Gear Vendors overdrive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked in to them. Sounds like the "Holly Grail" for guys that like to run deep gears. I never could get any real clear info, read honest. Lot's of sales pitches. I did run across one person on the VMF that had done one in a 68 ,I beleive. I think the main issue was the extreme pinion angle that was created buy the short drive shaft. I would love to be able to run one!

I ran a Gear vendors in my 88 F250. The unit worked very well. A buddy of mine runs one in his 55 Chevy 502 T-400. with no floor cutting. My brother is planing to use one in his 70 Boss 302. I was going to run one behind my C6 ,instead Ill be going with a AOD. You should not have to cut the floor. I would contact Gear Vendors in El cajon CA.

run an AOD instead and be happy with it. who knows how much longer parts will be available for it. i believe AOD parts will be available for a very long time.

:D

The cool thing about the gear vendors overdrive is that you can activate it in each gear, essentially making a 3 speed into a 6 speed.

Why would you take the 4 speed out of a Boss 351 to install an AOD. Install the Gear Vendors you will like it. The 4.10 gears turned into 3.25 on my F250 when the C6 was in high gear and the Gear Vendor was on. I had the unit in my truck over 4 years and towed a 16K 5th wheel toy hauler with no problems. My MPG went from 8 MPG to 10-11. I have a buddy that installed a unit in his E350 motorhome because he had trouble towing his inclosed trailer. He has told me that is was best investment he maid for the motorhome.

Why would you take the 4 speed out of a Boss 351 to install an AOD. Install the Gear Vendors you will like it. The 4.10 gears turned into 3.25 on my F250 when the C6 was in high gear and the Gear Vendor was on. I had the unit in my truck over 4 years and towed a 16K 5th wheel toy hauler with no problems. My MPG went from 8 MPG to 10-11. I have a buddy that installed a unit in his E350 motorhome because he had trouble towing his inclosed trailer. He has told me that is was best investment he maid for the motorhome.
Thanks for the info. I could not believe that anyone would recommend putting a AOD into a Boss. To each is own I guess!:idea:

4R70W's are really the way to go in my humble opinion guys. I am onto my next build now and plan to put one behind my 600+ hp 460 cid aluminum headed 72 Mach1. I spoke with mr. Art Carr this week and he turned me onto the guys that make the adapter plate to put a small block trans behind a big block. Art told me what I kinda suspected already after running a 4r behind my injected 351C which made 430hp for 5 hard years, the tranny NEVER hiccuped - not once: that the 4R70W is extremely tough once you do some (cheap) onboard mods to the pump spring. 4 programmable gears plus a lockup, HD OD bands, 2.84:1 1st gear and a Lockup(.67:1 od), its like 5 speeds! used V6 trannys are 2-400 and the Baumann controller for 5bills and you are cooking! I will do this swap for the 460, it will be smoking hot and cool all at the same time, oh yeah , I want to sequnetial fuel inject my 460 too. Sorry, I get carried away.

Last edited by a moderator:
4R70W's are really the way to go in my humble opinion guys. I am onto my next build now and plan to put one behind my 600+ hp 460 cid aluminum headed 72 Mach1. I spoke with mr. Art Carr this week and he turned me onto the guys that make the adapter plate to put a small block trans behind a big block. Art told me what I kinda suspected already after running a 4r behind my injected 351C which made 430hp for 5 hard years, the tranny NEVER hiccuped - not once: that the 4R70W is extremely tough once you do some (cheap) onboard mods to the pump spring. 4 programmable gears plus a lockup, HD OD bands, 2.84:1 1st gear and a Lockup(.67:1 od), its like 5 speeds! used V6 trannys are 2-400 and the Baumann controller for 5bills and you are cooking! I will do this swap for the 460, it will be smoking hot and cool all at the same time, oh yeah , I want to sequnetial fuel inject my 460 too. Sorry, I get carried away.
Keep us posted , and maybe start a new thread on the build... Data and experiences on newer mods is always helpful, to me at least :D looking for a frontrunner to keep me out of too much trouble.

I don't know about fastback/coupe but I was considering the gear vendors in my c6 convertible. The fit would be tight. The convertible includes a plate that ties the unibody together. The drive shaft and exhaust go through this plate. With a c6 the gear vendors would end up inside of it as well. I just don't think it will fit unless you go with the 'short' c6 gear vendors (which is more and requires a transmission tear down to install). By the time you get all of that done you may as well go with a later model 4 speed auto.

I'm wondering about installing a GEAR VENDORS overdrive. Can this be installed in a fastback without any floor modifications? I'd love to see some pictures if anyone has them. :idea:
I can tell you that it will and DOES fit as I installed one in my boss 351.

Yes please keep us posted and do a thread on this swap, i have looked at different options as well for my 521cid which i have a C6 for, since meeting a fellow 7123er at the Vegas Meet & Greet at Doug The Dogs house a nice gentleman who drove his Mach from Texas to the meet had put a gear vendors in before making the trek and swore it made the drive awesome, but i don't know if i want to spend the 2800 bucks to purchase just the parts for it when i could possibly do something better for the same price or cheaper.

The GV overdrive unit can be added behind either an automatic or a manual...makes no difference. And it allows you keep the rest of the drivetrain stock and orginal. Very good units.

There may have been some confusion...I don't think anyone was suggesting removing a toploader and installing an AOD into a B'1. Might have just assumed the car in qhestion was equipped with an auto...nor realized it was a BOSS.

Pull the toploader and stick it on a shelf... replace it with a tremec?
Not a totally satisfactory option. I'm running a T45 but have looked at the other 5 and 6 speed options available. I have a 3.89 rear gear and none of the common swap transmissions offer a first gear ratio that I like better than the Toploader's. The T45 can be installed without any alteration to the car which cannot be easily reversed. The others are larger and may require mods.

I'll cut up a car with no special value in a heartbeat, but a Boss 351 deserves better.

This might be one of the times a gear vendors makes sense.

I did put one in my 73 convertible. c6 and 3.50 gears. Super fun. 1 to 1 over is a blast. I am still getting the hang out of timing shifting to 2nd while disengaging the OD but it's sweet. And the OD makes it so nice on both the freeway and even just going 45 mph down the boulevard.

Back