Best aftermarket repair manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better repair manual?

• Haynes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Chilton's

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Don,

As me and my dad restored many american classics we have many workshop manuals laying around in the workshop.

I love to use the original factory manuals , and most other manuals that i have are from Haynes.

Use the factory manuals. I've found great information in both Hayes and Chiltons but hate the fact that what one lacks, the other has. Never had that problem with the factory manuals. What I did was buy the CD of the factory manual and print off the pages that I'm working on at the time. I then punch them and put them in a 3 ring binder and at the end have a full printed set with CD back up.

I have an old "Motor" repair manual from back in the 70's. It is a big hard bound manual that covers from 1969 through 1976. It has very detailed information.
+ 1 on the " Motor " manuals, Have some dating back to 1953. Don't really use them anymore since they are so old and brittle, But in my younger days all i ever used

I use the forum! :p

Seriously!!... between you guys and what i can find in the internet i'm almost able to do anything i need for now :)
So someone needs to invent a grease proof cover for the iPad.

I sometimes scan a page of my original shop manual because the

manuals themselves are getting pretty banged up. Like the idea

of the CD, just print whatever page you need.

mike

I only use the factory manuals, no matter which car. And the Ford manuals from the early 70s are good.

No other manual is that detailed and specific.

Most Haynes and Chilton manuals are much too diffuse on information, because usually a wide range of cars is covered for economic reasons of the issuer.

Also I prefer the printed versions over the PDF laptop version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use the factory manuals, no matter which car. And the Ford manuals from the early 70s are good.

No other manual is that detailed and specific.

Most Haynes and Chilton manuals are much too diffuse on information, because usually a wide range of cars is covered for economic reasons of the issuer.

What you're saying is very useful for guys like me that doesn't have any preferences on which way to go with manuals :) Thanks!

I have an old "Motor" repair manual from back in the 70's. It is a big hard bound manual that covers from 1969 through 1976. It has very detailed information.

+1 on the "Motor" manuals. Much better than Haynes or Chiltons. Chuck
I too use the Motor manuals.I bought mine at an auction 10-15 years ago after a shop closed dating back to 1953 also.I have tried haynes and chiltons they get you half way there and are vague.(so universal)

I don't have any idea about the manual by Haynes or chiltons! but I just wanted to agree with Spechti... I am also comfortable with the printed ones...

Back