460-c6 rear gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
My 4:33's are a blast but wayyy over kill for what the 80% street driving I do. I have a spare 3rd member so im going to set up a street gear. whos got a big block and a c6 that can share some numbers with me. Im leaning toward a 3.50 now. id like to be comfortable at 65-70mph. Right now at 55 (estimate) im at 3300 and it sucks. But the gears were free at least:)

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a 3.50 with a 25.7 inch tall tire and it works out great. however i don't have a c6 but i have a tko600 trans. i did however have a c6 originally and my 3.89 cogs was too much for a 6000rpm max powerband.

i guess its all depends on your powerband is like.

and BTW, i'm planning on building a 545 stroker with something that makes max power at or before 6000rpms after this deployment. maybe you and i should talk about big block strokers.

As c9 said wallace racing has tons of calculators. I use them constantly. Just remember that lets say you run a 350 gear with a 25 inch tire, your now running a 360 or 370 ratio. I you go to a 31 inch tire then your 350 would be more like a 330 or 340 ratio. All ratios are based on a 28 inch tire. I'm building a pumped up 466/c-6 with a 350 and it calculated out still alittle high rpm at 55, I think it was around 2000 rpm and thats with a 27.1 inch tire.

As c9 said wallace racing has tons of calculators. I use them constantly. Just remember that lets say you run a 350 gear with a 25 inch tire, your now running a 360 or 370 ratio. I you go to a 31 inch tire then your 350 would be more like a 330 or 340 ratio. All ratios are based on a 28 inch tire. I'm building a pumped up 466/c-6 with a 350 and it calculated out still alittle high rpm at 55, I think it was around 2000 rpm and thats with a 27.1 inch tire.
i run a 28.1 inch tall slick with the same gear :D:D

Thanks for all the replies, 73-what are yourrpms at with the 3:70s? I'm assuming you have the c6? Im using a 29x12.5 tire, do its either a 3:50 or 3:70..

I have a 460/c6 and 3.50 gears and I would not go any higher that.

Andy

C_andy-what are your rpms like at say 65 and 75mph?
was your mach a 460 stock or did you install it, and secondly - what will it take to put a 460 in a 72 engine bay, any special motor mounts? I am getting one out of an 88 f250 with serpentine belts and a tranny with od. I know heavier springs and more cooling but will the mounts out of ..say a lincoln work or even the f 250 ones? thanks new to Big blocks. want to use alum heads and intake. proprtioning valve different? thanks joe

was your mach a 460 stock or did you install it, and secondly - what will it take to put a 460 in a 72 engine bay, any special motor mounts? I am getting one out of an 88 f250 with serpentine belts and a tranny with od. I know heavier springs and more cooling but will the mounts out of ..say a lincoln work or even the f 250 ones? thanks new to Big blocks. want to use alum heads and intake. proprtioning valve different? thanks joe
460 was never a factory option in any Mustang.

The biggest engine you could get stock in 1972 was a 351.

In 1971 you could get a 429 which uses the same motor mounts as a 460.

The cheapest motor mounts I found is from RockAuto. I haven't ordered them yet, but i will soon.

Joe,

The best way to approach this "swap" is to treat it as if you have a 1971 with a 429CJ/SCJ engine. The 429 and 460 use the EXACT same blocks and in the case of the standard 429, the same heads.

You may even be able to find many of the needed parts (motor mounts and frame mounts, for example) for the swap at your local "parts houses", i.e. Autozone, NAPA, etc. In doing my swap on my Grande, I NEVER said '73 Grande, I said 429SCJ Mach 1...You will be surprised at what you will find:).

BT

Thanks for the info, I got a 460 from an 89 F350 I plan to build and introduce it into the mach. So original 429 Motor mounts for a 71 will work but now I have to find frame mounts, Advance has the motor but not frame mounts, I will check NPD and MU.
Joe,

The best way to approach this "swap" is to treat it as if you have a 1971 with a 429CJ/SCJ engine. The 429 and 460 use the EXACT same blocks and in the case of the standard 429, the same heads.

You may even be able to find many of the needed parts (motor mounts and frame mounts, for example) for the swap at your local "parts houses", i.e. Autozone, NAPA, etc. In doing my swap on my Grande, I NEVER said '73 Grande, I said 429SCJ Mach 1...You will be surprised at what you will find:).

BT

I am getting one out of an 88 f250 with serpentine belts and a tranny with od. thanks joe
Joe, beware that the heads on that fuel injected engine are different than the 1968-87 carbureted heads. This also affects intake manifold choices... I don't think carbed manifolds bolt up to FI heads.

Same goes with that OD transmission. It is electronically controlled. There are wiring conversions available, but it is not a "plop, drop and roll" inexpensive swap.

Sorry, I didn't have my tach working last time I drove my '73. I switched to a MSD ready to run dist. and needed to hook up the tach adapter. I do remember that it sounded like I would not like to go on long highway trip with it. I would stck with 3.50s if you are going out on the highway much.

Back