Hello from Albuquerque

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stang Me

Reaction score
My Car
71 Fastback
Hi everybody,

My name is Russ and I am from Albuquerque N.M. I'm not only happy, but excited as well to find this site.

I'm not only a newbie, man I'm a newbie in diapers. I know nothing about restoring or building a mustang. But by golly I own a beat up one now. 71 Fastback. I look forward to gaining all of you folks expertise in building this puppy.

Thanks for having me!

Front Fastback.jpg

Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing your progress on that awesome car.

Welcome to the site. As a first time owner here myself you will soon see that we have a lot of knowledge here from the more experienced owners.I know they will be able to answer all of your future questions.Glad to have you aboard.

I will also take the time to thank all the guys here for all the help on behalf of me and I am sure everyone else who has come here for help.

Keep up the good work.

::goodjob::

WELCOME aboard, Russ!

I am glad to hear that you are impressed with the site. I am sure, that even as a self-proclaimed "Newbee", you will have the opportunity to bring something positive to the Site - - You have found a home!

I look forward to interacting with you on the forums - - please, don't hesitate to post your thoughts and/or questions.

BT

Welcome . Glade to have you keep us posted.
Thanks for the welcome everybody! It will be a while before any work is actually started. The car is in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and I am in Albuquerque. Will keep you posted once work has begun tho

Thanks again

Welcome to the club, Russ! As others have said, you've come to the right place for info on "our" cars.

Even though work is scheduled for sometime in the future, you might want to stop by periodically and read some posts - that's what I did before I even picked up a wrench, and I got a lot of great ideas from the experts here.

Again, welcome aboard!

Doc

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

Welcome and good luck, just remember everyone has to start somewhere. There was many years I wished I just had a starting point. That's the first step.

There are a lot more sources out there now than there used to be so good luck and have fun. In my case it seems to take two things, time and money, when I have one i usually don't have the other, but seems to work out in the end.

Hi Russ and welcome. As you hear from members, "everyone starts somewhere", and if it does get finished its to your own liking. Use the help of numbers shairing coming likes.

welcome saw your car on VMF and posted in the thread. I think we can help :)

welcome.

Thanks everyone, yes I found it in Texas and hope to be moving there in the next couple of months. So I'll get settled in and then start in on the car. Do people start with the body 1st, or else where?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

It's mostly a matter of personal choice, I believe.

Personnally, I want all of the safety things (brakes, suspension, etc.) taken care of before I put more muscle into the motor. It's nice to go fast, but even nicer to stop when you want or need to. :)

And for me, the pretty stuff is last on the list. I don't want my car to be a "all show and no go" poseur. LOL

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
everything will depend on 3 things

1) the condition of the car. if the rust is minimal and nothing structural, then you can put off the body as long as you want.

2) your skill set.

3) your time. I have a lot of projects i wanted to do this year for the car that i just never found the time for.

for me i had zero skills just a few years ago. i decided to tackle what i could reasonably do myself and build up confidence.

I started with the interior, i learned upholstery. i redid all my seats, then moved on to interior panels, headliner, then into the dashboard.

i did minor electrical repair, just the basics. This led to the car being drivable, and also put my life in danger a few times because i didn't know enough about other things that were wrong.

it took me a year to do the interior most of that time was collecting parts i didn't have, slowly i built my skills in restoring parts one by one. i learned very basic welding at this point.

with the electrical done and the interior 90% restored, i took the car out on the road, on trips and discovered engine and brake problems.

this lead to my first en-devour into engine repairs i had never touched an engine before, i learned to do a tune up, and i learned how carbs worked and how specialized engine tools were suppose to be used. I replaced my distributor and thermostat and had many bumps along the way, and got the engine running ok, not great. I did my first oil and filter change. and changed my fuel pump.

with more and more driving time under my belt, i then turned my attention to my brake issues. what started as a simple brake service turned into an entire brake system replacement. 100% replacement of my original system needed to be done, and i did it myself.

this confidence allowed me to go back to my engine issues, and with a better skill set i learned my engine was in fact terminal, this led to me removing my engine and transmission to be send out for rebuilding.

once the engine was out, major structural issues were found and the body was sent out to a metal fabricator for 6 months of repairs. The metal fabricator reported back to me as a car hobbyist that my suspension did not look good either.

when i got the car back, it was at that point i felt confidant in my skills enough that i completely gutted the car down to the chassis. i striped everything the interior the wires, dash, it was just a shell.

then i spent the next 6 months restoring the chassis and looking it over. I even did paint work.

in the end i replaced:

body parts.

The entire fuel, and vapor return system, from the tank to the carb and from the tank to the fuel vapor canister.

i rebuilt the entire electrical harness for the car.

The entire climate control system, including A/C.

the entire brake system.

the entire suspension system.

the power steering system, including column.

The glass.

then reinstalling everything back, dash interior.

engine was rebuilt.

transmission was rebuilt ,but with issues, thanks to a disreputable transmission service place, forcing me to rebuild the valve body myself.

right now for the winter projects i'm rebuilding my rear axle from the ground up so the restoration never ends.

I hit every single major system on the car and basically replaced it.

all this in 5 years starting with no tools and no skills.

the great part is, all my skills i learned working on my restoration was applied to my daily drivers in the form of suspension, brake, A/C, electrical, and engine, saving me some money and gaining more skills.

So start where you feel comfortable, you don't have to start by ripping a car down to the ground and starting from scratch. I would say that is a bad place to start and you will feel overwhelmed very fast and you will become depressed and scared as a whole. Start small. start with documentation. lots of documentation, learn about the car, learn what the car needs, tackle one project at a time. remember if you take it all on at once it will cost you alot of money, time, and space. a car taken apart will take up 4 times the amount of space as the original car.

at my height of restoration my entire basement in my house was filled with car parts, that spilled out of the garage. 2 years later after major work I'm still throwing stuff out.

stay steady, stay focused, start small, get lots and lots of reference material, take lots of pictures!

Oh never throw a part out until you have found the correct 100% replacement for it. you will need the original part for reference and it may have parts attached to it not included with the replacement.

never every throw a part away even if it is broken until the replacement is found and 100% correct. i blew a 1000$ on that type of mistake.

Remember the forum when you need a shoulder to cry on.

OUTSTANDING advice from 72HCODE!!

I will amplify a couple of things.

1. Document your efforts by breaking the "project" down into the major systems. For example: Body, Engine, Transmission, Rear End, Brakes, Electrical, Cooling, Charging, Interior.

2. Make a "check list" for each of those systems with notes as to what you "believe" need to be done. This should be based on your ULTIMATE desire for the car and should give you some idea as to where you are with the project.

3. Gather information to validate your "beliefs" relative to what needs to be done. The Forums should be a great place to do that.

4. Proceed (as 72HCODE advised) based on your finances and/or skill sets.

Per my observation, it would appear that another member on this site (DOC) is using that approach and I STRONGLY believe it will prove EXTREMELY positive for him in the long run. The "KEY" is to determine what you REALLY want out of the car as it relates to its personality.

Keep in mind that assistance is just a couple of key strokes away - - we have all kinds of expertise on this site.

Try to ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

BT

After pulling my 73 vert out of storage I went through it mechanically till it was in good running condition. Then I put plates and state inspection and had it in driveable condition so I could enjoy while doing minor mechanical tweaks and prep for the body work (had to save up money too). Once the body and paint was in the budget I parked it and took everything off that I could before sending the body shop for the final prep. I had it on the road within a year and drove it around for about three years before going to the body shop.

You should find plenty of advice and encouragement here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back