Introduction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this forum and I thought I would introduce myself. My name is B.T. Washington and I reside in Memphis, TN, I am a retied AF veteran and a recently retired Treasury investigator.

I own two 1973 mustangs, one being a MACH 1 (first owner) that has traveled across the Pacific twice following me in my tours of duty to Southeast Asia while in the AF. It is modified somewhat with a 1970 428CJ (more on that later) and Toploader.

The other is a Grande which I have modified with a big block (472 CI) motor, disc brakes on the front, 9 inch Trac lock, heavy duty C6 ...you get he picture.

I am currently putting together a 545 to replace the 428CJ (motor getting too valuable).

I look forward to interacting with you guys "on my journey" and hopefully I will be able to bring something to the table.

BT

Welcome to the forums! I can't wait to see some photos of your 73's! :D

Thanks for the WELCOME.

Rocket, I will try and post some pictures of "FIRE" and "ICE" before the end of the day.

"Ice" us currently at the Paint Shop but I do have some pictures of the "before" and of course of the finished engine work, rear end, transmission, etc.

While "Fire's" paint job looks pretty good, it is over 25 years old and will be going in for a "redo" after I finish putting the 545 together (already have the forged Stroker kit, ported and flowed TFS heads, 1000 CFM HP, MSD ignition systems, ect.).

I know this is not necessarily a "motor" site so I will try not to bore folks with that stuff, but my goal is putting together the "Big" mustangs per Ford's original intent...with BIG BLOCK power! BTW, I do have quite a bit of Cleveland stuff, i.e. heads, blocks and the like as "Fire" originally came with the 351CJ motor.

Anyway, I WILL post up some photos by the end of the day.

THANKS again for the WELCOME!

BT

As promised, attached are a couple of pictures and "Fire", my 1973 MACH I. I am the ONLY owner (other than Ford) and had it specially built (Export Only) and sent to me in the Philippines in early 1973. It was originally a 351CJ, C6. Trac Lock with 3.25 gears.

It currently has a 1970 428CJ, Top Loader, Trac Lock with 4.57 gears. Other modifications include flaring the rear wheels for the nearly 12 inch wide rubber on the rear and the grafting in of a Boss 429 type hood scoop (all metal) to clear the high rise intake. The car has less than 30,000 miles on the clock with most of those being 1/4 mile at a time - - i call it FIRE for good reason!

My plans calls for replacing the 428CJ with a 545 (429SCJ block, 4.500 inch forged crank, 6.800 inch forged rods, Probe dished pistons, a solid roller cam of @700" lift, TFS aluminum heads ported and flowed at 373 CFM on the intakes, and a C6 transmission) Monster motor.

The afore mentioned parts have already been acquired but I am not going to install the new motor until after I repaint the car - - that is an over 25 year old paint job on it. It (along with my 1973 Grande which is currently in the Paint shop) will be painted the same except I will remove the "Cobra" murals off the flanks. Yeah, I kind of like yellow and Black. Both vehicles have the exact same interiors.

cobra1.jpg

cobra2.jpg

BT

BT

Man, that's awesome!

Came across this post, one of the first on the site, with BT's pics of "Fire". One of the handful of posts on the site at the time, and prompted me to become a member. We've come along way since then, huh? I think there were 7 or 8 members then.

Where is Mr. Washington?

I know he gets busy with other committments but I wish he'd drop by once-in-a-while!!! :)

"Fire" ought to be scorching the pavement soon!

Ray

Yes Guys, I am sorry I have been AWOL for a while. I do check in every once in a while.

As to Fire, the 545 install that is going into "Fire" is still on hold. The hold up is on the buildup of the '69 Mach 1. As some of you may recall, Fire (the '73 Mach 1) currently has a 428SCJ motor that I picked up in the Republic of the Philippines. With my acquisition of the '69 "body", I decided to go period correct by installing the 428 into the '69. Quite frankly, my contract with the Restorer calls for the work on the '69 (interior, body and paint) to be completed by June of next year. We have already replaced the rear end with a 31 spline 3:50 traction lok, staggered shocks, new gas tank. Have also rebuilt a cast iron tailshaft C6, so I am making progress.

As y'all can see in another post on the 545, it is REALLY ready with in excess of 700HP and over 735 foot pounds of torque. Anyway, that motor is still in Cuba, MO as I don't want to bring it here until the 428 is already out of "Fire." Got an email from the engine builder a couple of days ago advising that it wasn't being any trouble as it doesn't "eat much" and is not bothering the "other engines" in the shop, so I will probably leave it there for a couple more months.

The First Lady and I just acquired two new "babies" (English Bulldog pups) that are keeping us pretty busy. The real "issue" I am having (time wise) has to do with my volunteer work in trying to decrease crime and blight in my area of the city. I volunteered for this eight months ago and it is proving to really be time consuming.

Anyway, I am going to try to get on here more often. I actually have some great ideas (in my opinion) for reviving the Weekly Fun Question and VIP WFQ exercises.

More to come:)!

BT

Thanks for the update, BT. I know you're busy.

Additional info for newer members - BT was the first Moderator for 7173mustangs.com until me and Roy (TNFASTBK) were bushwacked back in late 2010 or early 2011. :p

Where is Mr. Washington?

I know he gets busy with other committments but I wish he'd drop by once-in-a-while!!! :)

"Fire" ought to be scorching the pavement soon!

Ray
He was busy "treasury guy" ....the term "it takes money" to make money mean anything to you? :D He may have been out doing some "taking money". :D I use to ride with some IRS biggies.... boy their ears would perk up when you spoke of business. like sharks to blood.

As y'all can see in another post on the 545, it is REALLY ready with in excess of 700HP and over 735 foot pounds of torque. Anyway, that motor is still in Cuba, MO as I don't want to bring it here until the 428 is already out of "Fire." Got an email from the engine builder a couple of days ago advising that it wasn't being any trouble as it doesn't "eat much" and is not bothering the "other engines" in the shop, so I will probably leave it there for a couple more months.
Stopped in Cuba after HS reunion this weekend in Chicago. While crunching Jack in the Box tacos I told my wife that if we were quiet we might be able to hear a bad a$$ 545 somewhere in the distance. It must have been sleeping.

DSCN5307.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back