What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

The last time I had my car out after dark, I struggled with the dreaded headlight flicker syndrome.  They're on...now off...back on.....  I installed this headlight relay harness on my Mach today.  It's dang nice, works perfect, and is completely plug and play without any cutting of the car's factory wiring.  Still have some other work I want to do, this is a good start.

Mach_One

1971 J-Code Owner

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

I now have functional hydraulic brakes (Mustang Steve setup)!  Got the steel lines massaged to where they look decent and some custom Crown brake hoses.  Next step is to get the parking brake hooked up, need to measure up everything and get Bruin to make up some cables.  Might be a roller again in the near future.

We're getting some nice weather this week so I got my fuel system together. I ran new 3/8 NiCopp hardlines from the new tanks inc. in-tank pump setup and replaced the -8 pushlock I was running all around with -6. I spent today trying to figure out the whacky setup that holds my fuel rails down but finally got it. Now I just need to install the exhaust pipes, install the power steering pump, the radiator, connect the rest of the wiring and mount the battery. I keep saying it will run soon but I mean it this time lol. There's so many things I'm coming across that I really don't like and I'm taking the time to fix. I already revised the squiggly return line in the picture with a cleaner 45º hose end and a bit shorter hose. This was a "pull the engine and replace the bearings in a weekend" deal and is turning into a full restoration  :shootself:

EbqvVCCl.jpg

It is 60 out and had rain over the weekend to wash the salt off the roads so got it out of storage and took it for a drive. I missed my girl this winter.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

It has been below freezing & snowing most days this week in the UK. Today is a bit better, 4 degrees Celsius after a 1 degree start & some sleet. Snow is now melting.

My mate came over from the post-industrial city of Sheffield to help me fire up my rebuilt, forged piston, solid lifter Cleveland motor. The garage was warm enough & we just pushed her backwards til the rear was out in the carport. It all went pretty well, fired right up, 70psi oil pressure at 2500rpm & cold, from stock Ford pump, around 60 when it warmed up. Ran her for about 15 mins total, between 2000 & 3000 rpm. Finally dropped down to 1500 & set timing. Going to run some more another day before installing lambda sensor, checking valve lash & setting idle.

Looking forward to some dry warm weather soon to get her out for a test drive on the local bypass. The way it's been lately it could be quite a few weeks to go.

20180226_173815_45.jpg

Got the rest of the tail light panel off today, cut out about half of the trunk floor (will be taking more out before fitting the new floor in), made a homemade media blaster out of a blow gun and water bottle and cleaned up some of the frame rail. Got some blasting media at the local Tractor Supply, 50 pounds for $8.00, seemed like a great price and did a really good job. I got the fine media but may stop by and pick up a bag of course to see it it works even better. Going to continue cutting out the trunk in the next couple days and continue with de-rusting it before using any rust proofing, then on to weld-through primer and putting the new floor in. Making progress feels good. Also measured things out as per the dimensions diagram and so far, measurements are good to go.

Tom

It looks like a mess but I'm going to try to start it up tomorrow for the first time with on the new engine. Once it runs I will go back and clean up the wiring and everything else about this picture that is bothering me. 

ugrQWUxl.jpg

Made some serious progress last night. Spent the better part of yesterday morning getting the heads assembled.  My cam showed up yesterday afternoon so last night from 8pm to midnight we swapped out cams, mounted the new heads and got the valve train together.  I have to admit I'm pretty darn stiff this morning from bending over the engine all day.  Next time I'm definitely pulling the engine out. haha

1971 Mustang Grande, 351 Cleveland 2v, C6, 9"

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Weiand Xcelerator intake

-Long Tube Headers

-Boss Hogg "Street Bandit"

My Build

Working on the 48,000 mile original 73 vert some. Since I had the couple shake down trips last year I knew the Power Steering pump need new seals. I ordered and took apart. That is one crazy pump inside. Everything looked perfect not trash, no wear, no scratches. I got the new O-rings and seals in and back on the car yesterday. Now to get the Power brake booster off and send to NAPA they rebuild your old one and send back same one. I will not hold a vacuum when tested. Hope that gets all the issues put away. Only have about 40 miles on a car that sat for 25 years. No trans or engine leaks, no rear axle leaks. It had new brakes all around but I did rebuilt calipers.

Going to head out to another members place Saturday to pick up a 4 bolt 351 C for the 72 Q code. Might have the 2 bolt up for sale. It has never been cranked. Was bored, crank ground, new cam, springs, lifters and roller rockers by PO.

No pics of the pump rebuilt but here is the car. It needs paint to be better but it is original Ford paint and interior.

David

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I have been busy doing a lot of work while I was adding the clutch pedal, including replacing the intermediate brake line, fuel vapor line, replacing the booster, replacing the steering firewall gasket with a gasket for a manual, installing clutch pedal, bearings and cable, checking wiring, replacing bulbs, and adapting late Mustangs pedal covers.

Here is a picture where you can see an automatic with a clutch pedal... :chin: :P

20180316_004010.jpg

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Actually got up a little early today and went with my buddy to Cars & Coffee.  Had a blast!  One of the guys always takes superb pics and shares them - here's mine:

cars&coffeeMar2018.jpg

Here's a link to pics of the rest of the cars that showed up:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenhorton/sets/72157694591097035/with/39052454250/

Afterward, I took a trip over to Meineke and got Frank inspected, where he was a big hit with the guys.  It's so weird actually doing the menial things like getting vehicle safety inspections, renewing registration, etc... it's like its a real car now and stuff.   ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Dude - IT LIVES!!  Congrats!! ::thumb::

I just found out that mine made the news.  One of the local TV stations did a feature on Cars & Coffee, and mine got some screen time.  OK, only background footage, and only for about a second or five.

http://www.conchovalleyhomepage.com/video?videoId=1055387931&carousel=1&index=5

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Got the Cleveland out and over to a friends shop.  Going to refresh the carb, put some new valve springs in it and run it on the stand.  I have some pretty nasty springs in it currently and am going to swap to some beehives with a lower spring pressure.  Should shed some weight and make my lifters and cam hate me a little less.

Also got the heater / AC box back together and slapped it into the car to see how it fit.  Going to pull it back out to put a screen over the fresh air intake.  Not that I ever plan on storing the car outside but after the amount of junk I found in the HVAC box It isn't going back in with a screen.

Also took another pic for good measure.

1_D7_B1_A38_D442_4_CBC_B948_F6_FF0_CFFD93_C.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The engine bay on my 351w was looking tired, so time for an upgrade.

38646751715_f2d81534c7_b.jpg

I restored the shock tower panels and fitted new rockers, air cleaner and an import brace.

I'll be keeping the original braces and rockers for originality.

41093879002_12bbb40337_b.jpg

Mark

Spring freshen up

15225398014339044263231569374231.jpg

What’s up with all the mismatched rockers??  Have they been ground down for clearance??  Looks a little sketchy.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.