Block Machinists

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
As many of you know I have a 73 Chevelle 454 SS I just finished and sent to the body shop for painting. He's removing all panels, doors lids, ect. and I told him I would remove the drive train. WELLLL I only had a hundred miles on my new motor that I put about $3000 in internal parts. .030, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, cam.

Was supposed to pull the engine/tranny Saturday and had to work. Bodyman says no big deal. Get a call from the bodyman late Saturday and he tells me I need to come over after work.

Turns out his son got a wild hair about starting on the frame and pulled the motor for me. Drains the oil AND THE COOLANT out of the oil pan.

We tore it down and found a sleeve in the #5 cylinder that had broke loose.

Back in PA where I grew up I knew all the machinists good and not so good. Of course, moving to NC had to go by other peoples recommendations and I did not do that lightly.

Motor is toast. Believe his helper actually did the work and boring a stock bore sleeve .030 is a definite no no. Had I known it was sleeved I would have bought a block.

I interacted with him during the time all of the work was done and was assured all was well.

Did manage to save my 67 closed chamber heads but will still have to have them checked for true. AND FIND A NEW 454 SHORT BLOCK!! :mad:

That sucks, to say the least. Hopefully you have some recourse. I've used a really good race shop down here in west central Florida, if you have any reason to get this way. But it's probably as close to you as the shops you left in PA. I trusted a hack shop once on a sb Chevy motor for our wrangler. They bored. 040 then installed stock pistons. When you find people you don't have to watch, it's a wonderful thing.

now that sucks big time! i hope everything works out for you.

Sorry to hear that Mark.... :( Those are the things that usually happen to us... guys that love this out of date things... cars...

You have to take it the best way possible in order to keep enjoying it.. And i think i can speak for all of us... we are here to give you a hand in whatever we can...

Best of luck with the 454 search!

Man did I screw up!! When I gave the news to my son Jason his first words were "you wiped my motor?" Should have told him it would only cost him $3500 to fix "HIS MOTOR" :p

Back