Focussed on Drag Racing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72ESA

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I'm looking forward to sharing some of my drag racing experiences with the members. My '71 Mach 1 will be found at tracks in Northeast and Northcentral Canada and the US, competing in NHRA & IHRA Stock Eliminator. We'll classify it as a '72 to use the lower compression Cleveland combinations.

Drop by and say hi!!

Very cool, welcome to the forum. Did you build it yourself? Got pics?
Not many pictures to share until it's done. I will post a few. We've updated a car that was active in the Southeast for many years until 2007. Lots of current technology applied, especially in the suspension, wiring, brake and fuel systems. Props to the folks at Moneymaker Racing, LaPorte IN for their assistance with parts sourcing and expert installation of suspension and brakes.

Welcome from North Carolina. Look forward to seeing the trophy pictures!
Thanks!! I'll remember to smile if I get the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from West Michigan.

Have you had it out yet. I crew on a 72 e/s Mustang running the "R" code combination. We race division 3 events around the midwest.

Maybe I'll see you at the track.

I love drag racing and especially love to see Fords do well. I ran Stock Eliminator back in 73 and 74. Let us know if you are coming to the US Nationals in Indy over Labor day. I usually try to attend that.

I love drag racing and especially love to see Fords do well. I ran Stock Eliminator back in 73 and 74. Let us know if you are coming to the US Nationals in Indy over Labor day. I usually try to attend that.
The program won't be up to US Nationals standard for a year or two. I will try to post a schedule of events that we plan to attend next season. Indy is on the "bucket list".

Welcome from No. Illinois. What are you running for times?

Jim
Nothing to report as yet....in the hands of its previous owner, with a Jerico trans, the car ran in the low to mid 11's. We're anticipating similar performance to start with. Looking for the high 10 sec zone eventually.

Welcome from West Michigan.

Have you had it out yet. I crew on a 72 e/s Mustang running the "R" code combination. We race division 3 events around the midwest.

Maybe I'll see you at the track.
No runs on the car Jeff. We'll be out next year and should get to Martin or Stanton...also sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! Welcome to the forums! Can't wait to see some pics!

::welcome::

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Keep us posted on your progress and post up some pictures when you get a chance.

::welcome:: from Mustang Oklahoma. "It's not cheating, it's innovation". Chuck

St. Thomas 2013.jpgIMG_20130805_163517.jpgIt's been 2 years since my original post on this thread. Countless hours of garage time and a great deal more learning than racing! Time for an update.

The plan from the beginning was to concentrate on the platform rather than becoming obsessed with chasing elapsed time results with the initial engine combination. We knew that the chassis would deliver continually improving numbers if it had the right pieces from the beginning. With a sound foundation, the addition of more power could be predicted to get the program where we needed to be.

After a couple of testing days and some frustration with timing a locked-out advance distributor, the car was posting some acceptable results. Circumstances would prevent us from making any meaningful 1/4 mile runs this year; the posted results are from 1/8th mile competition.

Our development engine was an NHRA Stock combination based on the 1972 351C CJ with a factory rating of 266hp that is refactored to 328hp for class designation purposes. At 3400lb. we ran a best of 7.49 @ 90.18 MPH. Next season, the package will be a '72 HO based piece which is 275hp factored to 325. The car will be in the same weight to horsepower class, but most would consider the solid lifter HO to be a superior option. It is favoured by most, if not all of the active Cleveland-based Stockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back