High Rise Manifold with Ram Air ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBelv57

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang
Hello all,

I currently have a 2Bbl. carb. on my 72' with working Ram Air (including air cleaner). I would like to put on my 4Bbl. Weiand "Action Plus" high rise intake and Holley 600cfm that I had on the car before. I never had it on with the Ram Air setup and I was wondering if there would be any hood clearance problems with a high rise as opposed to a stock 4Bbl. low rise.

Thanks in advance for your input, Mario.

Hello all,

I currently have a 2Bbl. carb. on my 72' with working Ram Air (including air cleaner). I would like to put on my 4Bbl. Weiand "Action Plus" high rise intake and Holley 600cfm that I had on the car before. I never had it on with the Ram Air setup and I was wondering if there would be any hood clearance problems with a high rise as opposed to a stock 4Bbl. low rise.

Thanks in advance for your input, Mario.
The only listing I can find for a Weiand Action plus is for a 351M/400M. Is it an older intake?

If you increase the height of the carb, you will have a clearance problem. if you have a 1/2" or 1" spacer between the carb and intake, like an egr, you may be able to make up the difference be eliminating that piece. Place a straight edge over the intake where the carb mounts and measure the distance to one of the bolt holes on the side of the intake, where it mounts to the head. Now measure the same spot on your stock intake, or top of spacer/egr, if you have one. The difference is how much higher your carb will sit.

Got a Weiand 7517 for sale. $150 plus shipping.
The gasket between the air cleaner and plenum will flatten out so it might work. I had far more problems trying to find an electronic ignition setup (distributor, etc.) that would fit with the ram air air cleaner. I never did. :(

Don't forget to factor in a certain amount of movement of the engine when you rev it up. The motor mounts don't hold it perfectly still and what works with the engine off, may not when you stab the gas.

Steve

I have a Weiand Xcellerator on my 73. The gasket is quite flat but it fits.

Got a Weiand 7517 for sale. $150 plus shipping.
The gasket between the air cleaner and plenum will flatten out so it might work. I had far more problems trying to find an electronic ignition setup (distributor, etc.) that would fit with the ram air air cleaner. I never did. :(
I have the Ram Air system and run an Offinhouser 360 intake with out a spacer, no problems. I also run a Mallory unilite distributor with no issues.

Thanks for the input guys, I will measure the intake with a flat edge just to be sure and yes "c9zx" it is an older intake. I think I bought it from Summit in 1992 or 93 but you are right it is no longer listed.

Mario.

Back