What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

No problem, thanks for the follow up.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

The guy that did my U-Joints is a huge mustang fan. Turns out he built and drag raced a few different mustangs in the 80s. And owned a 70 Boss 302 he kicks himself for selling. He wants to drop a 460 into my 73 Convertible...should make it into a nice sleeper. I am sure a few people on here have done this or have seen discussions on it. Anything I should know?

dws02c.jpg

Nice car, you will have to upgrade the rear end from the factory 8" unit to a 9" if you do the swap among other things.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

The guy that did my U-Joints is a huge mustang fan. Turns out he built and drag raced a few different mustangs in the 80s. And owned a 70 Boss 302 he kicks himself for selling. He wants to drop a 460 into my 73 Convertible...should make it into a nice sleeper. I am sure a few people on here have done this or have seen discussions on it. Anything I should know?

dws02c.jpg

yes,It will use allot of gas.:D

- Mike

dws02c.jpg

yes,It will use allot of gas.:D

Yep, I second that.

My 429 Mustang gets 9 MPG. I can watch the gage move as I drive it to shows! Would be hard to imagine this car as a daily driver at todays fuel prices.

It's a bunch of extra weight on the front, it'll hurt the balance of the car.

Some like big blocks for the torque... it depends on what you want to do with the car.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I put in my passengers side weather strip, and rear 1/4 window. Also installed passengers side rotor so I could put a front wheel on the car for the. first time in 10 years!

image.thumb.jpg.df33d4f64f11cb04d18e91bfeab4059e.jpg

I put in my passengers side weather strip, and rear 1/4 window. Also installed passengers side rotor so I could put a front wheel on the car for the. first time in 10 years!

Congrats! Pretty great feeling (and a little weird) when you hit a long time milestone, eh? ;) :D

Got the headliner completely secured (pulled the windlace "clamps" and checked for poor adhesion spots... only a very few, though). Cut-in and installed the sail panels and sail panel insulation. Was going to get busy on the quarter windows, but turns out both of the rear cage nuts of the lower bracket mounts have disappeared (probably into the rocker voids). Gotta swing by the hardware store tomorrow morning for a few of them to get busy on that sub-project. Decided to mount up the steering wheel & horn button (got a Grant Classic wheel) - just to test it out, mounted up one of the horns - no "Beep" though... forgot to scrape paint at the mounting point for good ground... and it's freaken hot... so I'll do that tomorrow, too.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Just took the Q Code for a spin around my hometown, with my 16 year old daughter. Need to replace power steering belt before I let her drive.

Recovered my driver seat, Weklded the seat frame, and generally puttered around in the garage.

20140809_173841.thumb.jpg.ab2fbdd3ed2d6704f8d506e7c02c0400.jpg

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

Recovered my driver seat, Weklded the seat frame, and generally puttered around in the garage.

Awesome job!! ::thumb::

+1. Looks great!

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I followed OLE PONY's lead and stood in the garage and stared at my 73 Vert for awhile. It stared back. Neither of us said anything.

Isn't that the definition of a perfect romance? :cool:

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

The seat turned out nice Ralph!

I haven't done anything to mine except drive it! :D

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Please post a photo or 2, that will likely cut down on noise too.

[align=left]Jeff T.

Where do I start??? We wire the electric choke, wired the tac, found out plug four was fouled because of a loose wire, got reverse lights working, put the entire dash area together, got the vents/servos working, got the horn working, traced and found a grounding issue in the dash, repair the trunk lock, finished bleeding the breaks, and determined what we need to work on next.

It was a long and productive day. We thought the car was not shifting bit it appears to be shifting very early out of first into second. Modulator adjustment?

Took one quart and rolled on easy. I did not have enough to complete the sides and will use the aerosol spray on to finish.

image.thumb.jpg.46640721e4cfefca9671a001ade8849e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a4cfe55bad019b4b3f11fe6cdc18add5.jpg

Cut my finger real bad in July and had to get the tendon surgically reattached. So I wasn't able to do anything that I wanted so far this summer. Finally rust-proofed my drivers door inside and out, wire-wheeled and epoxy sealed the few places it rusted through. Waiting for it to dry so I can sand and prime. Then I can put the drivers door back on the car and I can start pulling and replacing the brake lines.

1726_22_10_12_7_41_34.png

I learned a lot on seat one and now I will remove the cover from the passenger and redo it. Safety wire may not be for the purists but is sure made this job a ton easier. Twist and tighten is a great way to get everything straight. I completed the center console rejuvenation and also got another chance to weld. I had a half inch crack on the seat rail that had to be welded up. My weld was much better this time. The new welder is nice to have around.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

Finished up the headliner and sail panels today. Installed the quarter windows (roll-up conversion), and the weatherstripping rails on both sides.

Here's how the headliner came out - crappy camera still:

994492_891579684186284_3302268305540436572_n.jpg

68908_891579687519617_2784531603088853738_n.jpg

Next weekend, we'll install the weatherstripping, and start getting ready for carpet (got a lot of nit-noid things to do... like locate seat belt holes, mount the shifter, mount the dimmer switch, etc.)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Looking real good, was the headliner a total PITA or semi doable for us about average DIY people?