What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

I installed some KYB shocks on the back. What a pain! They are gas filled and hard to compress. After several attempts I finally figured out a way to secure them compressed so I could install them. I didn't get to do a test drive. I still have to install the front shocks but those will be easier.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

You have to cut the strap in order to get the washer and rubber grommit on. Unless there is a trick.. ;)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Today was a good day!

I saw my 1971 Mach 1 for the first time in person today. I bought my car off eBay in August sight unseen and had to go off what the pictures and description showed in the auction. Truth be told I didn't think I was going to win the auction as I put what I thought was a low bid but I ended up winning. Problem is I currently live in Shanghai, China and the car was in California. Eventually I figured it all out and the car has been sitting at the shop since mid September and I've been requesting various pictures over the last 3 months to get an idea on how good the car really is.

I'm happy to report that the car is pretty much as I expected. Suspension is 46 years old and the bushings are dried out so I went through and replaced them along with the shocks and tie rods. I also completed brake jobs front and rear and did an overall inspection identifying a list of projects to work on when I need a break from the nut and bolt restoration of my 70 428 CJ. Overall the car is a really nice original driver that will make an excellent cruise night ride.

Now for the Mustang geek in me to come out. This car was originally sold in Japan and has been modified to meet Japanese rode regulations which is pretty darn cool. The more I look at the car the more interesting things I find. My car has extra bulbs wired into the outer most brake lot on each side as well as the lower turn signal lights in the front which act as driving lights. There is a separate switch (one of 4 extra switches on the car) that activates the driving lights. I also have two extra lights each located on the front fenders which are extra turn signals that can been seen from the side of the car. although pretty cool the wiring is a mess to say the least. The car also features a unique import plate on the drivers side front fender along with a number stamped into the drivers side shock tower. It was difficult to read so I'll bring a crayon tomorrow to fill it in to make it easier to read.

I'm also very happy to report that the 429 CJ is definitely the original engine and if you can believe it it still has an AUTOLITE distributor cap on it. All of the date codes I could find match approx 5 weeks before the car was built. All the rare and high dollar parts are in place and untouched making for an interesting find. Looks like there is some work to do on the vacuum lines as they reroute no the ram air to the front vacuum system vs the junction block in the back. I'll change that quickly.

For me it's always exciting to get to know an old car for the first time and figure out the story of what's happened and where it's been over all the years. This ones definitely got a lot of interesting stories to tell........

I'm heading back tomorrow to spend a day taking pictures and figure out what parts I need to start hunting down. Then I'll say good bye to the Mach 1 for 6-8 months until I return for the summer.

As I said..... It was a good day today. Tomorrow should be even better.......

I think I will start a make over thread as there are some pretty interesting things on this car.

Mark

71 Mach 1 J code - Japanese export

72 Convertible f code - first car

Numerous other Fords

Mark, it's good to hear you are happy with the purchase. That must be nerve racking for sure!

I drove mine again yesterday. Here in Phoenix it was in the 70's so no problems running with the top down.

'Mike'

I fired up my 72 yesterday pulled it out of the garage let it run for 1/2 hour than turned it around and put it back nose first so I could have more room for my Harley which I'm going to be doing some work on in the off season. I did a lot of work on the Mustang in 2016 so this year it's getting the off season off and my extra cash is going to my bike.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

Finally dropped the 351C back in the engine bay today.

Still have to hook up the trans and add all the 'stuff' back on, but it's under the hood now :banana:

IMG_20161215_145636885_zpspsjyc9m3.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Tucson, Az

1973 SportsRoof

351C bored .040

Crank .020  and Stock cam

Flattop pistons

Edelbrock 4bbl CARB 800 CFM ELEC CHOKE

Edelbrock Performer 2750 Intake Manifold

NewPrimedHood_zpsw2jaj0cu.jpg

The Street or Tack coil over was given another round of torque wrenching now that is on the wheels and on the lift. I rebuilt the steering coupling and it is installed. Tomorrow should get the rebuilt fast ratio steering box (Power Steering Services) installed.

Steering box and pitman arm installed. Took two tries as the arm could not be installed with the box installed. A gnats azz to get the assembly in with the Hooker Super Comps...

Ed

Yup I feel ya on being tight!

I used a ratchet strap from above and weaseled it in no fun

but steering is tight now well worth it!

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Tie rods in and torqued, motor mounts back in tight, a royal PITA required to get the steering box out... Next is to install the front sway bar, check for clearance of the bar, calipers and brake lines. I must say it has been darn nice to have my youngest son home from college. He helps immensely and receives my bitching in stride.

Replaced my Ignition switch today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20161227_153520.thumb.jpg.1f7bd415f5be168e4f1e76729522194a.jpg

20161227_153550.thumb.jpg.e37e23ddd6ab74fef09b3854c1656972.jpg

20161227_154631.thumb.jpg.d75f0094ad8585c4e59249d77abea406.jpg

20161227_154700.thumb.jpg.4f145cd42f13ffe0d724d712ac1c7356.jpg

Replaced my Ignition switch today!

Today I stripped "that old air cleaner" and made it blue again.

Dark blue over light blue over dark blue. I wish I had the before shots.

20161230_190422.thumb.jpg.2e3782c4222b5f6922b524f93192f1bb.jpg20161230_194241.thumb.jpg.206e2116a931c3640f0ae823f686d497.jpg

Spent yesterday fiberglassing back together my cracked a-piller covers. I so wish I could have found some to purchase. They wont look too bad once painted. They will be functional but I can still see the cracks.

Mike

Black 1985 GT

Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's

Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390ci, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Guest Pastel Blue

Spent yesterday fiberglassing back together my cracked a-piller covers. I so wish I could have found some to purchase. They won't look too bad once painted. They will be functional but I can still see the cracks.

I just took delivery on a set for my vert that I found on the major auction site. As soon as I saw them, I hit the buy it now button... Too bad they are blue, but I have a lot of work to do on my interior and right now it is just about acquiring the necessary replacements... keep looking, you never know...

Argh! I went to install the a-pillars and the drivers side one is too long and will not fit. I was able to patch together my original passengers side one, but the drivers side one came out of another 73 Mach 1 that my buddy found for me. He said they were laying in the floor boards and didn't actually unbolt them from the car so I'm guessing since the car was blue with a blue interior and the a-pillars were black, they did not belong to that car but rather a coupe of convertible.

I have my whole dash ripped apart to fit them and now another delay. The hunt continues.

Mike

Black 1985 GT

Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's

Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390ci, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Argh! I went to install the a-pillars and the drivers side one is too long and will not fit. I was able to patch together my original passengers side one, but the drivers side one came out of another 73 Mach 1 that my buddy found for me. He said they were laying in the floor boards and didn't actually unbolt them from the car so I'm guessing since the car was blue with a blue interior and the a-pillars were black, they did not belong to that car but rather a coupe of convertible.

I have my whole dash ripped apart to fit them and now another delay. The hunt continues.

Me,

We'll a little more work on the air cleaner. (Mama didn't like the smell of blue paint coming from the garage. [emoji57] 20170101_145545.thumb.jpg.1dc128079d5de685b54a3199245f0865.jpg20170101_145534.thumb.jpg.180306081099a4636b2aca23788b59af.jpg

Too much snow on the ground to drive my car so I went to storage and let it run for about 20 mins.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]