What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Went by the machine shop today. They mic'd the block and initially went with .040" bores. But unfortunately, there were still some bad spots, so they went to .060. It's fine with me, since I'm not going to be racing this car or anything majorly stressful. The heads wound up needing new valve guides, and some new valves... along with the hardened seats I asked for, but otherwise, they're fine. The crank was in the best shape - only needs .010"/.010".

Decided to go with the stock heads initially, as I can always upgrade to the Edelbrocks down the road. Also going with hydraulic/roller everything and checked out CompCams for a 218/218 mid-range cam (isn't that what Doc wound up with?). Probably going to go with the CompCams recommended everything (valve springs, pushrods, roller rockers, et al.).

Mark Winger (my machinist) said he'll get me the 10:1 forged flat-tops and whatever else I need through his shop connections - which he said should be a bit better than going through Summit or JEG'S. We'll see though.

Can't wait to get it back and start putting it together.

Hey, Eric. My cam is a 218/224 - just a bit more radical than yours. I forget - your rebuilding a 351c, right? I've never heard of boring .060 over - that's a whole lot of metal removal for our thin-walled blocks. But you''re a savvy guy, and like you said, you're not gonna be racing her for a living. Can't wait to see (hint) your progress when she gets home. :)

Doc

I was also concerned with the .060" myself, but the machinist builds and races nothing but old Fords - he's put together some really awesome cars. My pal Jim (who runs the Auto Hobby Shop) also didn't seem too bothered about it either... and I've learned that if Jim's not too worried about it, it must me OK.

I did read something on a 351C forum about blocking off the lower water channels to offer some rigidity to the front cylinder walls. Not so sure about blocking anything off, to be honest. But it seemed logical what they said about the top 25% of the cylinders doing 90% of the cooling, considering that's where the majority of the detonation occurs. I think I'll do a ton more reading, and it sounds interesting... but I doubt I'll attempt anything like that.

I'm thinking a monster 3- or 4-core radiator, the right fan set-up, and a 180-degree thermostat should keep things under control.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I did this the other day. Does it still count? Anyhow, here's what I did cause someone decided to park next to me even though the car was nowhere near anyother car and by itself. They reversed and hit the quarter and bent the new chrome bumper. Instead of trying to bend it back, I decided to use the original bumper. It was heavily pitted but I took the chrome off down to the brass and painted it the same color of the car. Didn't look right with the chrome front bumper so I repaired the urethane rubber bumper and I'm happy the way it turned out. Check it out!

rrmasy.jpg

33x7l3o.jpg

20jnry8.jpg

20qc9x0.jpg

289l75c.jpg

v40vox.jpg

2mnp1y0.jpg

f0zvo9.jpg

And the rebuild continues :-/

I did this the other day. Does it still count? Anyhow, here's what I did cause someone decided to park next to me even though the car was nowhere near anyother car and by its self. They reversed and hit the quarter and bent the new chrome bumper. Instead of trying to bend it back, I decided to use the original bumper. It was heavily pitted but I took the chrome off down to the brass and painted it the same color of the car. Didn't look right with the chrome front bumper so I repaired the urethane rubber bumper and I'm happy the way it turned out. Check it out!

And the rebuild continues :-/

WOW ::goodjob::

Thanks bro!

so I fired up the portable baking soda blaster yesterday. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Like I said in previous post, I don't plan on blasting the entire car, but for small pieces were sanding would just be a bitch, this little thing does a decent job. see pics.

1224179089_2011-04-13190035.jpg.53e904e6ad0a20a3c2878715bb219a74.jpg

9917439_2011-04-13184040.jpg.0109833a520cff7754c8a619af985645.jpg

1753221935_2011-04-13190345.jpg.10caa614c23dd704f487f06227e944e8.jpg

I took my car to school today, parked it and drove it home at night without issues. It needs another gear or two lol, it's a nightmare on the highway compared to the crossfire.. I was at 3k at 60ish (speedo read 70, but who knows) people were flying past me. The car is a blast though, I cant wait for the go-fast stuff :cool:

206479_10150222375846995_610141994_8710768_6086078_n.jpg

sweet you and me need to cruise :)

sounds like you have a deeper rear like a 3.5:1 I'm running a 3 switched from 2.75

at 2500, i'm around 65mph

I should be able to drive it around this summer reliably. I'll let you know if I'm going to any shows, we can crew up lol. I forgot to mention I have 3.90's, I'll live with them for now and hopefully pick up a 5 or 6 speed soon. It feels like a 6 speed with gears 5 and 6 locked out lol.

I "drove" my Mustang for the very first time! I changed the oil and air filter first. I put 40 miles on her and just absolutely loved it. Wow the acceleration from 55 mph to 75 mph is great. The only issue is the whine in the radio from the engine. Anyone know what part and where to put the noise reducer to take that whine out of the engine? Thanks !

33vc6z8.jpg

Vehicles: 1972 Sprint Sportsroof CJ

2011 F-150, Lariat 4x4, Super Crew

Glad your test drive went well. The noise suppression condenser should be below the regulator as in the picture below:

DSCF9458-1.jpg

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

I "drove" my Mustang for the very first time! I changed the oil and air filter first. I put 40 miles on her and just absolutely loved it. Wow the acceleration from 55 mph to 75 mph is great. The only issue is the whine in the radio from the engine. Anyone know what part and where to put the noise reducer to take that whine out of the engine? Thanks !

First, double check your ground - make sure you've got a good, solid ground. If that doesn't fix it, come back and post in the electronics forum for some other ideas.

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Absolutely nothing!

I am just here to eat my lunch and screw stuff up!!!!!lollerz

there should be a clip on the cowl that rubs on the hood also, that is to help prevent radio noise

http://mustang.carnutguys.com/_Media/s6300778.jpeg

Well I've spent hours staring at that clip on my car wondering what on earth it's function could be! How does it work??

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

I replaced all of the instrument lighting with the 5X LED lighting kit, and WOW what a difference! I highly recommend. My next real project is to cut out the standard rear seat/package tray framework, and start fabricating the trapdoor framework for the fold-down rear seat stuff. I've been a little hesitant to start that...

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1995 F150- The "home depot" machine

2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

there should be a clip on the cowl that rubs on the hood also, that is to help prevent radio noise

http://mustang.carnutguys.com/_Media/s6300778.jpeg

Wow, I've always wondered about the purpose of that clip! Although you would think the cowl and hood would be grounded through the hinges.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

I helped put the transmission in the stock eliminator car. Installed the repainted quarter extensions. We're getting close to being ready for our first race the end of the month. Indy!!! :D

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I got the last of the firewall and kick panel off the 'new' front clip from the passenger side. Wow - whatta PITA. Armed with the information on how to get it off, I've only got about a dozen more spot-welds to drill out on the driver side so it'll all be free as well.

Then - gotta knock off what's left of the rockers. The 'yard guys cut right through them so they're unusable.

Gonna hafta patch the top of the passenger-side torque box... don't know about the driver-side yet. Got some Rust Bullet on order.

My cell phone pictures suck... so I'll be sure take the camera next time.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif