What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

I got up early and left for Charlotte to go to the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum, for show and check on the Mach 1. I left at 6:00 am this morning, too early. The car ran fine for the over 100 mile trip down and 100 back. No heating issues ran some areas 70 mph and some stop and go. It was in the 90's on the way back temp gage did not move climbing back up the mountains. Burned a little over 16 gallons of the 90 octane no ethanol fuel with the Lucas gas additive. That stuff is $3.60 a gallon here.

I did have one issue. About a mile before the exit to the Charlotte Speedway car developed a big shake. I slowed down and when I got off interstate pulled in burger joint parking lot. The steel belts had broken on the right front and were sticking out. I eased on the last three miles to the MOM and got out and watched it go flat.

The spare in the car is an original never used that luckily I took out and put another in.

I ask at the MOM about tire store and when I got through giving the Mach 1 a dusting and applying polish to the vinyl roof I went to find one. There was no tires the size needed anywhere. They do not keep at the store has to be ordered. So I got back on I-85 and ran 55 mph most of the way back and made it home. I think that is first flat I have had in probably 35 years. Do not know how old the tires were they came off the crashed vert I bought and are Kelly Springfield brand made in South Africa, lol. I was planning on polishing another set of the 73 slots and get new tires anyway so this moves that along.

Got some prospects of buyers for some of my other cars while there.

Couple pics of some new car they brought in. Also the nice 72 351 CJ air cleaner a member sold me came this past week.

Now to go find a different tire to put on the vert. Does look odd with one aluminum wheel and three spott wheel covers. Just noticed I did not even take a pic of the vert at the MOM today.

There was a 72 coupe also showed up. I think they will be doing an all Ford show at the MOM the last Saturday of each month.

Also a couple pictures of the fan cooled transmission cooler I installed to take some more heat out of the radiator. I made the two brackets and use Ford fender nuts and bolts and used existing holes and fasteners to install. No new holes had to be added. It does work great when I got home I opened hood and the return line is barely warm and incoming is hot.

I did have to make up new metal lines from the transmission to the radiator support and then rubber hose to the cooler to absorb any vibration. Only one 90 deg. bend to get out the front of the transmission and only slight bend near shock tower.

They still have the bad side of my car toward the isle but still up front third car in the door.

IDSC-0999.jpg

DSC-1000.jpg

DSC-1001.jpg

DSC-1002.jpg

DSC-1003.jpg

DSC-1005.jpg

DSC-1007.jpg

DSC-1008.jpg

DSC-1011.jpg

DSC-1012.jpg

DSC-1013.jpg

DSC-1014.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Thanks. The PS went on pretty well after a couple of test fittings. The DS I'm still not happy with so I'll probably tweak it when I get some help. I believe it was a bit messed up from a previous incident, based on some damage I found when I took it apart. Had extra shims too. I guess I'll see if I need them when I get the hood on.

Took a trip to the plating shop.  Dropped off the Hurst shifter handle and both twist lock tops for re-chrome.

$100 for all 3.  I thought that was a hell of a deal!

Kcmash

Well the plater quoted 3 weeks and finished in 3 days!

Here is the 40 dollar shifter handle job.

20190703-094533.jpg

That turned out great.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Took a trip to the plating shop.  Dropped off the Hurst shifter handle and both twist lock tops for re-chrome.

Kcmash

if you want to get something chromed in southern California  it cost a arm and a leg and it farmed out to mexico  

20190703-094533.jpg

Kcmash

if you want to get something chromed in southern California  it cost a arm and a leg and it farmed out to mexico  

20190703-094533.jpg

Well, I am super satisfied with these guys.  I got the shifter handle and both hood twist lock buttons replated and polished for $100.    The chrome looks incredible and they are super friendly to deal with.  DeTray Plating in Independence MO.

Let me know what else I can tell you about them.

kcmash

How often do you have to add gear lube to it? Usually the differential does need topping off unless it has a leak.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Started mine up for the 4th of July party guests.  Just because I finally can....

kcmash

How often do you have to add gear lube to it? Usually the differential does need topping off unless it has a leak.

I had a small leak -- stopped the leak and added about half a pint

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

I had a small leak -- stopped the leak and added about half a pint

You should be ready to go, then. One other question, do you have a traction lock rear end? Some require a friction modifier in the lube.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Just a little Idle time.

Checked fan and blower functions, checked Power Steering.   Blower- good, Power Steering-not good.  Idling - Sweet, a little rich.

kcmash

I'm pretty sure the PS pump went bad sitting dry for 20 years.

Sweet. Sounds good. Looks fantastic!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

Just a little Idle time.

Checked fan and blower functions, checked Power Steering.   Blower- good, Power Steering-not good.  Idling - Sweet, a little rich.

kcmash

I'm pretty sure the PS pump went bad sitting dry for 20 years.

Sweet! When I close my eyes, yours sounds just like mine and it's only a 302 Windsor LOL!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

I got the new BFG sneakers for the Mach yesterday.  Torqued the rears down today.

Went to the air show, so not much garage time.  Back to the office tomorrow.

kcmash

I put the hood and grille on this past weekend. She's 99% back together! All that's left are the rear valance that I can't seem to get a good finish on with the Dupli-Color, a couple of electrical issues (horn and brake lights), and chasing a leak or two. Then she's ready for safety inspection and a tag!

20190707-193951.jpg

20190707-193900.jpg

Awesome. Looks great.

- Jason

I put the hood and grille on this past weekend. She's 99% back together! All that's left are the rear valance that I can't seem to get a good finish on with the Dupli-Color, a couple of electrical issues (horn and brake lights), and chasing a leak or two. Then she's ready for safety inspection and a tag!

20190707-193951.jpg

I really like how those wheels look. Great job!

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Thanks! I was going for something a little different, yet period-correct. These are American Racing Vectors like the General Lee wore. No offense to anyone here, but I get tired of seeing Cragars, slots, and Magnums all the time, and I'm not a fan of the new-style street rims in 18+ diameter on old cars.

Let's see...

Installed the little green spring on the clutch z-bar

Painted fasteners for the AC Condensor,

Removed the hood latch to install the Condensor

Installed the Condensor

Re-Installed the Hood latch assy

Installed the Dryer

Cross threaded the large AC hose at the condensor

Removed the Hood Latch Assy

Removed the Condensor

Cussed a lot in the middle.

Posted on the forums