Front clip replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1976 Ford F150 4X4
1994 Caprice Wagon LT1
2004 Ford Focus ZX5
Mach 1 Jig.jpgMach 1 front clip.jpgHello from Indiana, I finally decided to post something. I am putting a replacement clip on the front of my Mach 1. I have owned the car since 1982 when I was a sophomore in High school. I (and my oldest brother)repainted the body then but it has structural rust I am sure you all know about. I was going to purchase and repair and fab up all of the parts I needed for the front cowl aprons etc but I found a front clip instead because the rust was extensive. This is a family project and my sons and daughter and I are going to work on. I took a couple of Pics yesterday so I decided to post a couple. I thought some of you might like to see the jig I am using. Thank you for having this forum available I have enjoyed looking at your cars and reading your posts. Reading about the projects helps keep me motivated. I know I can learn from the members post and I may have a thing or two to politely offer in the form of advice for you all as well.

Welcome from South Alabama. That's a doozie of a first post! Good luck with it. As you've probablyseen on here, this has been done before.

Welcome to the site. Making it a family project will make it that much more special! Keep the progress pics coming.

My hat is off to you guys that do this extensive repairs. Some of the members here just do awesome work. I like to think I am pretty good, but I know some of the guys here are just way over the top of what I am capable of.

Hello from Utah. Best of luck on the project.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! ::welcome::

That first pic looks all to familiar :D Prior to rebuilding mine, it was Autumn maple metallic with black trims. Have fun with the project. ::welcome::

Been there! done that! My story is a mirror image of yours. Bought my car in High School (first car) and recently completed all new metalwork after a high school restoration to get it driveable. Here are a couple of pictures to compare.

1972 mustang after media1.JPG

After metalwork completed and on the way home.

Graverobbers 015.jpg

Unlike you, I do not have the talent with welding and work and family take a lot of my time. I reluctently have to farm out bodywork so I can get back to the nut and bolt turning I can do.

Best wishes in your progress. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions. This is a GREAT group for assistance and support.

Welcome! I just recently completed a front clip swap as well - seems like mine was parked in a river for several years or something. Scored a 'clip of a '72, and made the swap this past May.

My advice: take your time (don't get in a hurry), measure everything at least 5 times (before AND after), and save everything until after you're done.

Good luck and post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back