay years ago, doooh!!!!!!!

IM002758.jpg
Photo-0045.jpg
When you cut the emblem out on the center dash does the gauges interfere with the AC ducts???

BTW: I use to have two center dashes with the gauges but I sold them on ebay years ago, doooh!!!!!!!
No problem with a/c ducts, mine stick out just a bit from the dash ( not much ) but they can go further back with no problems. But i will say this, BE SURE to TEST FIT to get them the way you like them, before you mount permanently. Yea i know the feeling i have sold parts and later i found that i wanted to use them but no longer had them

I bought mine on eBay a few years back. Might have bought yours! I've bought so much for my cars on eBay. I'll get a picture of mine today. Mine are mounted inside the original gauge pods so they look original.

Did the original gauge pods here too. Looks better that way I think.

When I bought my new centre console bezel I made a choice to keep the standard basic bezel instead of the instrument bezel because I really liked the look of the Mustang badge on there. So I put my Sunpro gauges under the centre stack where the Sunpro gauge bezel is held in place by friction. I wrapped pvc tape around the top lip of the gauge bezel first so it wouldn't scratch the console bezel as I was sliding it in.

hp8BT.jpg

I still think this is the way to go.

101_1747.jpg

Well this is where I mounted my 1 5/8" mini Sun Pro gauges. I know it will make some people cringe, had to drill some holes in the dash, but it looks descent. The only problem I have is the dash tilts downward, I cannot see the top of them gauge while sitting in the seat, but I still can tell where things are at by where the needle points.

73 Mustang gauges.JPG

Well this is where I mounted my 1 5/8" mini Sun Pro gauges. I know it will make some people cringe, had to drill some holes in the dash, but it looks descent. The only problem I have is the dash tilts downward, I cannot see the top of them gauge while sitting in the seat, but I still can tell where things are at by where the needle points.
As long as you are happy with them, who cares what others think. ::goodjob::

Yep, that will make a man cringe and just kill the resale value. It looks good but doesn't seem like a good place to read them.

Those digital gauges are nice and you can always put it back original for resale. Just call me crazy though because I'm all for original.

Its just a plain jane base coupe that hardly anything is original on, the only thing original is the roof, pass door and seats. The car was rebuilt from salvage. there really isn't much collector status in it. I wouldn't have done this to a Mach 1 or a vert, but this car it won't hurt resale value.

Course I have never sold one of mine. That Convertible I have had since I was a youngen. I talk about selling them. I use to tell my wife what a good investment they would be. I don't even bother with that any more because she wouldn't believe me any way. When I dragged that 66 up the Mountain a few months back, she didn't even take a second look at it are ask a single question. So although I talk about resale, to most of us, that's all that is, is talk. A 73 Coupe is a fine car to own, after all, it's a Ford!

Back