What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

I went to start mine today and the petronix ignitor II decided to burn itself out. Made for an interesting smell and for a very short cruise tonight lol. Off to the parts store tomorrow...:s

Mike

I apologize for my infrequent posts. We've just been having too much fun. So, we got the '20 foot' paint job on. It looks GREAT from 20 feet. Definitely not show quality, but absolutely boulevard-worthy. Much better than expected with our makeshift booth and harbor freight gun (and complete amateur skills) . Got the interior back in, sorta. Still needs headliner and some attention to detail. Gassed it up and took it to the June 1 Forest Lane Reunion Cruise, where a bunch of my high school crew was waiting for the rebirth. Had a blast. Awesome to cruise the very same lane, listening to the very same songs, with some of the same friends, scaring the same old Chevies some 40 years or so since the last time we did it.

We'll be posting some fresh pics at

http://www.flickr.com/71jcode

later.

OH.. and tonight we took it to Keller's Drive In for a #5 and tater tots.

She's pretty happy, though I think I have a crack in the radiator to deal with.

Goals ratchet down from here for the summer. Get the radiator attended to, get a decent exhaust system in, shoe it with decent tires, headliner installed properly, detail engine compartment, think we also have a leaky master cylinder. Install 3.89 pumpkin.

But I plan to drive it every time I can.

I don't think I've posted since I moved into my new house, but we are getting settled in and I'm slowly getting my garage set up. I built a nice heavy duty workbench with a vice, got a nice floor jack, and got a compressor. So tonight I started the tearing down the car! I didn't get very far, but I got the driver side fender and the front valence off. The car is looking pretty solid, some small rust issues up near the cowl but that is expected. I will start earlier tomorrow and get the rest of the front end off. Still got to get an engine hoist and stand.

image.thumb.jpg.65cee3d81aca0ec7a5d8512ab9bf3724.jpg

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Hit a great car show in Osoyoos B.C. Great location and weather. Always really laid back with a poker walk for the ladies at the local stores on main street.

2128b.JPG.e90df513894a9960d678cd488845a4cb.JPG

Then it's back to the hotel, kick back by the pool and exchange lies about days gone by.

The wife wanted to hang with me in the garage today so I had to find something to do that didn't involve air tools.:dodgy: So I went to the shed and got the passenger door and tore it down.:cool:

938177218_jim73001.jpg.7591703252df670d534da152a77cce07.jpg

- Mike

This is actually the weekend update. Stripped and painted some of the brackets laying around and in the midst of a visit by Bill found a nasty spot I missed very early in the project. :s Managed to get the plasma cutter in there and cut the rot out. When I pulled out the roof panel I saved for such an occasion Bill pointed out we probably needed to use that metal to fab up new fender brackets as well. I did complete the power steering pump though. :)

DSCN2566.thumb.JPG.6da122ba65b410eaf654158f32ad7a0c.JPGDSCN2567.thumb.JPG.ed684ed12d8b2061009abebef2fd33b9.JPGDSCN2570.thumb.JPG.2479d6ea85ec73ece09efffc08e8ac9c.JPGDSCN2571.thumb.JPG.9c74aa1c36829393b88ce6fe57916538.JPGDSCN2574.thumb.JPG.6cd666b85ac6da023ea395672bb925aa.JPGDSCN2575.thumb.JPG.6a3da67ff3a396338521ce9d42a57eb4.JPG

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Started tack welding in the inside fender support brackets I made. Coming along pretty well so far.

DSCN2576.thumb.JPG.c46d8f216481870a0c823b3dce7a61a8.JPGDSCN2578.thumb.JPG.5be394f0c20f744b5b73bcf54eb590b5.JPG

2rr7aiv.png

Sometimes you just have to bring in the pro. When welding in the patch on my left quarter I warped the panel.:dodgy: So I had my brother who was a body man for 25+ years come by and bail me out. He heated the panel up in 3 spots and cooled it with water to shrink the metal. Then he used a Slapping file on it to shrink the metal some more. Then a little hammer and dolly work and warp and oil can effect was gone. It took him all of 20 mins.:-/

931106205_leftpatch001.jpg.ad63fdadb7cef10cf0ca8e4f3bfc8fa4.jpg

141178792_leftpatch003.jpg.09807c955844abc052f238f6b30e42f6.jpg

1905687094_leftpatch004.jpg.f959a480793cddb315471671a4361842.jpg

- Mike

Tried putting in a really cool AM FM 8 track that I picked up last month. Only to discover that there was no signal coming out of either of the right side audio outputs. Both AM FM and the tape player did work on the left side. So teh car now has the sale old AM FM w/o the AM working in it.

Started welding in the morning and realized it was too hot out to air the garage of smoke.:s So moved back to sanding and painting. While getting the timing chain cover ready for paint chased the threads and found out one of the water pump bolt holes is toast. Called OMS and moved on to the flywheel cover. 98 degrees today. That's HOT even for NC. :@

2rr7aiv.png

Fender back on the car

Fender.thumb.jpg.352e797fceffacf4f34e20a57ec364f4.jpg

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

I've continued the the tear down of the car the last two days. I got the entire interior out and the front wiring harness. Took the drip rail and window channel off, at first I was happy I got the trim off without damaging it, but then I noticed the bondo covering some rust damage. Seems like an odd place for it to me.

image.thumb.jpg.f6724f97db193492c0e145589a37c123.jpg

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

From what I've seen, your brother is a sure bet when it comes to bodywork. How's his Boss coming along?

Slow Mike very slow! It's that Harley Davidson, he won't stop riding it. It drives me crazy! He say he wants it done for the 50th at Las Vegas.:huh: The car is pretty much done but the motor. He just wont send the motor out.:@ Sometimes I think he does not want to finish it. So will see. I think it's time for a intervention.:cool:

942935752_3514V003.thumb.jpg.b9a3b76eba5e99be2ce86630da67e3d2.jpg

- Mike

From what I've seen, your brother is a sure bet when it comes to bodywork. How's his Boss coming along?

I think it's time for a intervention.:cool:

Do you want me to come over? We'll bug him until he gets it done. I still have that Ranchero on my want list. ;-)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I think it's time for a intervention.:cool:

Do you want me to come over? We'll bug him until he gets it done. I still have that Ranchero on my want list. ;-)

I met up with him tonight at Cruz night and gave him a bunch of crap!:cool: Will see.

- Mike

Finally did some work. I replaced the nasty black rubber fuel hose with a nice steel braided one, and turned a 10 minute tune job into a 4 hour marathon because I stupidly removed the dizzy without marking locations :D. But I learned a lot and it's back to running pretty sweet, although my vacuum is still about 15.5"wg. I'm beginning to wonder if the cam is an aftermarket one.

Steve

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mach-1--1800]The Stable[/button]

25yvyp3.jpg

Front end back on car!

898583891_Picture001.thumb.jpg.f288aa18608c4507d640b5251683c88a.jpg

939285104_Picture0003.thumb.jpg.cf97ee10ff7ae2c3dc6d913575548ee4.jpg

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

Busy day (weekend) at the Auto Hobby Shop - so not much to report. I did manage to get the AOD shifter & cable permanently mounted, and trimmed the full-length center console to fit (I know - I'm going to burn in Hell for taking the Dremel to a no longer produced piece of Big Body Mustang history).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Well, we replaced all 60 nut/bolts in the 'fake centerline' Fenton R/T wheels with new stainless copies and did some clean up on the wheels. Also fiddled around in the interior a little. And then we drove her down to Keller's for a #5, tater tots and beer. And a couple of burnouts. Not in that order.

Fresh pics and vid:

Jacked up the front end, took the wheels off, repositioned the trans dipstick tube so it would bolt to the correct area, started the car and looked for leaks. Found the oil pressure sender with a drop on it, the trans pan was wet, tried to grease anything with a zerk, no luck on the right upper control arm, found most of the boots to be ripped, most of the front end stuff had no grease fittings, all to be addressed after summer. Found no "active or obvious" leaks, ( an old airline mech sign-off....LOL!), tomorrow I will remove the front drums and see what the brakes look like.....fun, fun, fun!

Well, we replaced all 60 nut/bolts in the 'fake centerline' Fenton R/T wheels with new stainless copies and did some clean up on the wheels. Also fiddled around in the interior a little. And then we drove her down to Keller's for a #5, tater tots and beer. And a couple of burnouts. Not in that order.

Fresh pics and vid:

What part of Michigan are you in? :D With the junk side streets and abandoned K-marts I could swear that's just around the corner! LOL

Cool video!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]