Removing undercoat from plastic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I am sure others have had to address this issue and I would appreciate your guidance. My side marker lights in the quarters and fenders have a good coating of undercoating on them as well as the tailight housings inside of the trunk. Has anyone had any luck removing the undercoating without destroying the plastic? If so, what did you use and how did you do it. I want to maintain the original parts in this restoration. As always, thank you.

I am sure others have had to address this issue and I would appreciate your guidance. My side marker lights in the quarters and fenders have a good coating of undercoating on them as well as the tailight housings inside of the trunk. Has anyone had any luck removing the undercoating without destroying the plastic? If so, what did you use and how did you do it. I want to maintain the original parts in this restoration. As always, thank you.
One of the resto vids I did (tail lamps I think) Shows the product I used on the plastic housings Motsenbockers lift off water based stripper (home depot) works great !

[ One of the resto vids I did (tail lamps I think) Shows the product I used on the plastic housings Motsenbockers lift off water based stripper (home depot) works great !
Off to Saturday Morning Garage I go. As always Q, the expert on almost everything. Thank you.

One of the resto vids I did (tail lamps I think) Shows the product I used on the plastic housings Motsenbockers lift off water based stripper (home depot) works great !
Q,

I tried searching the forum and Saturday morning with tail lamps as the search criteria and no luck. Any other recommendations are where the vid may be located?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you find the video. However, here is a pic of before and after with a more amateur but what seemed to be a pretty effective method using varsol, scotchbrite pad and a rag. Didn't get rid of the overspray paint but got most of the undercoat with minimal effort.

IMG_1435.JPG

[ One of the resto vids I did (tail lamps I think) Shows the product I used on the plastic housings Motsenbockers lift off water based stripper (home depot) works great !
Off to Saturday Morning Garage I go. As always Q, the expert on almost everything. Thank you.

Q,

I tried searching the forum and Saturday morning with tail lamps as the search criteria and no luck. Any other recommendations are where the vid may be located?
I have more vids located on my you tube channel..

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut#p/u/8/6PgrdxLGS20

Here ya go B

Q,

Thanx for the link. Watched both of the tailight vids. Stopping at home depot on the way home tonight and probably a parts store for the Mequire's products. Fortunatly I have two sets of tail lamps to work on. I will practice on my spare set first.

Thanx as always,

Brian D.

Back