Ford 352 ci engine ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
I just read that there are Ford 352 ci engines.

How to identify them ? In which cars could they be found ? (Mustang, Ranchero, GT ?) Differences with 351C ?

I'm curious, any info is welcome ! I couldn't find that much info on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recall my mother's 1966 Galaxie 500 that had a 352 in it. It seemed to move that big old 3,600 pound car pretty well. I'd still turn one down in favor of a Windsor or Cleveland just because of the parts availability for the latter two.

The 352 FE engine has five valve cover bolts, the Windsor has six and the Cleveland has eight.

The 352 is an old "Y" block engine from the late 50s. Absolutely nothing in common with the 351w or c other than they were built by Ford.
Actually the 352 is an FE engine,same physical size as the 330,360,390,406,427,428. It was the second engine in the FE family. Started production around(?) 1960 and ran in the car / f100 line until 67(?). They were never installed from the factory in a Mustang,Cougar ,Fairlane etc.... There were HiPo versions in the very early 1960-1962 full size Fords.They were basicly the fore runner of the 390s. You could make them run if you knew what parts to use(mostly factory performance parts). I had a very good machinest that was in the Ford drag club with my father and I who ran a 1958 Ford with a 352(Super Stock NHRA / AHRA,we did not have brackets or indexes in the 60's) that ran very deep in to the 12's.This was a nearly 4,000LB car and in 1967-69.

They were basicly a utility engine though.

I learned about these engines early because my dad and I ran 390's and 428's. If you notice I go by FastE, thats what the FE is for the FE engine family.

Oh my freind has long past now,but his next car was a 1971 Maverick with a Boss 302, Doug Nash 5 speed, 6:50 gears. It was a cool looking engine. He ran a Cross Boss intake with one of the inline Autolite 1400 cfm carbs. Very simple carb and just plane cool looking! He ran in the D/MP class and was running well under the record. The last I remember the record at the time was 10.63. I remember he would always try to stay right on the record with out breaking it. Smart move.

1973_Ford-37.JPG

Yup....Got a old 352 in a ford truck here at my house..lol...Well atleast it says 352 on the block and its old anuff...But arent all 390's 427's all marked 352 on the blocks? atleast i remmeber hearing something about that..lol

Yup....Got a old 352 in a ford truck here at my house..lol...Well atleast it says 352 on the block and its old anuff...But arent all 390's 427's all marked 352 on the blocks? atleast i remmeber hearing something about that..lol
Yes, the blocks are all marked 352 regardless of displacement.

My 390 in my 66 T-bird was a 352 block. The intake manifold literally makes up the inside half of the head and are very heavy if your trying to set by arms only. Ask me how I know!!!

My 390 in my 66 T-bird was a 352 block. The intake manifold literally makes up the inside half of the head and are very heavy if your trying to set by arms only. Ask me how I know!!!
ya i heard something about the guy who built pontiac's 400 was the same guy who designed the ford 390...reason why they both got such big manifolds and such small heads..lol

oohh yes...I picked one up before..What a heavy heavy manifold{shakes head} part head all man!! lol

As was stated all the FE blocks 360,390,406,410,427,428 have 352 cast in them. The blocks are extremely strong compared to our thin cast small blocks. The manifold is the first thing you change out for an aluminum,if for nothing else but to save weight. The heads are very light,because the intake makes up part of the head. As droptop73 said the block itself is paterned off of the old Y block 292 / 312 in that the oil pan rail is totally flat. Made for a strong heavy block. Ford made some killer FE's! The 427 SOHC and DOHCs were used in top fuel / nitro cars in the 60's and 70's and held there own if not better than the Hemis. It was the after market hemis that they could not compete with and I am sure most of that was because of cost. Ford got out of racing and the parts were very exspensive if you could find them.

I love FE's!! Great engines!!

352 was a good engine, very dependable, never gave any trouble ...and you could pull one head and not remove the intake. I had one in a 66 galaxie...it just kept on going.

Not sure if you need it or not but thought a pic of an FE block in car might help sort out the identification problem. Here is a 390 cid version in a Galaxie. As mentioned by others, for identification, the valve covers and intake are quite different from a 351 C.

I know... It could do with a clean up under the hood but I got sidetracked with the Mustang.

IMG_0470.JPGDSCF6043.JPGDSCF6044.JPG

My 67 F-100 came with a 352. It has a 70 390 in it now. :D

IMG_13041.jpg

Actually the 352 is an FE engine,same physical size as the 330,360,390,406,427,428. It was the second engine in the FE family. Started production around(?) 1960 and ran in the car / f100 line until 67(?). They were never installed from the factory in a Mustang,Cougar ,Fairlane etc.... There were HiPo versions in the very early 1960-1962 full size Fords.
352 ran from 58-66 in cars, 65-67 in trucks. 58 was the first year for the FE series.

I have the 390 in my 66 F100. It's a stepside shortbed and that 390 will move that thing to the point of making your eyes get big. I believe the FE stands for Ford Edsol.

Back