What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Put in a new convertible top switch. Sick of the new garbage reproduction. Even the zip ties didn't help keep the switch working. Crap contacts and mechanism.

1dfe30f74fefb536d8d30e175212c74c.jpg

Used this one:

http://www.convertibleparts.com/unvrswi.html

Works great but the threaded shaft is a tiny bit smaller than the factory one. I had to superglue the nut that came with it to the end of the factory bezel nut. That worked and it's secure as you can see.

4668708dc446f59c8b404442f99554d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redid/cleaned up all the electrics in engine bay,

Done and tired to look/test wires, 2 weeks back there was a thread showing (bit pricey) aluminum cowl vent covers...

Wondered how hard it would be to make them so I gave it a try.

Turns out using my own CNC machine (read: my hands), less than 1 hour is enough (cut/drill/polish) and made this first set...

I'll prolly make some more combining other grille/metal.

cowl_cover1.jpg

and here in context (not fastened yet).

cowl_cover2.jpg

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

• 3 weeks later...

Installed new brakes and steering linkage. I'm trying to source motor mounts and an in tank fuel pump setup. I'm getting close to dropping the engine in. I think I'll start a build thread once it's together. 

TzgjRORl.jpg

XkffD9ll.jpg

Last weekend I went out to the 2017 Ruckus at the Rec Camp Car Show & Armed Forces Chili Cook-Off.  Had a blast and won another plaque.  Horny Mike from Counts Kustoms was there as well - he's an awesome guy and loves making these appearances.  Poor guy was majorly hung-over the next morning on the flight out of San Angelo (I was headed to Denver for a training class for work).

Here's Frank:

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

And some old fat guy with Horny Mike :D

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Here's a link to all the rest of the cool cars at the show.  Not a bad turn-out considering West Texas Shakedown was going on at the coliseum that day as well (200+ low-riders, hoopties, hoppers, bikes, rolling stereos, etc.).  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1753061721371405.1073741843.100000027814872&type=1&l=4d8213a74a

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

1504540694150_1239450683.jpg

21271188_1544004248995150_6436351960744545508_n.jpg

I'm at a Labor Day car show / picnic today but I'll send you the link tonight or tomorrow. I bought a pair of reconditioned headlights buckets in case I needed to do modifications but the LED headlights fit perfectly without any modifications.

I installed mine over the weekend. I didn't like the silver background on the buckets, so I painted them black..Got them in this evening. Left a silver outline that matches the rest of the grill area perfectly.  They look way better in person, I love 'em

thanks EB

PA080008.jpg

PA090010_1.jpg

PA080009.jpg

PA090011.jpg

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Nice job, that does look good. Was there a big improvement in lighting?

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

I haven't driven it out of the garage yet. But it is blinding in there ::thumb:: . Enough so that I am hoping that they at aimed correctly.

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

18 years ago, took the rear bumper out to store it above the car while busy, and sprayed it generously with teflon,

so it repeals moisture (Netherlands != Nevada)

Today, spend almost 3 hours to get it out. Turns out it "mutate" into some kind of hard finish coating over the years (left on pict).

Tons of very gentle moves with solvant on coton later and almost 3 hours, finally got it out without making scratches.

So good news is, it's very well preserved, but I know for sure next one I'll store will be rolled into plastic with trans oil. Much more easy to remove.

teflon.jpg

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

I'm at a Labor Day car show / picnic today but I'll send you the link tonight or tomorrow. I bought a pair of reconditioned headlights buckets in case I needed to do modifications but the LED headlights fit perfectly without any modifications.

I installed mine over the weekend. I didn't like the silver background on the buckets, so I painted them black..Got them in this evening. Left a silver outline that matches the rest of the grill area perfectly.  They look way better in person, I love 'em

thanks EB

PA080008.jpg

PA090010_1.jpg

PA080009.jpg

PA090011.jpg

+1.  Saw both of your posts and could not resist.  Very easy, just plug and play.  Huge improvement in illumination from dull yellow to bright white.  Thanks for pointing me towards this very cool mod.

unnamed.jpg

Last weekend I went out to the 2017 Ruckus at the Rec Camp Car Show & Armed Forces Chili Cook-Off.  Had a blast and won another plaque.  Horny Mike from Counts Kustoms was there as well - he's an awesome guy and loves making these appearances.  Poor guy was majorly hung-over the next morning on the flight out of San Angelo (I was headed to Denver for a training class for work).

Here's Frank:

And some old fat guy with Horny Mike :D

Here's a link to all the rest of the cool cars at the show.  Not a bad turn-out considering West Texas Shakedown was going on at the coliseum that day as well (200+ low-riders, hoopties, hoppers, bikes, rolling stereos, etc.).  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1753061721371405.1073741843.100000027814872&type=1&l=4d8213a74a

Car is lookin' good Eric!  Glad to see you got it out and enjoyed it.

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

thanks EB

PA080008.jpg

PA090010_1.jpg

PA080009.jpg

PA090011.jpg

+1.  Saw both of your posts and could not resist.  Very easy, just plug and play.  Huge improvement in illumination from dull yellow to bright white.  Thanks for pointing me towards this very cool mod.

unnamed.jpg

Hey Guys...the new headlights look great!  Isn't it cool how easy they fit into those notches in the buckets?  Since they align themselves with the notches in the buckets they will atleast start out as straight as your old bulbs were. I went through the alignment procedure up against a wall and found them to be pretty close to straight. They were easy to adjust.  Wait till you see how those high beams work!

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

...like night & day!

Got my new fuel tank setup for the Tanks Inc. in-tank setup. I 3d printed a drill jig for the vent opening since my 3" hole saw melted when I tried to use it on steel. I think I accidentally hardened the steel in another project lol. I was having issues with my argon tank and ended up just welding with flux core because I wont have a chance to get a new tank until next week. It looks hideous before I cleaned it up but worked good. Man do I suck with a hammer and dolly too, took me quite a while to get to something marginally acceptable. Took me the better part of Sunday with a trip to home depot in between. All I really need to do now is have bosses welded to my intake manifold so I can bolt the fuel rails down. I am using some convoluted clamp setup that I have never liked. I'd like to also run a smaller hard line under the car because I am using -8 pushlock now and don't feel comfortable with it.

J1rJRPjl.jpg

0qzYx36l.jpg

TCmVWB9l.jpg

IvjWEiVl.jpg

EUAKJsAl.jpg

I'm having a really hard time finding engine mounts, I might just end up fabricating a set. I like what Jason at autoedit did (@1:28): https://youtu.be/bNnukhEMQbo?t=1m28s looks like he just welded a 1/4" steel riser to the frame side mount.

Today was the 2nd Annual Joe's Bar & Grill Car Show (the guys who used to run the GAFB Rec Camp Car Show), and I took Frank out for bit.  Didn't get a plaque, but there were over 100 REALLY NICE cars, and I'm just there to have fun and blow people's minds when they hear (and see pics) about how bad it was when I started.

Here's the obligatory poser shot:

2017carshow1.jpg

And a little thing I like to call 'irony.'

Irony.jpg

Had a blast, but missing my pal Jim.  I'll post a link to my FB album with all the cool cars once I get the pics uploaded.

* Here dey is: https://www.facebook.com/eric.hansen.50/media_set?set=a.1773141946030049.1073741844.100000027814872&type=3

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Fired it up for the first time since around August. Had to pour a bit of gas down one of the carbs to get it going. It ran okay. I didn't drive it, just let it warm up a bit and idle. The last time I put fuel in it was back in March or April so it's getting a bit old. I think I will pick it up from mom's house this weekend or next week. The poor thing needs some love. But the weather is getting nice so I should be able to get some seat time.

After cleaning it up a bit my next project is an electric fuel pump. This will help when it has sat for a while for priming the carbs. It will also provide a great way to stop a thief if I put in a hiddle kill switch.

I am really looking forward to driving it again.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Found some motor mounts for cheap on ebay and they turned out to be in great shape. They were being sold as 71-73 mounts so I figured the seller didn't realize they were rare. You can still see the ford logo in the rubber and they are solid. I am considering rebuilding my loose set with polyurethane just to see how hard it would be.

ZY2Tmcel.jpg

l2ddVNbl.jpg

Put my black 1 wire alternator in. I really like the look of it. Time to finish my stereo

1971 Mustang Grande, 351 Cleveland 2v, C6, 9"

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Weiand Xcelerator intake

-Long Tube Headers

-Boss Hogg "Street Bandit"

My Build

Put my black 1 wire alternator in. I really like the look of it. Time to finish my stereo

I love my one wire, i have the black version.

Found some motor mounts for cheap on ebay and they turned out to be in great shape. They were being sold as 71-73 mounts so I figured the seller didn't realize they were rare. You can still see the ford logo in the rubber and they are solid. I am considering rebuilding my loose set with polyurethane just to see how hard it would be.

ZY2Tmcel.jpg

l2ddVNbl.jpg

I believe those are 73 they are different and the vert is different from coupe and fastback also in 73. The 73 mount cannot separate and the engine roll over trapped by metal.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I believe those are 73 they are different and the vert is different from coupe and fastback also in 73. The 73 mount cannot separate and the engine roll over trapped by metal.

I was wondering what was different. When I tried to buy after market from NAPA,Autozone,etc.   the hole where it mounted to the frame was just enough off location that I coldn't get the bolt through. I put the originals back in. When I got the new motor, the shop replaced them with new, but I never di ask about where they got them or if they fit without mods?

Bought this a long time ago and finally got around to installing.

Note the piece of foam holding the original up. It would always fall down during driving. I tried to put a little dimple in around the ball socket with a spring loaded center punch, but won't know if it did any good until I get to drive around.

PA230003.jpg

For a minute, I thought that I could get the old one off in one piece...

blade.jpg

PA230007.jpg

Text shows it is the new one. Can't wait to try it out....

PA270010.jpg

After taking the mirror off of the body and operating, I discovered that I could just removed the mirror with bracket leaving the housing on the door. So if I have to try and stiffen it up, I know how to take it off easier.

ZY2Tmcel.jpg

l2ddVNbl.jpg

They are 73, I have to double check that they are for a fastback but they look just like my old set.

Well, I've been eyeballing that Pertronix Ignitor III unit for months now. It is advertised as having more available spark energy than the regular original Pertronix, or the following Pertronix II, supplies a multiple spark like an MSD, and has a programmable rev limiter.....all fitting inside the factory distributor.

I've been running the original Pertronix Ignitor for something like 20 years now, no problems, so I had to try out the new unit. They recommend purchasing the Ignitor III coil to go with the module, so I did. I had long ago installed the Pertronix relay kit to give the ignition a full 12 volt operating voltage so I was set.

The new III module just bolts right in, the magnet wheel that was slipped over the breaker cam for the original unit is not used, the III triggers off of the breaker cam itself....pretty simple. The Rev limiter is pre-set at 5500 from the manufacturer when you get it. I left it alone. Being a stock 351c, a higher redline isn't reasonable, and I'll likely not even rev to 5000 in normal driving, so instead of re-setting the rev limiter lower, I left it alone.

I re-installed the distributor to the engine in the same position marked when removed, installed the coil, attached the wires, turned the key, she lit immeadiately and idled nicely. ( It did before too ). Its just nice to know some manufacturers stuff actually works as advertised. I'm getting slightly better gas mileage, and acceleration is noticeably snappier. I'd say I'm happy with the addition.

Just to fine tune the car now, I think I'll open my plug gaps and adjust my total advance ( which is a bit high ), looking to run 10 initial, 34 total when all is said and done.

Went to the Auto Hobby Shop, changed the oil, and cleaned the tires.  There was a lot of built-up tire dressing - after most of a big bottle of Bleech White, the tire dressing's gone, but the faded white letters on the fronts still persist.  I might just have to get a [white] tire pen and paint 'em.  Rears still look great.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif