Single stage or two stage paint job?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I brought my car in for an estimate to re-paint the car back to its original Medium Yellow Gold color. He asked me that since it is a non metallic color would I want it single stage insted of a basecoat + clearcoat paint job. He said that the single stage would look more original.

What do you guys think? What have you done?

Also, he didn't think that he had to sand it down to metal. Is this normal?

Thanks guys!

I brought my car in for an estimate to re-paint the car back to its original Medium Yellow Gold color. He asked me that since it is a non metallic color would I want it single stage insted of a basecoat + clearcoat paint job. He said that the single stage would look more original.

Thanks guys!
If it were me, and it weren't metallic I would go single stage. It's more period correct IMO, looks better than base/ clear on older cars. I would make sure to spend the little bit extra on urathane enamel not acrylic enamel. Urathane is the same material that is used in the super durable clearcoats. IE: it is fade resistant. I've been painting cars for a while and have been very happy with it. Also, single stage is easier to blend/ match up if you get a scrape!

Thanks guys!
The only way in hell I would paint a car "single stage" is if your doing a concours restoration on a car that would be a trailer queen ..garaged..& covered except when shown. Don't waste your time or money on anything but a base coat, clear coat paint job. single stage is inferior to a 2 stage paint job. It will not stand the test of time even using a urethane..& I disagree with MM on repairability, blending of single stage. It can actually be harder to blend repair a single stage, most of the time it requires "panel painting" to get an acceptable color match. As far as taking the car down to bare metal that depends what condition the old finish is in ..how many mils(thickness) it measures & how many prior paint jobs the car had. I would also say it depends on the shops warranty. If he doesn't strip it down whats the warranty ? If you do decide NOT to strip it IT MUST BE SEALED WITH EPOXY PRIMER !!! It's the only way to isolate the old finish. Did you see the recent post about dealing with shops ? Do your homework before picking a shop http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-is-in-for-body-and-paint-work?highlight=paint

My 73 Convertible is 99% original and I debated about single stage or two stage paint for months. I finally decided to go with two stage and am really glad that I did. Mine was the first repaint and the shop media blasted all the removable panels and sanded the rear body to metal. It's been 18 months since the paint was completed and no problems at all. The body shop also used three different colors of primer to help find any imperfections. Good luck with your decision.

If it were me, and it weren't metallic I would go single stage. It's more period correct IMO, looks better than base/ clear on older cars. I would make sure to spend the little bit extra on urathane enamel not acrylic enamel. Urathane is the same material that is used in the super durable clearcoats. IE: it is fade resistant. I've been painting cars for a while and have been very happy with it. Also, single stage is easier to blend/ match up if you get a scrape!
I couldn't agree more.

My car is single stage urethane and has lasted for 12 years now. Still looking fantastic. Been daily driven for about three years of it and even through a winter out of necessity. It will need a new paint job some day but after owning it 16 years, there comes a time when you need to start restoring a car a second time. Especially if you use it.

i have heard bc/cc for the exterior but im going to use single stage on the inside since im going to attempt to spray it and no one will see it since it iwll be covered by carpet panels etc

Base coat - Clear coat hands down is the best way to go. If your going for a full concours build maybe. My brother is doing a full restoration of his 70 boss 302 and he went base coat - clear coat because he wants to drive the car.He knows it to shiny but oh well. Single stage is like not putting radial tires on. Why would you. If the car has been re painted before then strip it.

IMHO It's a matter of personal choice and experience. Either one can produce a nice finish, But you will get more shine and a deeper looking finish with the bc/cc. If you add the urethane activator to the single stage, it will be harder and stand up longer. The other consideration is that with bc/cc it is forgiving if you get a run or to much orange peel its easy to fix right away, With the single stage what you have when you put the gun down, is what your gonna have until it cures completly which takes months, so you gotta have a good clean area to paint in and alot more talent.

found this also, a basic explanation.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5690611_auto-vs_-two-stage-painting.html

Back