What did you do to your car today?

Finally figured out how the stupid clutch helper spring comes out on my 73 mach 1 and did the gymnastics to actually do it. I am more excited than I should be because I have tried 3 or 4 times over the last few months and gave up, since I couldn't position myself in way that I could see anything. I need a lift....

Just waiting on heavier coilover springs tomorrow and hopefully it will be driving better than ever. 

nBYYE9Ml.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I started today with the goal of getting the leaf springs off to replace the bushings. The bolts won that battle, but I got a case of the "since I'm here"s and ended up stripping and painting the

My car came with factory 8 Track, but the player was DOA. I wanted to keep the look, but integrate Bluetooth. So I bought a board on eBay that can easily power the 4 speakers. I hogged out the guts of

Shiny new thing showed up from Quick Performance today....     

Posted Images

So I replaced ALL my steering gear ... so ....

..."Allah be praised... my speed is only rivaled by the lightening bolts from the heavens "

aallah.jpg

".. the Cannonball will fall to the forces of Islaaam ! ! !"

wizzy.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=7211]Visit My Treasure chest[/button]

I finally finished painting my original battery tray after soaking it in rust remover for 3 days, I'm surprised that stuff actually works. I'm thinking of doing the inner fenders next because they have light rust specs forming, and then ill spray them with the factory style overspray

Applied two coats of rust bullet on the interior of the passenger door. I have already done the driver's side. After the rust bullet I will apply the no-brand mat insulation and boom mat spray. Then the weatherstrips, passenger quarter roll down mod, door hinges, and panel alignment. Then I can drive it in this virus infested world. Edit: I will make sure I burn a lot of the tire surface before I park in the garage so all the infection stays outside!

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

replaced rear shocks and got air system working 

nipple.jpg

shocks.jpg

...his stance is still correct though 

2020-stang2.jpg

wizzy.jpg

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=7211]Visit My Treasure chest[/button]

nipple.jpg

shocks.jpg

...his stance is still correct though 

2020-stang2.jpg

Looks good, but now it is time to get rid of that surface rust! :whistling:

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

54182-D82-5-DCF-4-F09-8-D95-9-A0-D292-C34-E9.jpg

Started the 429 vert for the first time (after a 4 1/2 month slumber) this year and moved it to the next door neighbour’s driveway. She started right up, well, when the fuel pump got gas to the carb... I always pour a little in the carb to help expedite the starting process... I had to move her so that I could remove the scissor hoist underneath the car as I am in the process of moving to the new house. Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

shocks.jpg

Hey ...that's highly valued ancient Idaho Falls surface rust  :P ... I can't get rid of that ! ! ! ! ...it's history    ::tease::

wizzy.jpg

shocks.jpg

Hey ...that's highly valued ancient Idaho Falls surface rust  :P ... I can't get rid of that ! ! ! ! ...it's history    ::tease::

Oh well, then you should leave it alone. I removed most of my Long Island rust... :D

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

54182-D82-5-DCF-4-F09-8-D95-9-A0-D292-C34-E9.jpg

Started the 429 vert for the first time (after a 4 1/2 month slumber) this year and moved it to the next door neighbour’s driveway. She started right up, well, when the fuel pump got gas to the carb... I always pour a little in the carb to help expedite the starting process... I had to move her so that I could remove the scissor hoist underneath the car as I am in the process of moving to the new house. Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...

Ken, yesterday, I was sorting out all my old Mustang Monthly magazines as most are going to recycling. I found the one with your car on the cover. Unfortunately, they stuck the address label right over the middle of it. No way to remove it, but it's one of the few I'm keeping. I'm sure you have a copy too. (At least, I'm 99% sure this was the one)

IMG-1344-2-LI.jpg

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...

Yeah, if there are shows this year! Trump talked in weeks to re open country last nite I saw, here we talk in months scale before considering think about gatherings...

Hope you will, it's a gorgeous car.

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...

Yeah, if there are shows this year! Trump talked in weeks to re open country last nite I saw, here we talk in months scale before considering think about gatherings...

Hope you will, it's a gorgeous car.

Well, I am booked for my first MCA show in Buffalo, later July... We’ll see if I can criss the border to attend. There are couple here in Canada I might look at as well, again, depending on the outcome. Thx.

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Before I start it the engine for the first time after the winter break I am doing some engine bay work. I really want to start the engine up and run it without mufflers to wake and cheer the neighborhood up.

• I had mistakenly used 5W-30 oil so I drained 3 quarters and added 10W-30. I don't feel it would be much of a deal since the "W" viscosity comes into play only when it is cold.
  • Removed the mystery spacer between the water pump and fan clutch, but realized that I need some kind of spacer because so the blades don't smash against the A/C compressor. I figured that a 1/2" spacer would be safe. The previous spacer was 1 1/4", so that means that the fan would be 3/4" further back in the shroud which in theory should be a tad more efficient. Right now the top of the fan is about 1/8" sticking out while the bottom is 3/4" inside the shroud. With the new spacer the top would be at about half a blade out, and the bottom would be at the edge.
  • Replaced the steering pump pulley with a smaller one to help the pump rotate faster with the hope of fixing the lack of assist in idle. I have an Saginaw pump that I custom added a couple of years ago and I may have picked too large of a pulley.

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Replaced all the ignition cables with Moroso DIY and all the sparkys with Autolite 

elecs.jpg

:D

wizzy.jpg

Picked up my car from the shop today. Break work, replace fender apron at battery area. Rust repair around the tail lights, new Magnum 500s and tires and a few other things. Now I tear into the interior.

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom

I cleared out his home 

garage.jpg

I need to do that so I can bring his Jeep brother home.

OK - so, does "talking about my Mustang" count?   :whistling:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I went for the first drive of the year. I was testing a lot of stuff that I have done this winter: rear brake upgrades, oil and water pressure plumbing, fuel pressure gauge, smaller steering pump pulley, etc. The fuel pressure gauge resulted to be junk and started leaking fuel through the silicone oil filler hole. I bought a Summit branded one. Extremely disappointed. I ended up plugging the hole while I get another one, but not Summit.

Last night pushed the car out of its little one bay garage it's been in and started to empty all the parts out of the interior (I had basically the entire car stuffed inside, the fenders, all the trim, everything) started taking inventory of what I have and don't have, as a lot some has been lost in the last 7 years since I took it all apart. Making lists of what I need, what I am going to sell off, etc.

Today I got some cut off wheels and other tools to start on some more rust repair. Gonna work on getting the bottom of the cowl out and cleaned up for a whole new cowl.

Ordered some small parts to help the project along. Needed door hinge bolts.

Today I gotta finish taking inventory and hang up all the parts I don't need right now, somehow in this tiny garage.

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Last night pushed the car out of its little one bay garage it's been in and started to empty all the parts out of the interior (I had basically the entire car stuffed inside, the fenders, all the trim, everything) started taking inventory of what I have and don't have, as a lot some has been lost in the last 7 years since I took it all apart. Making lists of what I need, what I am going to sell off, etc.

Today I got some cut off wheels and other tools to start on some more rust repair. Gonna work on getting the bottom of the cowl out and cleaned up for a whole new cowl.

Ordered some small parts to help the project along. Needed door hinge bolts.

Today I gotta finish taking inventory and hang up all the parts I don't need right now, somehow in this tiny garage.

Please keep  us posted on how you get on with the cowl work  ::thumb::

Decided to start getting out the driver rear floorpan since I already have the replacement for it. Was able to get the seat platform out without tearing anything up for the most part.

0410201518.jpg

0410201519.jpg

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Put new rubber tips on the end of the visors!

Whew!

Oh, I also fired up insurance.  Hagerty coverage for $40k.  How much coverage do you guys have and with who?

kcmash