C-6 to T-5 swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Well, I'm getting started on my 5-speed swap. Since there are no documented C-6 to T-5 swaps that I can find on the net i figured why not post my exploits here. My parts selection may be unique to this particular swap but there is a reason for their selection... so here it goes. The main purpose for the car is to have a real nice driving road car that will get decent fuel mileage and go anywhere, anytime.

The trans is a used T-5 from a 95 Mustang GT, it was selected because the input shaft is roughly 3/4" longer than the earlier T-5 which is popular in Mustangdom. The bellhousing is from a 3.8 liter V-6 since it allows the use of a 164 tooth flywheel and an 11" clutch (not that my car needs an 11" clutch :D) and pressure plate. The main reason is it is much more plentiful than the 5.0 bellhousing. The shifter is a stock t-5 piece that was free from a friend. The first new piece was the block plate since I could not find a new one. The clutch and diaphragm pressure plate are stock replacement parts, very low buck. I will be custom fabricate the clutch linkage and the trans mount.

Tonight I got the car up in the air and removed the driver's seat, console and shifter. I'll post as more progress is made.

1021112011.jpg

1021112011a.jpg

1021112045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm getting started on my 5-speed swap. Since there are no documented C-6 to T-5 swaps that I can find on the net i figured why not post my exploits here. My parts selection may be unique to this particular swap but there is a reason for their selection... so here it goes. The main purpose for the car is to have a real nice driving road car that will get decent fuel mileage and go anywhere, anytime.

The trans is a used T-5 from a 95 Mustang GT, it was selected because the input shaft is roughly 3/4" longer than the earlier T-5 which is popular in Mustangdom. The bellhousing is from a 3.8 liter V-6 since it allows the use of a 164 tooth flywheel and an 11" clutch (not that my car needs an 11" clutch :D) and pressure plate. The main reason is it is much more plentiful than the 5.0 bellhousing. The shifter is a stock t-5 piece that was free from a friend. The first new piece was the block plate since I could not find a new one. The clutch and diaphragm pressure plate are stock replacement parts, very low buck. I will be custom fabricate the clutch linkage and the trans mount.

Tonight I got the car up in the air and removed the driver's seat, console and shifter. I'll post as more progress is made.

Awesome. I too will be doing this swap in my M-code; just have a ton of body work to complete first. Thanks for sharing the info.

Cool, one of these years I'll swap in a T-56 into my Mustang. I'll have to keep a close eye on this swap for some tips and tricks.

I don't think it will be an issue the trans is rated at 300 ft/lb and my Cleveland is a very mild piece. The car is a driver and I will not be racing it. There are many parts available to upgrade the strength if it fails. They used virtually the same trans behind the Cobras IIRC that was rated @ 330 ft/lb.

Famous last words... "It SHOULD be OK" LOL!

I don't think it will be an issue the trans is rated at 300 ft/lb and my Cleveland is a very mild piece. The car is a driver and I will not be racing it. There are many parts available to upgrade the strength if it fails. They used virtually the same trans behind the Cobras IIRC that was rated @ 330 ft/lb.

Famous last words... "It SHOULD be OK" LOL!

If you happen to break the T-5 you can always get an aftermarket 5 speed like a TKO or a T56 6 speed.

I'm starting with a Tremec 3550 & scattershield that I already have. Bought the pedals already too. I need the 28oz flywheel, clutch, pressure plate & bearing. The most important item I don't have is the clutch linkage. I'm looking at the setup Roy has however, I need to do a lot of body work first.

Well after almost a month of inactivity the C-6 is out and on the floor. The T-5 is in the car, it's not hooked to anything but it's in! getting the C-6 out was a chore, I ended up cutting the H pipe off to allow enough room. That starts the X pipe project I've been wanting to do. The v6 bellhousing and T-5 fits like they were meant to be there, bolted right up. I tried the trans mount and crossmember from the C-6 and they bolted right in. That makes things much easier, but, since I've got the crossmember for sale with the trans, I'll need to find another. It looks like there will be plenty of room for the clutch linkage. I need to figure out where tio cut the hole in the bell for the fork and then I can start connecting the dots. Here's some pics... enjoy!

1119111624.jpg

1119111633.jpg

1119111648a.jpg

1119111650.jpg

1119111654.jpg

Jeff that's awesome news that it fits so well! Congrats on the progress! What are your thoughts about the clutch linkage?

The clutch linkage will be mechanical. I'll take photos as that comes together. I plan to use a forged release fork from a late 60's GMC pick-up and fabricate the remaining linkage. The clutch pedal is a Modern Driveline piece I bought off Evil-bay a couple of years ago. Next step is to get the release fork and determine where I want the new access point in the bellhousing. LMC truck has the fork, clip and boot for under $40.00.

More parts came in today. It looks like I can make more progress this weekend. The flywheel, clutch, pilot and release bearings and pressure plate arrived. Waiting for the release lever and I'll be able to start in the clutch linkage.

Back