Side Scoops

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2011 Mustang GT
Just curious what people think of project pegusus: http://www.goolsbycustoms.com/projects/project-pegasus-1971-ford-mustang/ ???

I personally think it's a pretty sweet project. They are doing some really cool mods to it, I don't think I'd want to take my car quite that far, but I am tossing around the idea of the side scoops for my coupe...any opinions??? I think they look nice and clean.

a898e0fc.jpg

Yeah, I had been contemplating the idea of side scoops when my vert was being restored and I thought I´d go with the 70ies Shelby scoops but then I did not want to order something that would be impossible to make it fit, so I didn´t do it.

But I still like the idea and wonder what it would look like.......

There was more I dis liked than like on that project but that whats makes this cool it yours and as long as you like it who cares. There are a lot of folks who don't like some of the stuff I have done but until they start footing the bill I could care less.

The Pegasus car is done, I saw it at a local show in August. Very nicely done, but it is a little "overdone" on some things to my taste at least...

I can see the side scoops adding to the lines nicely, although I won't attempt it. :s

Thanks for the input. I completely agree with those of you who said Pegasus is a little "too much" or "over the top". I'm also a huge proponent of make it the way YOU want it. After all, when it's done you're the one who has to drive it and see it in the garage all the time. I'm still up in the air on this one...definitely shaving the drip rails, handles, fender & quarter parking lights, flush mounting the front and rear glass, flush mounting my tail lights, and flush mounting a new edge "bullitt" gas cap in the stock '71 location...I don't want to cross the line into "too much" and don't know if this one last major body mod would put me over the edge or not??? I do like the way it looks, what does everyone think??? With all the other body mods mentioned would it be "too much" or "just enough" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think Pegasus is the Creme dela Creme of all 7173 Mustangs past present and future. IMHO not over the top, but done to perfection. I can't imagine it getting any better than Pegasus. I say go for it!

Personally, I think they took a perfectly good '71 Mach 1 and f00ked it right the Hell up. About the only thing I actually DO like about the Pegasus are the side scoops. OK, that and maybe how they worked the bumpers into the bodywork... but otherwise - they did nice work (if ya can't say something nice...).

Seems like the general consensus is that while we don't all agree on some of the Pegasus mods, we all seem to agree on the side scoops. I still have to think about whether or not I want to cut up my perfectly good quarters??? But hey, what the hell right... They more than likely won't be functional if I do it, purely esthetic. I need to stare at the area inside and outside the quarters for a while and really see whats involved. If nothing else, it's a great opportunity to seam seal inside the quarters at the rocker seam :)

All right, all right...if I make 'em, I'll make 'em functional! I guess if I'm going through the hassle of making them, I may as well get some performance benefit from it. Then I'm gonna have to vent the front brakes too, no sense venting the rears w/out the fronts :) I'm thinking of making them a slightly different shape/size then the Pegasus ones...I like those very much, but I feel like I might be able to get something that "flows" a little better with the body line that tapers off on the quarters...I'll have to sketch some things out on the car and see what works, I'll make a final decision from there.

If you like the look, go for it. My own criteria for modding my car is that stuff has to be functional.
I do agree with this... For me, esthetical mods need to be a consecuense to a functional need... At least this is what my classical restorer mind accepts! jeje

I one heard a chip foose phrase that kept rolling in my mind... he said a good mod is measured when the people see the car and dont realise the particular mod... Something like... if someone tells you "ohh... what a great scoops you did" that means the mod is either too much or no so well adapted to the car...

I like what you´re doing with your project, not only because it is getting pretier but mostly because you work the metal really pro... you´re doing a fantastic job in my opinion :)...

I´m sure you can do a fantastic merge between the scoops and the original body line so, if you decide to go for it, think twice about how you´re going to do it in terms of design because i know you can do anything you design for that mod...

As the funcional theory, maybe you can go that way to and vent the rear discs as that scoops suposed to...

Well... Keep the nice work!

I think Pegasus is pretty cool, very unique. The thing I like most about them are the side scoops! So i say go for it!

I one heard a chip foose phrase that kept rolling in my mind... he said a good mod is measured when the people see the car and dont realise the particular mod... Something like... if someone tells you "ohh... what a great scoops you did" that means the mod is either too much or no so well adapted to the car...
How ironic for Chip Foose to say something like that. :rolleyes:

Ok, coming to the end of my drip rail shave, and I think the scoops will be next on my list. I know this will disappoint some of you...but I don't think they'll be functional. Here's why, I've been studying the one's on Pegasus, and staring at my quarters, and I think I've decided to make mine a little more subtle by not making them as deep. I'm thinking of this because I want mine to flow a little better with the body line coming off the door into the quarter. Something about the Pegasus ones just seems slightly out of place at the body line. So...I think I want to do mine a bit more like the '05^, where they're more of just a recessed body line, as opposed to a "scoop" with an opening.

Thaughts :dodgy:

Back