speaker size and locations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
while I'm waiting on my engine rebuild, I'm working on brakes and interior. What size rear speakers and where are people mounting them? The rear deck holes look narrow, will the rear seat side trim panels hold speakers?

I will recommend you do not cut any plastic side panels for speaker installation.

These original panels are so rare to find now unmolested and they are so expensive to replace.

If your panels are already cut up then it doesn't matter.

If you have a non fold down rear seat then traditionally you put the speakers through the package tray and you cut the fiber insert and the metal in the trunk. Somebody did that to my car.

That gives you the rear speaker mounts.

In the front you can either install speakers in the doors, or kick panels they make aftermarket molded speaker houses for the kick panels. For the doors you can get factory style grills and make it look like your car came with a factory am/fm radio.

Then you can also install a dual center channel speaker under the dash pad.

This was the factory mount for the am radio mono speaker channel.

My car originally had an am radio so I only got the center speaker in the dash, then somebody later added a sears radio and installed 2 rear speakers on the package tray.

I trashed the entire thing and went back to stock, but I installed a dual voice speaker in place of the mono speaker and installed a oem am/fm radio. I've thought about installed a complete fm system in the doors but haven't found all the pieces, honestly the sound isn't that bad with the stock radio setup, granted it's tinny but I figured it was the way to cause the least amount of damage.

Most of time people cut the rear quarter panels or if they have fold downs they put them at the top of the rear quarter trim or further back on the trunk wall sides.

They have new types of speaker systems you could install under the seats and it's suppose to be just as good as a surround sound system Boise makes something like that.

I will recommend you do not cut any plastic side panels for speaker installation.

These original panels are so rare to find now unmolested and they are so expensive to replace.

If your panels are already cut up then it doesn't matter.

If you have a non fold down rear seat then traditionally you put the speakers through the package tray and you cut the fiber insert and the metal in the trunk. Somebody did that to my car.

That gives you the rear speaker mounts.

In the front you can either install speakers in the doors, or kick panels they make aftermarket molded speaker houses for the kick panels. For the doors you can get factory style grills and make it look like your car came with a factory am/fm radio.

Then you can also install a dual center channel speaker under the dash pad.

This was the factory mount for the am radio mono speaker channel.

My car originally had an am radio so I only got the center speaker in the dash, then somebody later added a sears radio and installed 2 rear speakers on the package tray.

I trashed the entire thing and went back to stock, but I installed a dual voice speaker in place of the mono speaker and installed a oem am/fm radio. I've thought about installed a complete fm system in the doors but haven't found all the pieces, honestly the sound isn't that bad with the stock radio setup, granted it's tinny but I figured it was the way to cause the least amount of damage.

Most of time people cut the rear quarter panels or if they have fold downs they put them at the top of the rear quarter trim or further back on the trunk wall sides.

They have new types of speaker systems you could install under the seats and it's suppose to be just as good as a surround sound system Boise makes something like that.
Thanks for the imput. Seems like front dash pad and rear deck for least damage and less work. Alan

count the doors also, since they make good repo parts you can hack away, you could easily get an 8 speaker system in the car without too much damage.

2 in the door, 2 in the kick panels, 2 in the center dash, 2 in the rear. the system would have more output to the front but with big rears and a good amp and good sound insulation you should be able to balance it well.

sound insulation is going to be a big thing otherwise you will hear every tinny piece of metal rattling around the interior.

something like dynamat or they make a sound proofing bedliner type of spray like undercoat you have to mask everything off that shouldn't get covered in it but its a good seal.

don at ohio sells the 71-73 kick panel speaker pods.

Someone mounted 5-1/4" speakers in the front kick panels of the 71 Mach1. Seems like a good place to put them as it doesn't mess up the dash, doors or anything else. You can barely even see them down there!

I used the stock locations in the doors and dual speaker located in the stock dash location with OEM am/fm. Looks stock, no cutting required, sounds OK, not great. A modern radio would help it sound much better but I just can't bear to put one in.

Chuck

while I'm waiting on my engine rebuild, I'm working on brakes and interior. What size rear speakers and where are people mounting them? The rear deck holes look narrow, will the rear seat side trim panels hold speakers?
I added the speaker like 72HCode suggested in the dash: the one speaker that has dual center channel speakers. Then I sprayed the inside of the doors with lizardskin, cut holes, installed speakers and added the factory speaker grilles on the door panels. That is all I could do since mine is a ragtop and I didn't want to cut the panels in the back seat.

I added the speaker like 72HCode suggested in the dash: the one speaker that has dual center channel speakers. Then I sprayed the inside of the doors with lizardskin, cut holes, installed speakers and added the factory speaker grilles on the door panels. That is all I could do since mine is a ragtop and I didn't want to cut the panels in the back seat.
Any chance you could post a pic or two? I'd love to see the final result so I can get ideas for my convertible as well.

Doc

I posted a couple of pics in the 71 gallery. There is an interior pic where you can see the door speaker and a pic with no interior, just a firewall pad and you can see the lizard skin. I can get closeups of whatever you want. I can even offer the sprayer for the lizard skin as long as I get it back in the same condition. That would save you some bucks.

I posted a couple of pics in the 71 gallery. There is an interior pic where you can see the door speaker and a pic with no interior, just a firewall pad and you can see the lizard skin. I can get closeups of whatever you want. I can even offer the sprayer for the lizard skin as long as I get it back in the same condition. That would save you some bucks.
IS the Lizzard skin good for both noise and heat or are there two different versions?

Wow! That is a very kind offer, Robotec. Right now, though, I've just finished the rear suspension and am diving head first into my first head rebuild, so I'm kind of focusing on that for awhiile. I just wanted to get some ideas to file for future reference. I really like how the speakers look. Thanks for the pics.

Doc

IS the Lizzard skin good for both noise and heat or are there two different versions?

There are 2 different versions. You don't have to use them both but if you use both you do you have to put them on in the correct order.

There are 2 different versions. If you choose to use them both the intructions say which one to spray first. Are you also thinking of doing it?

Wow! That is a very kind offer, Robotec. Right now, though, I've just finished the rear suspension and am diving head first into my first head rebuild, so I'm kind of focusing on that for awhiile. I just wanted to get some ideas to file for future reference. I really like how the speakers look. Thanks for the pics.

Doc

Thanks! Those are coaxial 6x9's in the door behind the factory grille. Not -all- but most of the speaker shows thru, all of the tweeter part does tho. I really don't lose much if any sound. I wanted more bass than the other sizes have.

Sounds like you are having some fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 different versions. If you choose to use them both the intructions say which one to spray first. Are you also thinking of doing it?

Doc

Thanks! Those are coaxial 6x9's in the door behind the factory grille. Not -all- but most of the speaker shows thru, all of the tweeter part does tho. I really don't lose much if any sound. I wanted more bass than the other sizes have.

Sounds like you are having some fun!

Been going back and forth on the lizzard skin and the dyna-mat. looks like the lizzard skin would actually be easier to apply, but around here people are afraid of the unknown(something new). But I want something for heat and noise some still doing my homework. But its good to here from someone who has actually used it.

By the way, what is the size of the rear deck speaker openings under the fiber board? Are they 6x9"? Do conventional 6x9" speakers fit in those holes?

As far as I know the factory never built in rear speakers on a Mach 1 (no rear tilt seat back). The stereo equipped versions only had speakers in the doors and AM equipped cars had a speaker in the dash top center.

Michael

The P/O of my car cut speaker holes in the interior rear quarters....and put speakers in my console.....what a mess....right now I only have wind noise as I found a new console and some rear quarters that aren't overly scabby looking . Take a look at the sales video of my car in the garage section...and you can see what I had to deal with for speakers.

I heard that with the kick panel speakers there mightbe issues with clearence for the foot pedal for the park brake ....can anyone confirm this or does it fit in nicely?

Ken

Mine also have some shavings, but only at the main hole. They seem to be widened up in the past. The mounting holes for the screws are still okay and are untouched.

I will download a template for a 6x9 speaker from a speaker manufacturer and look if it matches to the pattern in the back of the Mach 1.

Michael

Back