GREAT GARAGE-WORKSHOP ON THE CHEAP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Guy's,

I thought I would post up some pics & a how to build yourself a garage workshop on the cheap. This is how I did it & it's served me well for over 10 years ! I purchased (at the time it was cover it, now bought out by shelter logic) this 12 x 20 x 8 ROUND style portable garage from a shop who had never used it. Its the HEAVY DUTY 14.5 cover (Just now, 10 years old, started to show it's age with a few leaks & I'm replacing the skin this month) 2 key things the round style & 14.5oz skin. I do pull the snow off in the winter which is very important to do. I just checked & you can buy a brand new one same configuration for $849.00 + delivery. http://www.sheltersofnewengland.com/shelters_garages/12ft-wide_round.htm Since it's not considered a permanent structure, my town zoning doesn't require any permits the only thing they require is that it sits back 3 feet from the front corner of the house. When I had first set it up we had just put it right on top of the black top driveway. Over the years I had tried different schemes to keep water from running in onto the floor. None really worked. So when it rained we always had a wet floor. I decided to fix that problem this week before the new skin arrives. Here's how we did it. I purchased some 2x6x10 pressure treated wood to lay down some "sleepers" on both exterior walls. We then laid down a doubled up side by side 2x6x10 where the cars tires would ride on..then filled in the remaining space with 2x4x10's 12 inches on center. After that we installed 6mil plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier. Then laid down (deck screws) 1/2 inch plywood as the floor ...we ran the plywood 90 degrees to the sleepers. Then we applied 2 coats of porch & floor paint. Then I made a small set of ramps to drive up over the now raised floor. Came out real nice & once we put the new skin on it will be water tight ! Here's the break down: $178.00 for the sleepers & screws. $190.00 for the plywood..$24.95 for the paint...$849.00+shipping for a complete new garage TOTAL before shipping of the garage $1241.95.. Very cost effective & There's plenty of room to work inside.

100_2844.JPG

100_2845.JPG

100_2846.JPG

100_2847.JPG

100_2848.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea! I just wish I had room for one! I don't even have off street parking at my place!

I want one...
For the money you CAN'T go wrong ! Mine's been through every major storm in the last 10 years with no problems.

As soon as The mustang is ready to put on the rotisserie we are going to bring it here, since the Saturday Morning Garage doesn't have the headroom to rotate the rotisserie..This Garage does with no problem.

I had one similar to this. It was AWESOME!

Unforunately zoning laws were not in my favor and it had to come down after about 3 years.

Shelterlogic is another great company for Portables, and looks like there pricing is better, Harbor Freight sells this brand as well. I bought the 10ft x 15 ft shelter on sale at Harbor freight for only $188 with a coupon, I made a spray booth out of it.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryName=Garages

Shelterlogic is another great company for Portables, and looks like there pricing is better, Harbor Freight sells this brand as well. I bought the 10ft x 15 ft shelter on sale at Harbor freight for only $188 with a coupon, I made a spray booth out of it.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryName=Garages
The link I posted is for a shelterlogic portable..That company was the cheapest I could find at the time..A few weeks after I posted the orignal thread I replaced mine with the one I ordered from them..Worked out great since I was able to sell the old one on craigslist..sold in 1 day ! Here's the new $849.00 one from the co I posted the link to.

100_3067.JPG

100_3068.JPG

wow! I love the roominess of that model Portable Mr. Scott (aka: Qcode351mach), my 10ft x 15ft is cramped but the price was right and here are more pics of how I modded it to be a paint booth, incoming fan is unfiltered and I will eventually switch it to a filtered style, the outgoing exhaust is filtered, I had no overspray anywhere along with my HVLP spray gun I bought at Harbor freight for $49, all in all a nice setup for booth and gun for under $400, the exhaust fan will cost a pretty penny though.DSCF0647.jpgDSCF0646.jpg

Guy's,

I thought I would post up some pics & a how to build yourself a garage workshop on the cheap. This is how I did it & it's served me well for over 10 years ! I purchased (at the time it was cover it, now bought out by shelter logic) this 12 x 20 x 8 ROUND style portable garage from a shop who had never used it. Its the HEAVY DUTY 14.5 cover (Just now, 10 years old, started to show it's age with a few leaks & I'm replacing the skin this month) 2 key things the round style & 14.5oz skin. I do pull the snow off in the winter which is very important to do. I just checked & you can buy a brand new one same configuration for $849.00 + delivery. http://www.sheltersofnewengland.com/shelters_garages/12ft-wide_round.htm Since it's not considered a permanent structure, my town zoning doesn't require any permits the only thing they require is that it sits back 3 feet from the front corner of the house. When I had first set it up we had just put it right on top of the black top driveway. Over the years I had tried different schemes to keep water from running in onto the floor. None really worked. So when it rained we always had a wet floor. I decided to fix that problem this week before the new skin arrives. Here's how we did it. I purchased some 2x6x10 pressure treated wood to lay down some "sleepers" on both exterior walls. We then laid down a doubled up side by side 2x6x10 where the cars tires would ride on..then filled in the remaining space with 2x4x10's 12 inches on center. After that we installed 6mil plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier. Then laid down (deck screws) 1/2 inch plywood as the floor ...we ran the plywood 90 degrees to the sleepers. Then we applied 2 coats of porch & floor paint. Then I made a small set of ramps to drive up over the now raised floor. Came out real nice & once we put the new skin on it will be water tight ! Here's the break down: $178.00 for the sleepers & screws. $190.00 for the plywood..$24.95 for the paint...$849.00+shipping for a complete new garage TOTAL before shipping of the garage $1241.95.. Very cost effective & There's plenty of room to work inside.
Interesting electrical work.

this is exactly what I had untill the other day when it clapsed during the blizzard.

not designed to hold up the wind blowen snow.
Ouch! Car OK?

Hate to see that!

Ray
the car is doing better then I was that day :)

it just walked away with the scratch. I got really Lucky.

Back