c6 and driveshaft question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sik

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Hardtop 302
So I am going to be putting a 460 in my coupe in about a month or so, going to have to rebuild it though but i have everything other then gaskets. Right now I have a c4 in my car and i am going to switch over to a c6. There is a guy on craigslist that is selling a rebuilt c6 but it is a diesel tranny. Are there any differences besides bolt patterns? and if there isnt do you think it is worth it to drill new holes? The tranny he i selling is only $50.

My second question is will i have to replace my driveshaft? or can i shorten mine or mod it to fit the c6?

I am going to pick and pull soon so i may have to grab a c6 and a new drive shaft.

The 1971 - 1973 Mustang with 351 engine, C6 transmission,31 spline axles and 3 5/8" Universal Joints use the exact same drive shaft as the 1971 429 engine with C6 transmission.

When I switched my 302 and 3-speed transmission in my '73 Grande to a 460 based motor with C6 transmission, I simply had a new drive shaft built by one of the local shops.

Hope this helps!

BT

Do yourself a favor and get the correct tranny for your swap! The C6 out of any of the Ford mercury passenger cars will fit. You will have to change the side linkage unless you get a tranny out of a car with a floor shift. You could probably get a trans shop to build you one if you can't find one.

When I did my swap I used my factory drive shaft. My car is a factory C6 car with the 28 spl rear.No issues.

alright thanks guys. I may be picking up a c6 for $75 dollars soon. Hopefully a pick and pull near me has the right drive shaft. Do you guys think i can get away for a few months with a 8 inch rear end?

alright thanks guys. I may be picking up a c6 for $75 dollars soon. Hopefully a pick and pull near me has the right drive shaft. Do you guys think i can get away for a few months with a 8 inch rear end?
It will last until you get some traction.They are not pretty when the pinion gear tries to vacate the case! I have been beside one when that happened, lot's of flying parts!!

Ok thanks, maybe i will just wait for another month or two so i can put a 9 inch in when i put in the c6 and 460.

Back