Exhaust question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
I have a 73 mach 1 with a 351w. I have a pair of shorty hedman ceramic headers on the Windsor. I want to buy an exhaust kit to finish the car. the only thing im stumped on is the H pipe. I know that a repro H pipe bolts to original style manifolds. Also the headers i believe are a bit longer than the manifolds would have been, especially if the reducers are bolted to the headers. My question is, is it possible to modify an H pipe for a 302/351 to adapt to my headers by cutting off the flange. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

An exhaust shop should be able to do it without even thinking about it. Btw, put some paint on the exhaust behind the collectors to down past the trans then run the car. The point where the paint doesn't burn off is where you want to put the H-pipe.

An exhaust shop should be able to do it without even thinking about it. Btw, put some paint on the exhaust behind the collectors to down past the trans then run the car. The point where the paint doesn't burn off is where you want to put the H-pipe.
+1 on Don65Stang's post. Chuck

Im confused. Why the paint technique? The pipes are prebent when you get them reproductipn. Wouldnt the h pipe just start whete it ends up?

H-tubes should be at least 3/4 the size of your exhaust pipes, and located in the "hot" area of the pipes behind the header outlets. To find that hot area, one suggestion is to spray a line of ordinary white paint down the pipes after the headers, and go for a good run. Install the H-pipe somewhere in the area where the paint burns off the pipes, equal distance from each header collector. Use the same technique to determine where to place an X-pipe.X-pipes do a better job of this than H-pipes, because there is no distance separating the pipes with an X.

I'm gathering from the OP that he wants to know if a reproduction h-pipe (are those even available?) can be modified to work with shorty headers, if they were originally intended to work with manifolds.

If thats the question, I'd say just have an exhaust shop bend some pipes up for you, probably cheaper and less hassle.

Back