What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Not just poking fun a GM but they did have some huge issues with the speed that the metal rusted.

Back when they first came out with their little pick up trucks they actually crushed several hundred that got rust holes in the body before they were ever sold.

If you look at the inner reinforcements on an early camaro or firebird you can see it was just hot rolled steel pickled and oiled. You can see like a grain in the surface. That is the bottom of the barrel steel you can use nothing cheaper except just hot rolled and not pickled like angle iron is.

I am not up to speed on what Ford does now on their frames but they use to dip the assembled frame in hot wax to coat inside and out for rust protection.

It is true on a quiet night you can hear a GM car rusting, lol.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Hi guys 

Had a beer ::beer:: , fitted 3 point seat belts, had another beer ::beer:: , fitted CB...had another beer ::beer:: then tuned the CB antenna SWR to perfection and got a CB'r 9 miles away on a rig check, had another beer ::beer::  ...then polished the wheels,... cos I wasn't fit for doing much else  - then had another ...you guess ::beer::

work.jpg

………. A CB!!!! Now that's definitely "70's! Didn't know people actually still use them...……. other than truckers, sorry Lorry drivers.

Looking good though.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Not just poking fun a GM but they did have some huge issues with the speed that the metal rusted.

Back when they first came out with their little pick up trucks they actually crushed several hundred that got rust holes in the body before they were ever sold.

If you look at the inner reinforcements on an early camaro or firebird you can see it was just hot rolled steel pickled and oiled. You can see like a grain in the surface. That is the bottom of the barrel steel you can use nothing cheaper except just hot rolled and not pickled like angle iron is.

I am not up to speed on what Ford does now on their frames but they use to dip the assembled frame in hot wax to coat inside and out for rust protection.

It is true on a quiet night you can hear a GM car rusting, lol.

My truck had the wax dip coating on the frame from the factory. Problem is that it was bare steel underneath and the wax is easily damaged. I made the mistake of not keeping up on it as well as I should have. Supposedly, the newest trucks have an improved version of the wax coating that's more durable. 

Of course, things look fine from underneath, but when you take the bed off, it's really easy to see exactly how bad things are. Frame rails themselves are in good shape, it's the spare tire H-member that's the worst and I'm fabbing a new rear wall for that. I also need to weld in new upper shock mount brackets. The rest of the frame and the body on the truck are excellent, with a couple small spots of surface rust on the sharp edges. I'm going to phosphate treat the underside to remove as much of that as possible, then slather on some Rust Bullet. Before next winter it'll get a Fluid Film treatment. 

I believe Ford is currently using E-coat dip on their frames.

So after fitting the gear stick with pubes...  :-/  I now turned to the electrics, specifically with hidden LED footwell illumination  ...now it's a Brothel.

the new switch on the left will turn on all the interior lights when doors closed -- the one on the right switches the antenna from Radio to CB 

this switch pair is brand new, though intended for a 1970's Peterbilt Truck -- I chose these because they look like they always belonged - they are on a steel bezel with a grained rugged black paint.

footy2.jpg

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

So after fitting the gear stick with pubes...  :-/  I now turned to the electrics, specifically with hidden LED footwell illumination  ...now it's a Brothel.

the new switch on the left will turn on all the interior lights when doors closed -- the one on the right switches the antenna from Radio to CB 

this switch pair is brand new, though intended for a 1970's Peterbilt Truck -- I chose these because they look like they always belonged - they are on a steel bezel with a grained rugged black paint.

footy2.jpg

Now you need those little projector things for your doors that show a Mustang logo on the ground as you get in and out:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys 

Had a beer ::beer:: , fitted 3 point seat belts, had another beer ::beer:: , fitted CB...had another beer ::beer:: then tuned the CB antenna SWR to perfection and got a CB'r 9 miles away on a rig check, had another beer ::beer::  ...then polished the wheels,... cos I wasn't fit for doing much else  - then had another ...you guess ::beer::

work.jpg

Nice....

Hi guys 

i'm glad you enjoyed your beer-sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

work.jpg

Nice....

Made this for connecting to my new radio when I install it. Gives the lighter bezel something to do and looks stock when not in use. Now I just have to figure out how to actually install it in the dash :chin:

Mustang-USB-Ports.jpg

Hi, Where I can buy that  ? ? ?

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_31_03_16_10_26_59.png

The later you brake the longer you're fast. ::devil::

.png

Made this for connecting to my new radio when I install it. Gives the lighter bezel something to do and looks stock when not in use. Now I just have to figure out how to actually install it in the dash :chin:

Mustang-USB-Ports.jpg

It's home made dude!  :)

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

footy2.jpg

Now you need those little projector things for your doors that show a Mustang logo on the ground as you get in and out:)

That would be too tacky even for me  ::thumb::

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Finally won the kickdown rod return spring battle today.  I have an old actual "Barry Grant" Demon carburetor (before they got bought out).  After buying every bit of bracketry now made by Demon/Holley I finally gave up and got out the hacksaw and file.  Some silver solder, 1/8" stainless sheet, 3/8" stainless steel tube and a couple long 1/4-20 bolts and I was in business.  The red arrow is pointing at the handy-work.

fullsizeoutput-1036.jpg

Also swapped valve covers, I thought I'd like these black ones more than I do.  

IMG-7049.jpg

Finally won the kickdown rod return spring battle today.  I have an old actual "Barry Grant" Demon carburetor (before they got bought out).  After buying every bit of bracketry now made by Demon/Holley I finally gave up and got out the hacksaw and file.  Some silver solder, 1/8" stainless sheet, 3/8" stainless steel tube and a couple long 1/4-20 bolts and I was in business.  The red arrow is pointing at the handy-work.

fullsizeoutput-1036.jpg

Also swapped valve covers, I thought I'd like these black ones more than I do.  

IMG-7049.jpg

Nicely done...not surprised   ::thumb::

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

I installed my LED headlights. Can you tell which one it is?

gubYeFz.jpg

Mustang-USB-Ports.jpg

Yeah, I want one of those too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I installed my LED headlights. Can you tell which one it is?

gubYeFz.jpg

I like them Ed!!! Are they just plug and play?? Where did you pick them up??

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Yes, plug and play. Not inexpensive but well made with Hella glass.

https://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=4ede49aa-b62e-498f-8f34-32ae009cc76c

Finished the repairs to the frame on my '07 Silverado and three coats of Rust Bullet. Tomorrow night is putting the rear brake lines and hoses in and laying the wiring back in place, then we'll see if I can bleed the ABS unit out or if it'll require a pressure bleeding.

IMAG3600.jpg

I have an 08 Silverado that I gave to my son and really need to do some rust treatments to it as well, it was a northern truck transplanted here in the south. Just fought the rust this weekend on it, the fuel pump metal fitting coming off the pump had a rust hole in it that I found this weekend, had to change the whole pump. Also changed out the front right upper control arm and ball joint, those bolts were rusted tight as well. Good luck Hemi, its looking great.

On my 73 mach, I have a spare drivers door that is in great condition except for a hammer size dent that a neighbor kid put in by accident. Spent time today with a stud welder and dent puller. Got the crease mostly out and will give it another go in the next few days.

Tom