Just what is a "reverse valve body"?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
I was told that my 1973 has a "reverse valve body" trans mission with the "original cobra jet converter" but the reverse valve body is new to me. What I have noticed is that the gear pattern is different. Instead of having PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, 3rd, 2nd, 1st it has PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, 1st, 2nd 3rd and the shifting is a lot like a manual transmission not an automatic in how quick and solid it shifts. No hesitation or gradual shift from one gear to the other. It is boom one gear to the other. It also seems like if I start out in 3rd it starts out in 3rd no 1st then 2nd then 3rd when taking off. If feels like it is in 3rd from a dead stop. If so, could this be harmful to the transmission? Should I be starting out in 1st and manually go through the gears from each stop?

Thanks

Reverse manual valve body

Shift pattern is reversed

Shifting is manual, trans will be in whatever gear you select.

Yes it will start off in second or third if you select them.

I'm 99 % sure it will hurt the trans starting off in third. Even if it doesn't hurt it, it can't be good for it.

It is manual for up-shifts and down-shifts too.

Don

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT

www.ohiomustang.com

Thanks Don,

So basically I got a 3 speed manual that doesn't require a clutch? I like that idea.

+1 on Don's post. Lugging the engine starting in 3rd gear is really hard on engine bearings, worse than high rpm in my opinion. Chuck

My Mach 1 has a reverse valve body. You are correct in saying it is like having a manual trans with no clutch. Do not try and start out in high gear, trans don't like that.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back