Gauge question #2

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramair

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 351W
1973 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4X4
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1962 Ford Fairlane
Ok, this is gauge question#2, good responses on gauge question number 1. Question number 2 is, would anybody on here, excuse my langauge, bastardize their Mustang by using Cougar parts. I have a 73 XR 7 Mercury Cougar Coupe(parts car) that had full instrumentation, tach, speedo, oil, volt and temp gauges. All of the gauges worked fine plus I have the complete wiring harness. The harness is in pretty good shape besides somebody hacking in the radio wires. Could I or should I pull the whole dash out of the Cougar and install it in my 73 Mustang to get full intrumentation if it is possible??????

This has nothing to do with gauges but I have a 351C from a cougar. Many parts are interchangeable and the gauges might be. I'll let someone else confirm or deny this.

Im not sure how much work would be required to put a full cougar dash in your stang', but even if it is easy I wouldn't do it. It doesn't look as nice IMO. The 3 gauge cluster from the center dash of the cougar might be easy to mount somewhere though. That's what I would do if it covers your needs. I'm not possible the gauges are interchangeable, so don't go by my word.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be easier to find a 3 gauge pod from a mustang. However, I also have a 71 cougar 351c in one of my Mach 1s.

With the original mustang gauge pods on eBay every single day. Even the tach dash ones on there often. Why would one do that.

I just looked on eBay and you can get a brand new repo for $180 and there was a nice used one for $100. Also there was at least two tach clusters and wiring harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided against doing this, it was just a idea and not a very good one at that.

Here is an original one with 2 inch after market gauges. 101_1747.jpg

No, didn't cut a thing because I have the original gauges just needed the wiring harness. I just cut a small piece of metal and ran it from one gauge to the other and used the same screws that hold the original gauges in. The original gauges are oblonged so you want to make sure you get all black gauges and not chrome because a little of the chrome would show. I finally found the gauge and tach wiring harness on eBay but have not got around to changing them back out.

That's what that picture is. I think it looks original and works good.

Back