What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Cowl repair!

This is as far as I will take it since my welding skills are mediocre. I need to bribe someone else to finish it up for me. Good news is that the Dynacorn cowl was close enough to make a pretty good patch.

Peter

Did you buy the whole cowl and then just cut the hat area? Can you find just the lower cowl or you have to buy the whole thing?

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Cowl repair!

This is as far as I will take it since my welding skills are mediocre. I need to bribe someone else to finish it up for me. Good news is that the Dynacorn cowl was close enough to make a pretty good patch.

Peter

Did you buy the whole cowl and then just cut the hat area? Can you find just the lower cowl or you have to buy the whole thing?

1971 M-code Mach 1

I bought the whole thing to use a tiny part of it. Got it on sale so it was not totally insane.

Peter

On the flip side I finished stripping all the undercoating and paint off the transmission tunnel and torque boxes. Hope to get some epoxy primer on all this some time soon. Just need to finish up the cowl welding and bead blast everything.

IMG_1559.thumb.JPG.10a11080d5c1b7c72d93ba6fad85bdfe.JPG

Cowl repair!

Peter

I wonder if we could fit one of the cowl hat repair kits from underneath. It may require a little shaping on the horizontal portion. Can you tell me what's the diameter of the hat measured from inside.

1971 M-code Mach 1

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Cowl repair!

Peter

I wonder if we could fit one of the cowl hat repair kits from underneath. It may require a little shaping on the horizontal portion. Can you tell me what's the diameter of the hat measured from inside.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I can at the end of the week. I am away from the car until Thursday night.

Peter

Stripped most of the interior out of the car and dropped it off yesterday for a custom 6 point roll bar that will later be upgraded to an 8 point with a rear seat delete.

I'll have some fold down seat parts available in the near future

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Stripped most of the interior out of the car and dropped it off yesterday for a custom 6 point roll bar that will later be upgraded to an 8 point with a rear seat delete.

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Very cool.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I have a lot of interior work to do now. The rear of the rails turns down to hit the rear spring perches. I'm picking it up at 4 and will post more pictures then

Guest Pastel Blue

Had sent my original steel wheels into be blasted... I then sent them to my painter who just completed them. I will return the original factory paint daub colours to each wheel and then have the new tires installed, so I can get this thing rolling...

Got the motor and trans pulled out as one unit (sort of) my hoist did not go high enough to clear the entire unit over the rad support so I had to hop in the engine bay and remove the trans from the motor while it was dangling there. Luckily its a T5 and not too heavy. Started degreasing the block. Wow 43+ years of grease is going to be fun.

351c.thumb.jpg.0d1be39e9772e420e4f1735bc5b24c97.jpg

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I have heard good things about that shop.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Guest Pastel Blue

Picked up this apparently, "hens teeth" to obtain - non- Mach 1 chrome rear panel trim set, for $40... test fitted ok, now will require some polishing and the inner portion needs to be painted a flat black to match the original. It will suffice for now...

I wish someone would re-pop this particular trim or better yet, an NOS set fall into my lap......

534761530_Reartailpaneltrim.jpg.aa6545524cc3e690623918fc714923cf.jpg

Cowl repair!

Peter

1971 M-code Mach 1

6" ID

Thanks... the cowl repair kit has an 8" flange

1971 M-code Mach 1

I just found out I have a 9" rear axle. I always thought it was an 8" 2.75 coz that's what my Marti report says but previous owners must've done more than I thought! I know it's 9" because it's got the bulge on the back. Now I have to figure out the gear ratio!

EDIT: Marti actually says "2.75 conventional". Can anybody confirm that this means 8" for a '73?

I just found out I have a 9" rear axle. I always thought it was an 8" 2.75 coz that's what my Marti report says but previous owners must've done more than I thought! I know it's 9" because it's got the bulge on the back. Now I have to figure out the gear ratio!

EDIT: Marti actually says "2.75 conventional". Can anybody confirm that this means 8" for a '73?

Vinnie,

If I remember right the 8" only came in the 6 cylinders and 302 cars. If yours is a 351 car then it will have a 9 inch from the factory. 2.75 conventional is just the gear ratio and open carrier....no posi. And as you said, the dead giveaway that its a 9" is the hump on the rear. An 8" is round and smooth.

If you want to check your gear ratio and you have an open carrier (non-posi). Jack up 1 rear tire, leave other tire on ground, and turn it 2 full revolutions, have someone watch the drive shaft and count how many revolutions it makes. If you have 2.75 gear then the drive shaft should make 2 and 3/4 of a revolution.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Drove my 72 coupe 20 miles for the first time in 10 years. Ran good but would stall when coming to a stop. Adjusted the floats and then she ran pretty good. I noticed a wobble at speed coming from the rear. Not sure what it could be though. Ironing out the kinks is gonna take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working on dash because I have no dashlights. Changed some blown fuses and found some wires hanging that looked like they had come loose from each other. Wired them back together and now I have dashlights all the time when the key is on. So I guess that was not a good move. Love tracking down electrical gremlins.

Drove my 72 coupe 20 miles for the first time in 10 years. Ran good but would stall when coming to a stop. Adjusted the floats and then she ran pretty good. I noticed a wobble at speed coming from the rear. Not sure what it could be though. Ironing out the kinks is gonna take some time.

Check your tires. They could be flat-spotted from sitting so long... or some unwanted critters could've taken up residence on the inside surface of the rim - even fractions of ounces can throw wheel balance off, after all.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Check your tires. They could be flat-spotted from sitting so long... or some unwanted critters could've taken up residence on the inside surface of the rim - even fractions of ounces can throw wheel balance off, after all.

Thanks for the tip. The wheels and tires are new though. I got them last year and had them in storage. I guess it doesn't hurt to get the balance checked again. I'm hoping it's not the drive shaft or rear end. Anyone have experience with that being bad as far as symptoms?