headliner rods location

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
i was removing my head liner today and forgot to check which hole the rod ends went into, i can see old marks in the holes but dont seem right on the left side they go in the bottom of the 3 and on the right side they go in the front hole? is this correct can anyone tell me what ones are correct?headliner holes.JPG

Calling the center hole toward the front #1, Top hole toward roof #2, bottom hole toward floor #3.

Starting at windsheild going back on the Drivers side. (the 2 sides are in diffent holes)mine are located:

3, 2, 2, 1, 1

Passenger side:

3, 3, 1, 1, 1

Mine is a fastback and I'm not sure the reason for 3 holes. I'm going to go back out and pull a measuring tape to see if both sides are equal from the windsheild roofline going back. Let you know.

I put the tape in the top corner of the windshield and DS was

front to back 6"- 17.5" - 28.5" - 38" and 48"

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i also found it strange to have more then one location to place the rod?, reading a workshop manual it tells you to put the drivers side rod in the top hole to allow for more head room,Ill check out the marks i have telling me where the rods would of been and see if the numbers match your fast back and let you know !

If your over 6 feet like me I'll be putting trying to put them as high as they'll go and still be strait. That being said. The measurement from the corner of the windshield back on each side becomes very important

Maybe the bow of the rod? Don't know. Plan to pull a string and measure heighth when I put mine back in.

Maybe the bow of the rod? Don't know. Plan to pull a string and measure height when I put mine back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 holes determin how high the headliner will be. I read up on this when installing my headliner and it stated that the factory always made the headliner higher on the passenger side than the drivers side. Why? i dont know and i cant remeber the exact configuration but bottom line the reason for the 3 holes is to make the headliner higher or lower.

Back