Hello from the UK

UKsilverMach1

First got into muscle cars when my father took me to pictures in '68. No guessing what film it was and what hilly City it was set in :)

In my early fifties, I've been into muscle cars ever since, not even exotics could make me stray. Cars need presence and character and muscle cars certainly have that, along with affordable power.

My first sighting of a '71 was in 71, there was also a '71 lime green Boss351 in my town that I would regularly walk miles just to look at. Moving on I first owned a Mustang in 1980 - a 71 302 C4 with white paint and blue interior. Since then I've owned a whole catalogue of Mustangs along with a Trans Am and a couple of vettes.

Recently I've had the urge to get another 71-73 mustang before they get out of reach, price wise and came across a '72 Mach1 with 302 2V and 3 speed manual that was sat in an outhouse for the last 32 years. The car is light pewter metallic with black carpet and dash, with red seats door panels and rear interior.

Who ever stored it away had the foresight to coat the underneath in an oily substance and by chance it has sat in an enviroment that has been kind to the car, consquently the car has no rust although it could do with a back panel. The doors all open and clunk like new. The engine is seized along with the brakes but these are more affordable replacements than panels, so I consider myself lucky.

The Mustang has covered a mere 57,000 miles, I have old road tests and tax discs to confirm. I have taken the mustang straight to a garage where the first job they will undertake is to strip the front end and engine, rebuild the engine, blast the frame and paint the engine bay. Reinstall the engine, detail the engine bay and get the car roadworthy, leaving other jobs like a repaint till later.

This way I will only have the car off the road for short spells at a time. In the meantime I hope to drain you all of any knowledge of these beautiful beasts so we can save another one for the future.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice looks good for having sat for 32 years. ::welcome:: from Ancaster Ontario Canada.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

Welcome from South Alabama, Very Nice looking Mustang there

2zdx09d.png

Yea,Tho i cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice,I will fear no Turbo,For Torque art with me.Thy rods and crankshaft,they comfort me. :D Robert [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=357]Visit My Garage[/button]

oh wow! one of my fav color combo. Interesting strip on passenger side of the car. I like it! Congrats! What does that sticker say on the top of the windshield? Appears to be some kinda Mustang club. ::welcome::

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Thanks for brief history of you and muscle cars; it was interesting to read.

Looks like you found a great Mach 1. I agree that the body is more important than the mechanics. Sounds like you have a good plan to fix and little at a time and keep driving it.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Welcome from Leland North Carolina. Hope you enjoy it here.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Welcome from washington state too ;) And thats defenatly a british style stripe on your mach..nice car and a survivor!! specialy with how rainy it is over there..and the humidity....What part of uk you from? My family all morgans...We are Welsh...My ex lives in london...They charge any extra taxes on that car? For size of motor and such?

That's not even a diamond in the rough, it's a diamond that only needs some minor polishing. Even the interior is in great condition. Good story, too.

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg

Many thanks for the welcome! Good to see the 71-73 has such a strong following world wide.

Been away for a couple of days with the family so it was good to come back and see a strong community following the 'Wedge shape'.

Regarding the car - it will be restored absolutely stock, but with a few tasteful additions. The 302 and three speed will remain, once they've been serviced. The only upgrades will be electronic ignition, dual stock exhaust and anything that can help the engine improve it's smooth running. I've read that the carb can be rebuilt by various companies, Stateside, with some modifications that iron out any earlier running or response problems.

The body work will be redone the same colour with Mach1 stripes, although I will add a ram air hood and front and rear spoiler. I will also keep the same hub caps and rims but will add tyres with a thin white wall. The stripe going over the car will be removed.

Great to see some fantastic examples of 71-73 mustangs on the website. Great website by the way.

Once again many thanks for your respnses.

Welcome. I spent about five years stationed there with my 73.

Nice one, where abouts?

Welcome from washington state too ;) And thats defenatly a british style stripe on your mach..nice car and a survivor!! specialy with how rainy it is over there..and the humidity....What part of uk you from? My family all morgans...We are Welsh...My ex lives in london...They charge any extra taxes on that car? For size of motor and such?

Hi, I live on the edge of London and by the river Thames.

Any vehicle on or before 1973 is entitled to free road tax in the UK.

oh wow! one of my fav color combo. Interesting strip on passenger side of the car. I like it! Congrats! What does that sticker say on the top of the windshield? Appears to be some kinda Mustang club. ::welcome::

Hi, that's an old 'Mustang owners Club Great Britian' sticker.

Nice one, where abouts?

Was stationed at RAF Mildenhall. Used to do a lot of shows like the Billing Summer Nats, and various others. Was there from 93-01.

Mike

Black 1985 GT

Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's

Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390ci, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI