What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Did a bunch of cursing, throwing tools, busting knuckles and almost got my pitman arm off.  :atomic:

I will be getting my 3rd pitman arm puller, this one has cross bolts so the stupid thing doesn't keep slipping off. I will finish cutting into it tommorow and I'll get the new tool Saturday. This is probably the worst job I've done on this car and I've done almost everything else lol. It's seized on there so good I'm not sure there will be splines left if I ever get it off. I'm going slow with the cutting and chiseling away thin sections when I'm close to the shaft. Got one chunk out so far and it got dark and I had enough. Used a whole can of PB blaster so far too.

lnBxoKSl.jpg

Did a bunch of cursing, throwing tools, busting knuckles and almost got my pitman arm off.  :atomic:

I will be getting my 3rd pitman arm puller, this one has cross bolts so the stupid thing doesn't keep slipping off. I will finish cutting into it tommorow and I'll get the new tool Saturday. This is probably the worst job I've done on this car and I've done almost everything else lol. It's seized on there so good I'm not sure there will be splines left if I ever get it off. I'm going slow with the cutting and chiseling away thin sections when I'm close to the shaft. Got one chunk out so far and it got dark and I had enough. Used a whole can of PB blaster so far too.

lnBxoKSl.jpg

Get a Snap-on CJ119B and don’t look back.

Get a Snap-on CJ119B and don’t look back.

I just got an OTC 7311A from Amazon and it worked like a charm. Granted I already cut it up and doused it in PB but from the time the package was delivered I had it off in about 5 minutes. One good shot with my impact gun and it was off. The side to side bolts were key IMO, the cheapos from Autozone just bent apart and slipped off the pitman arm. The snap-on piece definitely looks more solid but hopefully I won't need another one. 

bQQGxNil.jpg

Fixed my shifter, replaced the bushings. It is really amazing how solid it feels, not knowing that it was supposed to feel like this. My bushing were entirely gone, not a trace of plastic left.

Also got to use one of my tools that makes a job like this easier. I could get to 3 of the bolts that hold the shifter bucket in place with a socket, but the full length console blocked access to the 4th. The thought of taking the console out was making me shake my head.

Using an open ended wrench was going to take forever, going a degrees and then flipping the wrench to get another bit, and back and forth all day. But this wrench with the ratchet built in made it painless. Still takes some time because you still only get a couple degrees turn per ratchet click. But it I was smiling the whole time.

P1010012.jpg

P1010015.jpg

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Finally a hassle free drive. Tidied up the engine harness and it started right up. The car ran well, took it for a 20 minute spin in the sun.

Garage is ready and car is ready. Nice!

My 72 convertible is running again. What a great feeling, with all the things life throws at us, to have my pride and joy almost road worthy! It has been a very long path but right now it just feels "right". Brakes are next. Just don't feel confident rolling on 30+ year old brake parts.

Ray

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Got the Cleveland running again Sunday.  Hope to have it in the car and able to fire (but not drive) in a couple weeks.

[video=youtube]

Ummmm...did you notice that your oil pressure gauge didn't move?

Yep.  

The engine stand oil pressure gauge is a pain, we had a stand alone one plumbed in, it is hanging off the lower left side of the stand console out of view.  You can see it hanging out (but not the needle) 7 seconds into the video.  That is why the console oil pressure gauge stays at 0

Took a screenshot from a different video.  Loads of oil pressure!

6_B320260_6_FB2_40_CE_81_F8_04_CB430_C60_E0.jpg

Awesome. Love the sound of open headers. Cut outs will be my favorite winter project.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Cleaned up the beast and did some work on the clutch cable as it seems to not want to hold the adjustment. Hope the work I did tonight works.

9_A9_AE986_4254_45_BA_8_B4_B_F24_E20_F09_A82.jpg

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

More work done on my engine compartment!

Looking sharp there.

I met a guy online that is fighting getting all the chrome stuff off a 71 Boss. It was a show car when new and they literally chromed everything that could be unbolted from the car. Rear end housing, leaf springs, hinges, shock tower braces brake booster, etc. You guys needed to meet and swap out parts, lol. He has them all stripped and painted back now.

D

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I spent 6 hours yesterday on the 2 post lift washing and cleaning under the car. Went to show on Saturday and got caught in downpour. First time the car was wet in 26 years. Not a restored car but an original survivor. I got a top 20 award at the show in stock class and won $50 on the drawing. My neck hurts today, lol. Camera is somewhere hiding I probably took to garage and sat down somewhere.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

congrats on the top 20.

- Jason

Where is this guy...where is this guy...where is this guy??? Once you start with chroming pieces you can't stop until everything looks decent, i.e. not rusty LOL!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

Where is this guy...where is this guy...where is this guy??? Once you start with chroming pieces you can't stop until everything looks decent, i.e. not rusty LOL!

he was in Atlanta. I ran ad in cl looking for some parts and he answered. Had two 71 Boss and had restored several before. I think car was from Texas and was a show car with all the chrome that he was removing. Chrome pieces rust also look at magnum 500 wheels and bumpers.

D

David

Swapped out the ancient KYB Gas a Just shocks that made the Mach ride like an F350 short bed. Put in average joe GR-2/Excels - man what a a difference. Suspension actually works and follows the road now, instead of banging around and hopping over all the bad spots.

Worked with a friend to rebuild brakes on the convertible. Help was invaluable. I learned a lot.

Should be finished by mid-week. Looking forward to putting the dash back together and driving on the road!

Then general troubleshooting of inevitable issues and lots of detailing/polishing.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

David...Offshore "CHROME" on aftermarket parts might rust fast. But if you have it done professionally quality show chrome lasts a lot longer! You have to stay on the ball and take care of it!  :D No driving in rain, not even with the top down...LOL!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!