Hooker Headers bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
I just bought a pair of used but in fact brand new Hooker Headers (the black ones which I believe are the Comp ones).

Now I want to install them but I need to get some bolts to connect the headers to the heads (2V), 8 by side (total 16). Those were not included.

I have the stock exhaust manifolds right now but I can't use the original bolts with the new headers, they're too long.

Which bolts do I need ? Where can I find them ?

Thanks !

I just bought a pair of used but in fact brand new Hooker Headers (the black ones which I believe are the Comp ones).

Now I want to install them but I need to get some bolts to connect the headers to the heads (2V), 8 by side (total 16). Those were not included.

I have the stock exhaust manifolds right now but I can't use the original bolts with the new headers, they're too long.

Which bolts do I need ? Where can I find them ?

Thanks !
You can go down to your local parts store, Oriely's, NAPA, etc....they will have them in stock.Most of the time you will find then in the "Mr. Gasket" brand.

These should do the trick.

This is the size you want: 3/8"-16 x 3/4" Mr. Gasket# 918A

For Ford v8 engines.

You can also go to any Nut and Bolt specialty shop and get them in Grade 8

Last edited by a moderator:
I think those are american bolts, I'm in France and I guess no one here has them in stock unfortunately :(

What is grade 8 ?

I think those are american bolts, I'm in France and I guess no one here has them in stock unfortunately :(

What is grade 8 ?
Grade 8 is the strength of the bolt. Mark’s Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers lists Grade 5 fasteners as 120 ksi fasteners. This means the tensile strength is 120,000 lbs per square inch. It also lists Grade 8’s as 150 ksi fasteners meaning the tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch. Our cars more than likely came with Grade 5 bolts, but I like to use Grade 8 for headers only because I have a tendency to snap bolts and don't have the patience to extract them. Your local parts store should have them or be able to get them for you. If not, try a local repair shop that specializes in American cars. Ebay?

What is grade 8 ?
Grade 8 is the strength of the bolt. Mark’s Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers lists Grade 5 fasteners as 120 ksi fasteners. This means the tensile strength is 120,000 lbs per square inch. It also lists Grade 8’s as 150 ksi fasteners meaning the tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch. Our cars more than likely came with Grade 5 bolts, but I like to use Grade 8 for headers only because I have a tendency to snap bolts and don't have the patience to extract them. Your local parts store should have them or be able to get them for you. If not, try a local repair shop that specializes in American cars. Ebay?
If you have a 351 cleveland engine you need 3/8 diameter coarse thread x 1 inch long header bolts, not 3/4 as shown above and in most application listings including Summit. I just went to the garage and measured some. the 3/4 long ones will only engage 2-3 threads and surely strip out.

Any of these will work, and surely you might find them locally.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Header-Fasteners/Universal/Yes/Thread-Size/3-8-16-in/Underhead-Length-in/1-000-in/?keyword=header+bolts

I am not sure of the other v-8 lengths

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Jorgem2's opinion on the length of bolts for the Clevelands.

Back