tranny leaking fluid...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
well, I just got my motor rebuilt along with FMX tranny a few weeks ago. And, today was the first day I actually drove it around the block. First...I gotta say "SHE's" got some balls on her!!! hahahaha. Wow...car got some power...very happy with the rebuild. Well, on to my question....like I said, I got the FMX rebuilt and put in 2 gallons of tranny fluid...1 gallon equals 4 quarts, so I figured 8 would be good. I check the fluid level and it looked like it was too much. So, I figured maybe I just need to drive it, warm it up and the fluid will go down. Well, when I got back home, I noticed there was fluid on the ground and it looked like it was coming from the vacuum modulator.

Questions:

if I put too much fluid, will it spit it out from the modulator?

I checked my fluid level again and it still showed like there was too much fluid, it was at least 2 inches above the "full" mark.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

There is vent on top of the trans and it will come out there when you drive it with the fluid level to high. Set the fluid level to the correct mark and then check for leaks. A bad modulator can leak but the engine usually burns the fluid as it is sucked up the vacuum line.

There is vent on top of the trans and it will come out there when you drive it with the fluid level to high. Set the fluid level to the correct mark and then check for leaks. A bad modulator can leak but the engine usually burns the fluid as it is sucked up the vacuum line.
Thanks 73Mach for the quick reply!!!! Awesome.

I will check the vent.

I am NOT a transmission guy but it is my understanding that the FMX transmission capacity from a "dry start" is approximately eleven (11) pints. This would mean that your 2 gallons (16 pints) is about five (5) pints too much.

Again, I am not sure about this (FMX capacity) but someone will probably post up shortly to confirm or disagree:).

BT

I am NOT a transmission guy but it is my understanding that the FMX transmission capacity from a "dry start" is approximately eleven (11) pints. This would mean that your 2 gallons (16 pints) is about five (5) pints too much.

Again, I am not sure about this (FMX capacity) but someone will probably post up shortly to confirm or disagree:).

BT
Holy Smokes!! 5 pints too much!!! Wow!!

I just remember the tranny rebuilder saying he put 1 quart in the converter. And that's it. So, that would be considered dry still, right???

BT
Holy Smokes!! 5 pints too much!!! Wow!!

I just remember the tranny rebuilder saying he put 1 quart in the converter. And that's it. So, that would be considered dry still, right???
Again, I am NOT a transmission guy but my understanding is that when "they" say "dry" start, they are speaking of starting from "no fluid in the converter or the transmission."

That would mean that you have about 7 pints too much, based on my math.

Any transmission Gurus on line?

BT

My book says 11 quarts if its completely dry. and 5 - 6 if its just a filter change or dropping of the pan. Sounds like you have a little too much and just need to drain some. Remember to check it warm running in park on flat ground.

Kevin

Ok, I have done a little research and according to my Sources, the '72 Sprint with 302 (which your car had from the factory per your Marti Report) would have had a eighteen (18) pint capacity when transmission is drained.

This would be with the Converter full, so the eleven (11) quart input sounds "right" for a 1972 302 Mustang with a totally dry Automatic transmission. This, of course, would equate to twenty-two (22) pints.

That having been said and not trying to insult you, but did you get the issue in the thread below resolved?

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-arrggg-need-help-advice

BT

I'm an idiot! I forgot to put the speed cable on! Pics coming! That has to be where fluid was coming out. But....its still has a lot of tranny fluid...probably need to drain some.

Here is pic of speed cable opening

2011-10-11 17.52.43.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an idiot! I forgot to put the speed cable on! Pics coming! That has to be where fluid was coming out. But....its still has a lot of tranny fluid...probably need to drain some.

rofl That will do it:D

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Glad you caught everything before doing major damage ::thumb:: now make sure you drain to proper level or you'll be doing another FMX rebuild LOL!

Back