3 gear manual transmission for my 72 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
I'd like to swap my C4 for a manual transmission someday, and yesterday I found this :

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/253254351.htm?ca=22_s

It's only 3 gear and the seller told me it was on a 70 Mustang. It's working.

There's no clutch but I think I can find a used one here in France.

What do you think ? Serial number is RAT B I 012335

It's cheap and used manual trans for Mustangs are quite rare here. Do you think this is a piece that worth buying ?

Any feedback on 3 gears manual trans ?

Hey there!... What i can say is that my car has a 3 speed manual trans from factory... I´m not sure what specific gearbox is but i have the feeling it is a 3 speed toploader...

My car still has his unopened I6 250 ci and as the trans, the combo works quite nice if you are not looking for anything looking like performance... My car runs ok but it is grandmas car at every range :p... The 3 gear trans is Ok as i was saying but even if it looks like an indestructable trans, it is quite long between gears and that bothers me a little when im driving in the city with the ammount of cars we have in the XXI century :p

For instance, when you brake at a city corner and you are clear to go, 2nd gear tends to drawn the engine if you stopped a little too much and 1st gear is not as easy to shift when the car is still moving... Bottom line... not that comfortable trans as it is a 4th gear one... if you have a V8, be careful not to blow the trans and be aware of the missing clutch, it is not that easy to adapt things down there...

Wait the feedback of the guys who has been there to decide :) golod luck!

Thanks !! So that's not what I'm looking for, 4 or 5 gear trans would be amazing, but very costy when shipping to Europe :(

Let's search more in the classifieds :)

Thanks !! So that's not what I'm looking for, 4 or 5 gear trans would be amazing, but very costy when shipping to Europe :(

Let's search more in the classifieds :)
I have another 1970 hardtop 302 2V with a 4 shift toploader and HURST shifter and that´s amazing to drive arround...

I´m in Uruguay so i understand the problems of finding what you want arround the corner but sometimes you may pay a little $$$ more for something that is what it suits and not through away your money in something that is not what you need...

Try to contact Don from OMS and ask him, that´s the way to get the price to compare new findings, dont you think?

Good luck!

My car is factory 3-speed behind a 302 motor and I find the combination fine in general, though I may decide to chuck in a 4-speed one day.

The gear ratios between a 3-spd and 4-spd (wide-ratio) are as follows:

1st gear 3-speed: 2.99

1st gear 4-speed: 2.78

2nd gear 3-speed: 1.75

2nd gear 4-speed: 1.93

3nd gear 3-speed: 1.00

3nd gear 3-speed: 1.36

4th gear 4 speed: 1.00

I use my car as a general cruiser and am not particularly interested in high performance so I'm far from unhappy with the three speed - for me it works good both around town and on the open road. The only time I really wish I had a four speed is pulling out to pass other cars on the open road where it would be nice to be able to drop it back to third to get a good revs/speed combo.

Based on the assumption that a 4-spd top-loader is near impossible to find in your country then I reckon you'd probably be happy with the 3-speed as an alternative - but I'm sure there will be others here with a contrary opinion to that :p

My car is factory 3-speed behind a 302 motor and I find the combination fine in general, though I may decide to chuck in a 4-speed one day.

The gear ratios between a 3-spd and 4-spd (wide-ratio) are as follows:

1st gear 3-speed: 2.99

1st gear 4-speed: 2.78

2nd gear 3-speed: 1.75

2nd gear 4-speed: 1.93

3nd gear 3-speed: 1.00

3nd gear 3-speed: 1.36

4th gear 4 speed: 1.00

I use my car as a general cruiser and am not particularly interested in high performance so I'm far from unhappy with the three speed - for me it works good both around town and on the open road. The only time I really wish I had a four speed is pulling out to pass other cars on the open road where it would be nice to be able to drop it back to third to get a good revs/speed combo.

Based on the assumption that a 4-spd top-loader is near impossible to find in your country then I reckon you'd probably be happy with the 3-speed as an alternative - but I'm sure there will be others here with a contrary opinion to that :p
Great feedback! :) As everybody knows, i´m not very into the mechanics so i just was trying to tell him what is my opinion...

I dont know either if there is a lot of ratio variations on 3 speed trans but now that i´m thinking, maybe in my car, the less comfort comes not by the 3 speed trans but from the combination with a low HP engine that has 40 years of running without any tune up... That is why maybe I find the need of torque in second gear when the engine has to move in 2nd, an almost stopped car...

As the reliability i´ve owned 4 or 5 stangs, all manual transmisioned and i never ever had a problem with any trans so i can say the manual trans are good :p

You can get a rebuilt T-5 pretty cheep (in the US anyway).

Not sure what engine you have, but that would work as long as you have a smaller engine than a 351c. Plus you'll get much better gas mileage on the highway with the 5-speed.

Get a T-5 that came out of a V8 car (if you have a v8 in your car).

Back