What did you do to your car today?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see more and more various people getting the johnson and johnson vaccine. This touches close to home for my family. My oldest daughter works for Grand River Aseptic in Michigan. Her job is basically

Today, I took Frank out to get his annual inspection for registration, and decided that since it was such a nice day, I’d stretch the ride home out a bit and swung by the Vietnam Memorial at the airpo

My car came with factory 8 Track, but the player was DOA. I wanted to keep the look, but integrate Bluetooth. So I bought a board on eBay that can easily power the 4 speakers. I hogged out the guts of

Posted Images

Was able to fit the car back into the garage last night with room to barely walk all the way around it. So I have my car completely dissembled and hung on the walls of a tiny one car garage. Fenders are on the roof of the car lol. When I get the seats out from behind the car I can move it back like 14 inches and be able to set the fenders on the front end and still clear the garage door.

Today hopefully I'll get some time to cut the rear floor board out of the car and prep everything to be welded. 51051c7e864bbc3f3d62f02c8f70d2a3.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom

Good catch for sure. Seems the professional F&%$ up way more than the amature. Professional race pit crew put head gaskets on backwards on my car.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Was able to fit the car back into the garage last night with room to barely walk all the way around it. So I have my car completely dissembled and hung on the walls of a tiny one car garage. Fenders are on the roof of the car lol. When I get the seats out from behind the car I can move it back like 14 inches and be able to set the fenders on the front end and still clear the garage door.

Today hopefully I'll get some time to cut the rear floor board out of the car and prep everything to be welded. 51051c7e864bbc3f3d62f02c8f70d2a3.jpg

You might want to put some sheets of cardboard on the roof to spread out the weight of the fenders... you don't want to dent the roof, if you do it is a pain to fix. I put a hood up there once ... won't do that again

You can hang the fenders from the ceiling with chains for long term storage

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

Today hopefully I'll get some time to cut the rear floor board out of the car and prep everything to be welded.

You might want to put some sheets of cardboard on the roof to spread out the weight of the fenders... you don't want to dent the roof, if you do it is a pain to fix. I put a hood up there once ... won't do that again

You can hang the fenders from the ceiling with chains for long term storage

Yeah, good call, I'll put some cardboard on the roof tomorrow morning. Can't hang them from the ceiling, definitely not enough room for that.

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Spent some quality time cleaning parts and getting stuff ready for various projects. Finally spent the time to design a proper crank scraper for my 351C. Easy peasy when you have a small laser in the shop.

IMG-20200412-193102.jpg

IMG-20200412-193834.jpg

Got the driver side rear floor out. Gotta get everything cleaned up and trimmed up nicer and the new floor might get welded up tonight.e75076d3dd0899c88b2dc36461ca44eb.jpg2abcf4bd2a0a752f8dc12cfadc1a414c.jpg

Well I drove my car away from the welders and got her home,    The welder has managed to break my new rear view camera knocking it of the mount and cracking the plastic body. :@

You be the Judge of what he has done. The new pan is slightly larger than the hole that was cut in the floor so there is approx 1/2 inch overlap.  He did not use any weld through primer. If you look at the back edge of the pan (on the rear seat curve) he has managed to put a hole through the original metal :@

49769887903_f26bc0fd67_c.jpg

49770421471_702c000848_c.jpg

Front crossmember now fitted  But not sure if its been welded correctly?

49770746522_e312fba6db_c.jpg

I will take more detailed pics of the Crossmember welding.

This is what I got for $565.00  :@ :shootself:

Oh, he also managed to break the plastic front grille, I found the metal headlight ring on the drivers seat, he said it somehow fell off and I notice the plastic fittings are cracked.

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom

Good catch for sure. Seems the professional F&%$ up way more than the amature. Professional race pit crew put head gaskets on backwards on my car.

Thanks David, I was disappointed when they told me they would be open on that Saturday, waited in the parking lot for an hour thinking maybe someone was just hungover, no one showed up. On Monday, I was there when they opened and was able to go into their shop and watch them correct the problem. It took about 10 minutes and is in a pretty crappy neighborhood area but at least it got done. Went home, installed it, checked the clearances, and continued on from there. When I have them do the hardened seat install on the heads, I will for sure be checking everything before I leave. 

Tom

Well I drove my car away from the welders and got her home,    The welder has managed to break my new rear view camera knocking it of the mount and cracking the plastic body. :@

You be the Judge of what he has done. The new pan is slightly larger than the hole that was cut in the floor so there is approx 1/2 inch overlap.  He did not use any weld through primer. If you look at the back edge of the pan (on the rear seat curve) he has managed to put a hole through the original metal :@

49769887903_f26bc0fd67_c.jpg

49770421471_702c000848_c.jpg

Front crossmember now fitted  But not sure if its been welded correctly?

49770746522_e312fba6db_c.jpg

I will take more detailed pics of the Crossmember welding.

This is what I got for $565.00  :@ :shootself:

Oh, he also managed to break the plastic front grille, I found the metal headlight ring on the drivers seat, he said it somehow fell off and I notice the plastic fittings are cracked.

Was this a professional body shop????

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

This guy is self employed and works from Home, he has built Hot Rods and Oval circuit cars and performs alloy wheel repairs for local tire companies who send customers to him when they discover a cracked or damaged wheel. He was recommended to me by word of mouth from the mechanic that services my daily drive cars.

I don't know what it is with my country, but it seems anyone in the car repair business does nothing but bad work and every time I have been shafted!

On my Dodge Viper, I do EVERYTHING myself, I would not dare to leave that in a shop with english mechanics! So once again I ask around in good faith for a Quality welder in my area, and that was what I got! :@

So now I'm looking to buy myself a Welding kit.

Professional Body shop No, his place i more like a salvage breakers yard with lots of stripped out cars. But I was told his work WAS good!

Buy a welder. Mig. Gas shielded (not flux core). Practice on scrap. You will be welding circles around this guy in no time.

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

It's the difference between the expectations you set for yourself as an amateur, and those of someone who is supposed to be a "professional". We often find that the "pro" is lacking in the professional.

There are things I do leave to the pros, like drywall. Around here, you hire a French Canadian for that. They're done in two days and I can just whack on primer and paint. My wallet is lighter, but the job is done well and my sanity is intact.

Doesn't look like someone who does that professionally I agree.

For a comparison, here is the same floorpan I did in my car. Was the first time ever using a wire feed welder, first panel I did on the car (or any car for that matter) and being completely self taught......7a814688e92509060f09bca68660fbf8.jpg

For a comparison, here is the same floorpan I did in my car. Was the first time ever using a wire feed welder, first panel I did on the car (or any car for that matter) and being completely self taught......7a814688e92509060f09bca68660fbf8.jpg

Nice work.

- Jason

Tom

Thanks David, I was disappointed when they told me they would be open on that Saturday, waited in the parking lot for an hour thinking maybe someone was just hungover, no one showed up. On Monday, I was there when they opened and was able to go into their shop and watch them correct the problem. It took about 10 minutes and is in a pretty crappy neighborhood area but at least it got done. Went home, installed it, checked the clearances, and continued on from there. When I have them do the hardened seat install on the heads, I will for sure be checking everything before I leave. 

Tom

Unless your valves are recessed into the head I would not do the seats. Just gives you more areas of a failure. If you use the Lucas gas additive it lubricates the valves like the lead use to. If you do have them installed and you see punch marks around the seat you will know they got them too loose. To do it correct they need to heat the head and cool the seats with liquid nitrogen to shrink fit them. Dry ice will work also.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

You know... it's a pity we don't live just a few miles from each other on these forums ... we could work on each other's cars, bbqs, beer  ... much better than self professed experts out there.  ::beer::

• Like 1

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Pulled out the A/C blower. There was a piece of foam stuck on it, so that was probably the source of vibration. I removed the wheel and soaked it in rust remover. Now it is clean and running smoothly.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Buy a welder. Mig. Gas shielded (not flux core). Practice on scrap. You will be welding circles around this guy in no time.

And search for "urchfab" on YouTube to watch some welding lessons.  :cool:

Cheers Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

After a short search around town for some weld through primer, got the driver rear floor welded in. Had a few oopsies on the first several welds, been about 5 years since I welded anything. Important part is that it is now a part of the car.

I'm going to tack around the outside like I did the passenger side hopefully tonight. Also, I'm using this SEM Copperweld weld through primer, man it looks so good I want to paint the whole floor with it.c42ba86a880b7e9a26eb3ed7d526d796.jpg2f1151048f3bb90e9bc85445fd61b44f.jpg

Got a big awesome piece of sheet metal dropped off today. Only took 2 days to get it, free shipping from CJ Pony Parts.

0416201727-HDR.jpg

Played with my rear end today. New valance (Will have exhaust done later to fill the cutouts). Installed the spoiler which I had painted argent from black. New taillights ( I did not paint the insides black, like them like this), painted and reinstalled the honeycomb panel. Installed new bumper also.

20200417-151857.jpg

Looks good.

- Jason