Best auto parts stores

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Reading the oil pressure sending unit thread where the sending unit was new and shooting oil out the top made me think twice about going to the cheaper parts store that's around the corner.

What are the stores that carry the better quality parts?

+2. Caveat for sending unit for gauges. I have yet to buy an aftermarket gauge sending unit that has the correct resistance which causes the gauges to read high or low. The coolant temp senders are the worst. tried two different new ones from two vendors both caused temp gauge to read very high compared to actual coolant temp. I put in a used original and gauge readings are aligned with actual temp. Chuck

Napa, but a number of years back I experienced a bad gauge style (bell-shaped) oil sender from them. Really something how much oil can get pushed out of a bad unit....talk about messy, especially since it was dripping down onto the exhaust pipes on my 40 mile drive back home. No choice since there was no place to stop / replace along the way.

They did give me a replacement which has worked perfectly for the last 10+ yrs.

I have to chime in on this one as well. Every community differs in the parts places that are available and the experience of the folks behind the counter. I have been in management with NAPA in the past and they do seek out either experienced parts people and have a robust training program to allow their counter folks to obtain ASE certifications. Given that I also live in Autozones home town, I can say they try to recruit talented folks, but sometimes fall short. I would recommend shopping around in your area and find the store with the most knowledgeable staff that you enjoy working with. Keep going back to them. Pretty soon you and they will build enough of a relationship to be able to talk candidly about parts. Even the guys/gals behind the counter know who makes the quality parts in there store and who does not. It sometimes also has to do with who has the closest distribution center to you and can get you the part the fastest.

Napa has gone a long way it seems to modernizing their stores, and to me have the best behind the counter folks... I like to do my homework on the net before going to shop, and I've found Advance's website and coupon options work well.

Also, an order from Summit Racing usually arrives overnight in my location, thanks to the warehouse in Atlanta I suppose :D

I use Delco (that's Delco NC) Auto Parts locally for most of my parts because the owner and I have an understanding about inferior parts and he hasn't let me down yet. Support your local small business!!

+1 for using a local small business. The older guy who owned one here closed shop a number of years ago when he retired.

Anyone use Carquest?

Anyone use Carquest?
I have used them to buy parts for the daily drivers. I get a discount through my work so it helps with the wallet. Rebuilt all of the suspension on my 06' Dodge with their parts. No problems after about 14K miles. They have a warehouse in northern MS that is close to me. I have not used their parts on the mustangs so I couldn't really help you there.

+1 for Napa and O'reilly in that order.

I find this especially true when it comes to knowledgeable counter assistance.

BT
'Round these parts I prefer O'reilly. I went to Napa for a window trim tool and they looked at me like I had a third eye. O'reilly had one and they've always been helpful.

Back