Fix For Dim 71 to 73 Mustang Dash/Instrument Panel Lights

Big THANK YOU to Ole Pony for the post. I'm following suit and cleaning up the wiring in this area as well. Super helpful ideas from several of you on this post. Here is how mine looks after the cleanup. I found that an art brush worked well to apply the dielectric grease.

ElectricalCleanup.thumb.jpg.c34db3d12d89fa43c3e7be6fd0e38de2.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks and welcome to the site. I see this is your first post so post an introduction thread.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

• 1 month later...

Folks,

Another great way of making your dash and headlight brighter is to install a headlight relay. Your headlights pulls juice through the instrument cluster and this keeps the headlight power going straight to the battery. It's an easy install that takes 1-2 hrs depending on how anal retentive you are on wiring.

I also removed the blue defusers. LEDs are good but generally don't allow you to dim the lights (may or may not be a big deal). You can get blue LEDs which look pretty close.

KR

-Former 70 & 72 Mustang Owner.

-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, Edelbrock 351W Performer RPM intake, headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters w/H pipe, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, aluminum radiator, electric fan, Pro-car seats, mini-starter...owned since Dec 13.

-70 Mach 1, 351W, Edelbrock E-Street EFI, VHX instrument cluster, Hooker headers, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II, 15" Magnum 500s, 150A alt, aluminum radiator, dual electric fans, Pro-car seats, mini-starter

Folks,

Another great way of making your dash and headlight brighter is to install a headlight relay. Your headlights pulls juice through the instrument cluster and this keeps the headlight power going straight to the battery. It's an easy install that takes 1-2 hrs depending on how anal retentive you are on wiring.

I also removed the blue defusers. LEDs are good but generally don't allow you to dim the lights (may or may not be a big deal). You can get blue LEDs which look pretty close.

KR

Great advice! I have the headlight relay kit (p/n 11653-1A) from National Parts Depot), which I'll be installing in the very near future, after having had to drive home in the dark a few weekends ago. Not only were my headlights aimed as poorly as Marty Feldman's eyes, they were little tiny puddles of yellow on the ground not very far in front of the car - on High Beam! I also picked up some H4 headlamp housings from CJPP (p/n HLA1H) and some G.E. Silver Star bulbs from O'Reilly Auto Parts (loved 'em in my '97 Ram).

I also went to The Mustang Project and ordered their LED dash light replacement kit (p/n MP-7173-LED-GA-WHITE), along with the kit for the center 3-gauge cluster (p/n MP-7173-AUX-WHITE). Does anybody know where to score a new instrument cluster voltage regulator - just in case that's the whole problem?

I'm thinking correcting the headlight power issue, with the new H4 bulbs, actually aiming the headlights, and the LEDs from Mustang Project should have me seeing a lot more than just the faint outline of the gauges and just a couple puddles of road immediately in front of my car.

Hopefully, the clock/tach conversion gauge I finally ordered from The Rocketman will show up soon, so I only have to pull the dash apart once. ;)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

There's been a lot of advancements in LED technology and applications. I'm researching OEM look LED headlights.

They will save a lot of amperage so I can use that for the fuel system and EFI without changing the alternator.

• 1 year later...

On my gauge cluster I have one bulb on a wire that goes into the cluster then 12 others that are twist and connect on the ribbon.  What is the ine with the wire all about ?

On my gauge cluster I have one bulb on a wire that goes into the cluster then 12 others that are twist and connect on the ribbon.  What is the ine with the wire all about ?

That is probably your alternator indicator lamp.  Should be two wires, both red/green, IIRC.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg