What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Took it to work today. Was a great day for it, Low 70's.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Finally started working on the 72 after i parked it last year. First off it held a charge without being started for a year so thats cool, put a thermostat in and took it to the side street to open it up. No overheat and found a hidden mechanic shop. He came out to see the noise and we got to talking and he has a 71 mach. Told him about the forum maybe he'll join up.

Ground clean all necessary areas to allow welding in my sub-frame connectors tomorrow.

Started filling some small pits on lower part of dash. Blasted and primed last week with my new sandblaster from Harbor Freight. Works pretty good for the price, need a better hood as I am still getting sand out of my ears. Today's jobs were grinding welds and fitting the torque box's top pieces. They came welded to the new firewall and have to come off for welding to the framerails and rockers. Would have been nice if they came separately. It's now to hot to work in the garage till it gets dark.

:cool:::devil::

Rick, not Rich or Dick or Richard

On my 73 vert I got the hood back on it has been off for 9 months. Took a while to get hood and fenders adjusted after being off but looks ok. I had to take the flat spring hood springs off and put round ones on you could not close the hood they were so strong. Even with lube and working it up and down without springs they were too strong.

Also got the padding installed under carpet, carpet back in and seat belts back in. Started on the interior trim install. Might get seats back in today.

Garage takes most of my time so slow go.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

That is cool. It was the same in all towns no matter what size. Hendersonville, where I live, had a really wide main street with 4 lanes 2 in each direction and then Church street going South one way and King street going North one way. I do not know how many thousand miles I drove until banned by the police, lol. My sister met her husband on Main Street while drag racing and beating his 57 Chevy hardtop with our 57 Ford Fairlane hardtop. His had 283 with 2 - 4 V but could never beat the 312 single 4 Ford red light to red light or top end, lol.

I had side pipes on my 1950 Ford with Smitty glass packs and fire would come out when wide open and rattled the windows of the stores.

Today they stopped cruising it is against the law, sucks. They do have Friday nights during summer where they block off the south end of Main St. and have dancing and you can park you car in the street and meet old friends.

Our cars were made during the high point of cruising and street racing in my opinion.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Prepped for exterior sound deadened. PIA...

I hope your going to bag the car (wrap in painters plastic) To protect from overspray solvent in the air

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

That's a pretty cool article. Things have really changed though. I remember growing up in the Dubuque Iowa area and we would all go cruise down Kerper Blvd and the Circle. It was a good area for cruising as it was mostly industrial and it was a four lane divided street. The Circle was just down at the end of the street. It was a big circle of pavement with grass in the middle and some picnic tables and a boat launch at the end. I remember going down and cruising in my first mustang with one of my friends almost every weekend. I had an 82 Fox body with a straight six. It was a tired old car and kind of rusty but I sure worked hard to polish up what was left of the black paint. I was up in that area this past weekend and talked some friends into cruising down there on Sat evening. It is pretty rough now as they explained prior to heading down there. A lot of drug deals and such, we didn't stay long.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

Guest Pastel Blue

Prepped for exterior sound deadened. PIA...

I hope your going to bag the car (wrap in painters plastic) To protect from overspray solvent in the air

Definitely... Was done this am before spraying. Also wrapped up the Boss Laguna Seca, took no chances...

Repainted black on the original magnums. Cleaned years of grime from the back side too. Yeah Purple Power!

Today, swapped out the instrument voltage regulator (gauges would climb while slowing down to a stop) and drilled the holes through the hood for the twist hood locks.

Was it scary drilling the holes in the hood? Which hood locks are you using?

John - 72 Q Code

Today, swapped out the instrument voltage regulator (gauges would climb while slowing down to a stop) and drilled the holes through the hood for the twist hood locks.

Was it scary drilling the holes in the hood? Which hood locks are you using?

I have a set of used original hood locks. My method for cutting:

1) buy a holesaw (I think it was a 3" - bought it last summer).

2) From the underside of the hood I used the molded in structure to guide the holesaw. Now these under hood openings are a little larger than the holesaw so I created thin cardboard cylinders around the holesaw and built one over the next until the cardboard cylinders and the holesaw fit snug in the openings under the bottom side of the hold.

3) Making sure the cylinders were butted up to the underside of the hood and the driver was straight, I drilled the centerhole.

4) Repeated for the other side.

5) Finished drilling out the holes from the top.

6) Used a q-tip to apply a little paint to the bare metal edge hoping to avoid rust issues.

7) Cups were a tight fit but pulled down flush.

My hood was already painted and this method did not hurt the finish.

Stang1.jpg

Use masking tape on the hood to further prevent paint damage. Don't over heat the drill or the paint by going too fast.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

464740407_20160519_163531_FahrertrPrgestempel_klein.jpg.f158d6ce137e9c9ba039537e3c7e246c.jpg

Today, I finished rust prevention at my driver's side door.

All the parts inside the door have been removed for maintenance, cleaning and new lubrication two weeks ago.

In the meantime I coated the inside and the inner part of the door with rust converter (Fertan). Residence time is 48h. After this I washed it away with pure water. The protection layer is still faultless. I painted the inside panel with white rust protection paint.

Today I reassembled the door lock, door opener, door handle, the window, window winder, rear view mirror with remote, etc. Then I sealed the door, installed the splash shield and the door cover.

Today's work is done! It's quarter to ten pm in Central Europe.

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank

1145371244_20160519_163541_FahrertrmitFertan_klein.jpg.416a7f7cbcae75e3e9104a567871526d.jpg

616686931_20160519_162254_FahrertrFensterfhrung_klein.jpg.adc95358d9dd470c7d2ced71bdf7643d.jpg

1658722363_20160605_154122_Tr_Scheibeeingebaut_klein.jpg.ff833b1c8d9a283a7e42ee56543753cb.jpg

998259076_20160605_193812_FahrertrmitSealer_klein.jpg.5ec672985a9ce943befcda908c52c319.jpg

941917314_20160605_194242_FahrertrmitSplashShield_klein.jpg.70615ab825ef7466c9b3ec69cbc3a30c.jpg

1665988903_20160605_195126_FahrertrmitTrabdeckung_klein.jpg.de53f21088635db2f514851d16279140.jpg

2109579538_20160605_202612_Fahrertrkomplett_klein.jpg.7f2177ab83d29f0f971935583dd07055.jpg

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

I took my car out for a spin to see how the new waterneck etc is holding out. Everything seems to be free of leaks. I drove it to an airplane-spotting place to shoot a couple of planes myself.

Starting was less smooth today which surprised me as it seemed to have improved. When I started to drive home again my battery sounded like it was low and barely managed to start... Exciting day that way ;-)

Here's some photos:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tw4sZuvvD6g/V1RgZx1pJ4I/AAAAAAAAqEM/RqEetu4gfRUTBdwJvec6lsXcxTviPUWVwCLcB/s1600/DSC01845.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0z5_pcNOTGw/V1RgaZN59sI/AAAAAAAAqEY/H7dGOUz80m0aO3R1_6jt4a8HVUzxBgrtgCLcB/s1600/DSC01867.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w6NjvYiTOWA/V1RgaUvkeLI/AAAAAAAAqEc/vkEom6jlqYABgSi9mzrw8Ch5J-bPatJ7QCLcB/s1600/DSC01870.jpg

I took my car out for a spin to see how the new waterneck etc is holding out. Everything seems to be free of leaks. I drove it to an airplane-spotting place to shoot a couple of planes myself.

You know, it's a felony offense to shoot planes...:whistling:

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

Starting was less smooth today which surprised me as it seemed to have improved. When I started to drive home again my battery sounded like it was low and barely managed to start... Exciting day that way ;-)

Here's some photos:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tw4sZuvvD6g/V1RgZx1pJ4I/AAAAAAAAqEM/RqEetu4gfRUTBdwJvec6lsXcxTviPUWVwCLcB/s1600/DSC01845.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0z5_pcNOTGw/V1RgaZN59sI/AAAAAAAAqEY/H7dGOUz80m0aO3R1_6jt4a8HVUzxBgrtgCLcB/s1600/DSC01867.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w6NjvYiTOWA/V1RgaUvkeLI/AAAAAAAAqEc/vkEom6jlqYABgSi9mzrw8Ch5J-bPatJ7QCLcB/s1600/DSC01870.jpg

I am curious as to what you come up with on the starting issue. Mine is doing the same thing. Starts fine but if you shut if off after driving it seems like the battery is near dead unless you let it sit for a while. I have a newer gear reduction starter.

- Jason

All the parts inside the door have been removed for maintenance, cleaning and new lubrication two weeks ago.

In the meantime I coated the inside and the inner part of the door with rust converter (Fertan). Residence time is 48h. After this I washed it away with pure water. The protection layer is still faultless. I painted the inside panel with white rust protection paint.

Today I reassembled the door lock, door opener, door handle, the window, window winder, rear view mirror with remote, etc. Then I sealed the door, installed the splash shield and the door cover.

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank

Frank,

which splash shields did you install - where did they come from?!?

Unfortunately I had no time on Thursday to come by... :-/

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank

Frank,

Tim

I thought having ordered it at cjponyparts few years ago but unfortunately I cannot find it on their website anymore. :huh: Tomorrow I will have a look whether there is any label on the packing.

It was a set of 2 for the doors. There aren't any splash shields for the rear quarters. So I have done them by myself out of a roll of vapor barrier I had in stock from my last roof maintenance. From one side it is waterproofed, from the other side it is permeable to moisture. I have cut it in shape and it matched. If you need some let me know, I'm still long with it. :D

Cheers

Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

Some pictures attached:

Cheers

Frank

Frank,

Tim

I thought having ordered it at cjponyparts few years ago but unfortunately I cannot find it on their website anymore. :huh: Tomorrow I will have a look whether there is any label on the packing.

It was a set of 2 for the doors. There aren't any splash shields for the rear quarters. So I have done them by myself out of a roll of vapor barrier I had in stock from my last roof maintenance. From one side it is waterproofed, from the other side it is permeable to moisture. I have cut it in shape and it matched. If you need some let me know, I'm still long with it. :D

Cheers

Frank

Hehehe, that could be the thing one day :D

I will let you now, thanks ::thumb::

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

• 2 weeks later...