What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Scored a complete (almost pristine) front clip from a '72 Fastback for my Rustang. Got the frame rails, cross members, radiator support, shock towers, and torque boxes. Also found a really nice trunk lid (from the same car) - all for only $450 (most of which is labor from having to remove it from the car and pull the engine/tranny).

I tried to get the guy to just sell me the whole car, but he mentioned something about "it can't leave the yard unless it's going to the crusher," or some weird legal issue like that.

I will be going back for more stuff, though.

You can get a title for pretty much any car as long as you can prove it is not stolen. Here if you have DMV check the numbers and no owner claims in in 12 months they will issue you a new title. You cannot take a car to the crusher here without the title here unless it is just a totally rusted out hulk. Some of the tow guys were going around and when a car was sitting on the side of the road they would just hook up take it to the crusher and get $350 - $400 real quick. Also I just bought a 73 vert a California car and when I went to our DMV to have the title changed to N.C. they gave me a form and a representative from the DMV has to come and actually check the VIN# on the dash and the inner fenders. If they do not match the title then you are going to have issues. They will check for any stolen reports if the numbers are different or altered. If the numbers are not there you cannot get a title. Let's say you bought this rusty Boss 351 and you replaced the inner fenders and tossed the rusty ones with the VIN# and somehow the dash VIN is gone. You can get a title but it will be titled as a 2015 model and not a 71 Boss in N.C.. You can get new dash tags but Marti charges I think $500.00 for one.

I would cut your original serial numbers out of the inner panels and if you do a really great job of TIG welding you can cut the ones out of the clip you bought and put yours in. I would also take lots of pictures of the numbers while still in place on the car with something showing a date like a news paper.

It has got so bad here that if you go to a swap meet and have a car you are trying to flip that you just bought to sell. You didn't want to spend the $130.00 here to get the title over to your name and then just sell it again. The title is notarized and you go to a swap meet with the open title DMV people cruise the meets and ask if the car is for sale and ask about the title. If you say "yes I have a title but it is open" they will arrest you right there cuff you and impound the car.

You might want a police friend to run the numbers on your clip to see if it was stolen. It is so easy to steal one of these cars it is truly right Gone in 60 seconds. 100% profit tear it down in a couple days and part it out and crush what is left. It sounds odd that they would cut up a not rusty Mach 1 doesn't it.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Took apart my 71 mach front seat tracks to restore (waiting for my new upholstery/ foam from mustangs unlimited). Found out they were missing a few bearings. Located bearings local ace hardware...(like that never happens) Cleaned, painted

Removed the electric Black Magic fan that I've had on the car for about 15 years. Went to install the plastic fan shroud but I don't have the clips that go on the bottom of the radiator. Went to install the fan but the bolts only engage by one thread. Need to get some new parts and re-attack next weekend.

Mike

Black 1985 GT

Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's

Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390ci, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I sorted out the scratches and surface rust on my glove box. 43 years on scratches had taken their toll on the metal valance. I sanded the panel with 200 grit and got rid of most of it. The 400 and 800 grit to bring it back to a smooth surface. And finally 4 layers of matt black paint and it was done. Just need to sort the plastic now.

Glovebox_zpsjiqszkt9.jpg

Glovebox-2_zpswb2g3nq2.jpg

Mark

Haven't posted here in MONTHS. There has been a long break in snow and its almost completely melted. Got to take the car out for its first run this year. Everything went wonderfully and to my surprise it turned on almost immediatly with the change from points.

I drove it to the parts store down the road and ordered a new 4bbl Edelbrock carb and intake which will replace the 2bbl system. I have a couple of parts that will need to be order for the carb to work but ill have to figure that out. I guess there are linkage adapters ill need.

Yesterday I pulled the original 315 2V engine and FMX trans. Today I'll start cleaning up the engine bay and get it ready for the 409 stroker I'm having built at a local engine builder.

IMG_1670.thumb.JPG.7b57b4583af3520a6b61137a70426dde.JPG

There's no replacement for displacement :rolleyes:

Stroke it:exclamation:

Mike

I pulled the carb and sent out to be rebuilt. Front and rear bowl gaskets had been leaking and a good friend of mine is an expert at carburetor rebuilding especially Holley and Ford carbs so I left it with him.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

Put the decals on the hood and took it out for a drive. Researching vacuum pump options as the pwr brakes need more vacuum than the motor can supply.

649761384_IMG_04361.thumb.JPG.fa0731f12ccc32a127fcac9dd1db2959.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Cleaned and painted my motor mounts and the passengers hood hinge.

Ooooh yeah!

PB070159.thumb.JPG.739d0e1cbccc705eb53986eefd491345.JPG

I drove it to our big Spring social here in the neighborhood and the weather was beautiful. Great excuse to take it for a spin (like I need much of one...I'm a driver whenever I can). Several others brought their cars so we ended up with a small hot rod show.

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

I hope to get out and install my "new" shifter tomorrow. Gonna get the thing cleaned up, it's supposed to be 70 here Thursday.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Worked on the tail light panel. Drilled Holes, scuffed and painted the blackout area, installed my original trim and honeycomb panel, installed the filler tube and gas cap.

PB080160.thumb.JPG.0b096eea88437c7f6c830ec505c20977.JPG

PB080161.thumb.JPG.bef98148f0e3fb0991f3641067f8b31d.JPG

Yesterday I took one of the front drum brakes off and installed new Wilwood 6 piston disc setup. Today the other side gets the same.

1406426367_2015-04-01DrumBrake.thumb.JPG.a53b0a2fd37cf8b324c8af4b5097fa12.JPG

2093744990_2015-04-01DiacBrake.thumb.JPG.d266de33da94664a778451b21ebdce6f.JPG

There's no replacement for displacement :rolleyes:

Stroke it:exclamation:

Mike

Swapped the stock pan on the AOD for an aluminum one and while I was at it I changed the filter. Then I flushed the transmission to get rid of the quart of F type oil I put in by mistake a few weeks ago.

Also changed the motor oil and filter.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

• 2 weeks later...

Well still staring at the quarter panel still not fitting right, i measure 33 1/2 centimeters from inside lip of rear marker light to the top bend on the quarter on the pass side original and i cant seem to get it much better than 32 1/2 on the driver side replacement panel FFS. I can bend it downward on the new panel but then the new wheel wells want to separate from the quarter rrrrrr.20150403_184117.thumb.jpg.3ae4fba71d509547cb27b4b1ba35b6e9.jpg20150403_184133.thumb.jpg.4ca0bfde904761b2512b6cb39409d7b8.jpg

Well still staring at the quarter panel still not fitting right, i measure 33 1/2 centimeters from inside lip of rear marker light to the top bend on the quarter on the pass side original and i cant seem to get it much better than 32 1/2 on the driver side replacement panel FFS. I can bend it downward on the new panel but then the new wheel wells want to separate from the quarter rrrrrr.

Try tacking the panel to the wheel house with three or four sheet metal screws to hold it in place, then pull the panel flat at the back, allowing the steel to move upwards instead of down.

Also, have you checked where you slotted and bent the steel to meet the rocker panel? If you bent this in the wrong spot, the panel may tend to sit too high or low in the front, affecting the rest.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Finally got around to changing out the Holley "Black" (rotary vane) fuel pump my pal Jim gave me a few years ago. That thing was so dang loud, you could actually hear it over the stereo and everything.

Here's the old Holley pump (I had run the plumbing a bit different to make sure it didn't hit anything, by using a 90 degree elbow... but never got a pic:

552200_515739831770273_135038063_n.jpg?oh=c534eb99174a1a6829c14bb2c0682f7b&oe=55D77365&__gda__=1440720859_456bcefeaa8d02a544d62cef37cf430b

Here's the new Holley solenoid style pump - fits even better and is QUIET!

11000308_1050382174972700_8431350656838990094_o.jpg

This is the rock guard/cover I made for it using a piece of an undercarriage panel from a Jetta (or something) someone left at the Auto Hobby Shop after changing their oil... never came back for it after 6 months, so I figured it was fair game. ;) :D

11130387_1050382178306033_1638772545445362473_o.jpg

Still gotta get the sanding dust and overspray from the paint shop off of everything... but it'll keep. :D

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

well....I've completed the TASK of getting the sound deaden material in the doors and quarters WITH the windows IN. I felt like a contorsionist having to turn every way possible to get my arms/hands into places FORD chose them not to be ... after that I went out to play some tennis...

rtrlive782395.jpg

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

After replacing all 4 shocks, many suspension rubber mounts, all brake cylinders, new pads and shoes, front rotors and bearings over the winter months, all I had to left to do was fit the 4 shiny new 15" Vintique Magnum 500s and Radial T/As that I had bought to replace the incorrect 14" Magnums that came with the car and the accompanying 18 year old Dunlop Qualifier tires.

That was until, while maneuvering the car onto the hoist to change the wheels over, the high pressure line on the power steering pump burst spraying fluid over the right side of the engine, the hot manifold, and my friends nice clean garage floor. But that's the joy of olf cars I guess.....

Nigel B

1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet 4 speed

Installed competition engineering subframe connectors and a dynamat extreme sound deadener door kit. Both of these upgrades made a huge difference in ride quality and interior noise. My stereo system sounds great and the car feels much more solid than it ever has.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

The tag year on the 73 vert says 1985. The front cross member that the strut rods bolt to has a significant deformation that rendered it undriveable. The car has sat in a storage unit for the past 25-30 years.

Today I sanded the points, gave a splash of gas in the carb, hit the key and it fired right up.

While not as creative as the guy who made Eric's gas tank hammock out of a logging chain I think my mini tank was a good idea...probably not since a back fire would have made things interesting. I did start it the first time with a dry mini tank just to see what would happen with a splash of gas in the carb. All was fine.

IMG_20150425_192105.thumb.jpg.5d4b7abccecc2ebf5a882380c1ab2f7b.jpg

spacer.png

I finished getting the new master cylinder on the 73 vert I recently purchased that had sat for 20 plus years. Glass beaded the brake booster and painted. Spent some time getting all the after market stuff off, burglar alarm, pioneer stereo, speaker in trunk. I replaced the power steering hoses, brake booster hose, heater hoses and started looking at the F&%$*@ up vacuum hoses. Will have to do some study on this one. There were at least 5 open ports so it should run much better when I get them fixed. I gave the engine area its first bath in over 20 years. Also put new valve covers on the engine is spotless inside and has dual valve springs. I will have to take some pics tomorrow. Going to start buffing out the original factory paint tomorrow and give the mechanical stuff a break.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David