SN71

Dude, that is SICK! I can't even imagine fabricating stuff like that. Respect!

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so it was a little more than 2 hrs, but it's done and looks great! I'll drag it out into the driveway tomorrow and take some better pics in the daylight.

ea2e430f.jpg

2011smallsig_zps31c630dc.png

"It's what you learn after you know it

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

Ok, so it was a little more than 2 hrs, but it's done and looks great! I'll drag it out into the driveway tomorrow and take some better pics in the daylight.

ea2e430f.jpg

Looks great !!!! A thought..instead of cutting up that rotisserie how bout selling or renting it to me :shy:

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

Looks great !!!! A thought..instead of cutting up that rotisserie how bout selling or renting it to me :shy:

lol! Not exactly sure yet what I'm doing with it, I'm trying to think of a way I can make it a dolly, and convert easily back to a rotisserie. It's just too damn easy to paint it on its side rather then on my back! I'd like to get it onto a dolly, do panel fitting, then back up to do final underside painting???

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

lol! Not exactly sure yet what I'm doing with it, I'm trying to think of a way I can make it a dolly, and convert easily back to a rotisserie. It's just too damn easy to paint it on its side rather then on my back! I'd like to get it onto a dolly, do panel fitting, then back up to do final underside painting???

I can save you a bunch a work..I have a dolly already made !! The one I made for my car.. How about I give you the dolly..Let me rent the rotisserie..& when I'm done return it, & you can keep the dolly. Of course I would deliver right to your door !

Here's a few pics of the dolly if you're interested I can snap some better pics

100_1308.thumb.JPG.b998aefe997cd7ae4750bbe47c0eaa05.JPG100_2018.thumb.JPG.083e35514f47eb3c4a83b004cf9a7492.JPG

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

I can save you a bunch a work..I have a dolly already made !! The one I made for my car.. How about I give you the dolly..Let me rent the rotisserie..& when I'm done return it, & you can keep the dolly. Of course I would deliver right to your door !

Here's a few pics of the dolly if you're interested I can snap some better pics

I am a very patient man- but not that patient, you take it to another level. That is a project that I ask myself why would a guy do that? The answer is because YOU CAN and are very good at it! Hats off to you, keep up the good work!;)

ea2e430f.jpg

Wow. Wish I lived in Connecticut and had friends with rotisseries and dollies. :D :D :D

OK - right there toward the back of trunk pan about 6" or 7" in front of the rear cross member just inboard of the frame rails: those two small (1"-ish) "brackets" with the holes in them. What are they for?! I still have mine, but have no idea where to put them (until now). I know Don said they're nothing to worry about, and I'm good with his answer - but dammit I'm still curious! :D

Based on their proximity to the gas tank, I'm wondering if they're supposed to be for tank stability, to keep the tank spaced off the bottom of the trunk pan, or maybe extra brackets to keep the exhaust tips from 'bouncing' or something.

BTW - that's some fine work you got going on there. Can't wait to see it back on its wheels!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Some more pics...

18c794c9.jpg

f537a02c.jpg

35202b70.jpg

012834be.jpg

ea2e430f.jpg

Wow. Wish I lived in Connecticut and had friends with rotisseries and dollies. :D :D :D

OK - right there toward the back of trunk pan about 6" or 7" in front of the rear cross member just inboard of the frame rails: those two small (1"-ish) "brackets" with the holes in them. What are they for?! I still have mine, but have no idea where to put them (until now). I know Don said they're nothing to worry about, and I'm good with his answer - but dammit I'm still curious! :D

Based on their proximity to the gas tank, I'm wondering if they're supposed to be for tank stability, to keep the tank spaced off the bottom of the trunk pan, or maybe extra brackets to keep the exhaust tips from 'bouncing' or something.

BTW - that's some fine work you got going on there. Can't wait to see it back on its wheels!

Damned if I remember what they're for?!?! They were on the rotted floor I cut out, so I welded 'em back in the same place. I took it apart about 8 years ago, I'm gonna be wingin' a lot of stuff on re-assembly ;) just hope I took good enough reference pics along the way???

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

With your evident fabricating skills it wouldn't take much to make a dolly for your car using suspension mounting points giving you actual weight transfer points.

The rotisserie would still be intack for future use or loan.

I enjoy your work.

With your evident fabricating skills it wouldn't take much to make a dolly for your car using suspension mounting points giving you actual weight transfer points.

The rotisserie would still be intack for future use or loan.

I enjoy your work.

Thanks for the compliments! The thing I'm trying to avoid by converting the rotisserie into a dolly is the cost of having to buy all new steel and casters. Being unemployed at the moment it's tight enough for me to pick up a $30 tube of seam sealer, let alone $200+ on dolly material when I have it sitting right in front of me.

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

Not good news when a man of your inheirent tallent is unemployed!

I understand the issue but hate to see you loose the rotisserie. A few well thought out changes and you'll come up with that convertible dolly/rotisserie!

My plan was to final spray the entire interior of the shell before I took it of the rotisserie. After some thinking I decided this would'nt be the best idea as I still have quite a bit of fab and bodywork I want to do which would inevitably screw up a nice paint job on the floors and dash with welding slag an the occasional bondo splatter.

So, last night I decided to just prep and paint the inside of the roof skin, which would suck to do upside down! So here's the result. Next step...off the rotisserie :D

915c2ff9.jpg

3b45a9d1.jpg

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

Man, that looks like a mirror! Remind me again of what independent rear you are putting in? Great photos BTW!

Thanks! I'm using an IRS from a '99-'04 Cobra, as well as an SN95 front suspension. As of right now, I have the complete IRS minus the center section and axles because I got it cheap from a guy who blew out one axle and the center section then swapped for a solid 8.8 rear. I have 90% of the front as well less brakes.

I've decided not to re-use my rotisserie. Once I had the car down I realized there was plenty of room under it to do what I need to do to paint it when the time comes (as long as I don't fall asleep on my cozy creeper;)) and I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting it up there again once things are minted out on the bottom. And I don't think my method of removal and installation is quite OSHA approved! :D

e73d4289.jpg

30a6f961.jpg

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

Looking good, thanks for the including us in your venture, interesting stuff!

Jim

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

I've been going pretty steady since coming off the rotisserie. So far I have the shell almost completely stripped, the left quarter light almost shaved, welded the left quarter panel seam solid, an started plotting my flush mount glass. Here are some pics:

e568832c.jpg

6d0fce46.jpg

38752d39.jpg

f54c97ee.jpg

48a36ad0.jpg

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

I am speechless! Your work is fantastic.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

I am speechless! Your work is fantastic.

Thanks!

It's positive feedback about the project that keeps me motivated to finish it.

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

• 1 month later...

Obsidian, did you media blast the car or strip everything yourself?

1971 Mach 1 351C

2001 Cobra 4.6L 4v

2006 S281 Saleen 4.6L Supercharged

Obsidian, did you media blast the car or strip everything yourself?

I've been tackling one section at a time with aircraft stripper followed by d/a sanding with 80 grit. After that I've been hitting the bare metal with a quick shot of phosphoric acid, then etch primer, then primer surfacer. I'll block out what I can with that dose of surfacer, do my filler work on top of that, more surfacer, touch up body work, and then final surfacer. I'm using this process because I'm not a huge fan of epoxy primers.

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

dude, i envy your talent and time to get this mustang done. i am trying to figure out how to get mine from texas to california without spending an arm and a leg to ship it becasue it doesnt run, then finding a place to do this kind of work on it once it gets here, houses with garages are not cheap here! keep up the good work, by the way i think i have a rubber mold solution figured out to do the taillights a little cheaper than CNC!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

dude, i envy your talent and time to get this mustang done. i am trying to figure out how to get mine from texas to california without spending an arm and a leg to ship it becasue it doesnt run, then finding a place to do this kind of work on it once it gets here, houses with garages are not cheap here! keep up the good work, by the way i think i have a rubber mold solution figured out to do the taillights a little cheaper than CNC!

Whatcha got??? I'm still researching all options on making them.

all that counts."

-Chip Foose

• 4 months later...

Got the interior floor in paint last week and finally posting some pics. I was going to hold off on this until I finished doing some welding and stuff on the outside shell to avoid slag from burning the paint, but sometimes you need to see some significant progress to get motivated...and thats what welding blankets are for ;)

photo_zpsb2f0ffac.jpg

photo1_zpsec1a2681.jpg

all that counts."

-Chip Foose