What did you do to your car today?

Made some stands for the doors so I can strip them down to the shell and get them ready for paint.

I mirrored one of the parts on accident... See if you can find it.

1-C9-F88-DA-A8-D2-4-C61-BC1-B-6748-F15-F22-CB.jpg

Pretty neat door rotisserie.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to adjust the headlights but ended up having a staring contest and I lost.     I'll try again tomorrow.

As a kid, I offered to help my older Brother's friend fix his leaking PS hose on his '56 T-Bird. Not knowing that the PS hose is a special hose, i replaced it with a length of gas hose. As soon as he

Good idea.  Where did you get the power from - straight off the battery or from the main feed to the cars fuse box.

Posted Images

I spent Saturday under the dash working on the inop blower motor. I pulled the blower motor and resistor from the heater box and found the power wire to the motor cooked near the resistor end. The terminal on the resistor was severely rusted and caused enough resistance to insulate the connection. I clipped a bit from the wire and replaced the terminal on the motor and cleaned the rust from the resistor terminal with some sandpaper. It works great now. After thinking about it a couple of times yesterday I decided to order a replacement resistor. Easier to do while the seat is already out. I'm not going anywhere this week anyway... LOL!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Finally got out to finish welding in my floor pan. Ran out of wire though, so I guess I gotta wait until the weekend.

Been a few years since I last welded and it took a while to make anything that looked half decent. I guess it doesn't matter, nobody is gonna see this anyways and its plenty strong.

0512202004.jpg

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Do you plan to join all those spot welds together?

Did you keep the fuel line in place when you welded the pan to the rocker?

Finally got out to finish welding in my floor pan. Ran out of wire though, so I guess I gotta wait until the weekend.

Been a few years since I last welded and it took a while to make anything that looked half decent. I guess it doesn't matter, nobody is gonna see this anyways and its plenty strong.

0512202004.jpg

Did  you keep the fuel line in place when you welded the pan to the rocker?

When I do overlap joints, I do not make a continuous bead all the way around the perimeter.  Takes forever. I usually punch holes around the perimeter of the replacement panel spaced about an inch or so apart and do plug/rosette welds. Then seam seal the top and bottom seam. The plug welds will be plenty strong. 

You can keep the fuel line in place. You may want to pull it down slightly so its not resting on the area you are welding.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.
https://youtu.be/SoW1fhaFPzY  Burn Out Video. 

044.jpg

0512202004.jpg

Did  you keep the fuel line in place when you welded the pan to the rocker?

When I do overlap joints, I do not make a continuous bead all the way around the perimeter.  Takes forever. I usually punch holes around the perimeter of the replacement panel spaced about an inch or so apart and do plug/rosette welds. Then seam seal the top and bottom seam. The plug welds will be plenty strong. 

You can keep the fuel line in place. You may want to pull it down slightly so its not resting on the area you are welding.

Car is 100% stripped down so don't have to worry about fuel lines.

I did actually plug weld it in a few spots to hold it in place and I know it would be strong enough if I just did that all the way around, however I did the other side this way when I was less experienced and I want them to match.

Only have maybe two more times around to fill in the gaps anyways.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

Did you keep the fuel line in place when you welded the pan to the rocker?

Yes I just keep going around until all the gaps are filled.

No fuel lines on the car, car is stripped down.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I removed my broken front spoiler (the second in 2 years) and bandaged it back together for temporary use.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Mustang kicked back on the weekend, was cutting out a rusty bit of floor pan and moved my safety goggles for a quick looksee, spark scratched my eye!

Its OK, no hospital needed just a small scratch but its very sore so am using some antibiotic eye drops every couple of hours.

Stay safe folks! mules bite

Mustang kicked back on the weekend, was cutting out a rusty bit of floor pan and moved my safety goggles for a quick looksee, spark scratched my eye!

Its OK, no hospital needed just a small scratch but its very sore so am using some antibiotic eye drops every couple of hours.

Stay safe folks!  mules bite

That sucks!!!! I have done that many of times. Just in the last 2 years i have been to the eye Dr. 3 times to get metal out of my eye.  I wear glasses and a shield alot of times and still manage to get metal in my eyes. 

If it persists, i would go get it checked. Being it is hot when it hits your eye, alot of times it melts into your eye and the dr has to grind it out.  Its not fun. They numb the eye, strap your head still in a weird device and have you look straight ahead while they take a tiny grinder to the hunk of grit or metal. If you dont get it out, your eye will heal over it and trap it in your eye. I was told your eye is one of the fastest healing parts of the body. 

Good luck.... I know it sucks!

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.
https://youtu.be/SoW1fhaFPzY  Burn Out Video. 

044.jpg

Caught a piece of melted plastic from a shorting wire right on my eyeball once.

No fun at all.

Mike

I Did put a magnet over my eye to see if it would pick up anything, but the eye looks clean using a magnifying glass and a mirror.

Its feeling better this afternoon.

I Did put a magnet over my eye to see if it would pick up anything, but the eye looks clean using a magnifying glass and a mirror. 

I wound up in the ER. They had to pull or scrape the plastic off. Had to wear a patch for a couple of weeks.

Yep I seem to get the crap in my eyes not matter what. I wear glasses and I use a full face shield when grinding. I put a mirror in my work room and the first aid box is on the other side with eye wash always there. I had my eye cut a couple times, one was a finger in the eye playing basketball and the other was a tree limb when pruning the apple trees. Wearing an eye patch you have no depth perception and that sucks.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Doh!

Eye protection good.  I too have made my optometrists day interesting.   Gotta wonder if they ever get tired of asking “Which is better 1 or 2 .... 3 or 4” during eye exams?

My eye doc was giddy with the prospect of breaking up his day to swab glass bead out of my eyes.  Now when I bead blast I keep the respirator and goggles on until I get in the shower and rinse off.  Sure I look like Walt from Breaking Bad walking from the garage to the house in dirty PPE- but I don’t want to repeat the glass in my eyes experience.

• Like 1

I wound up in the ER. They had to pull or scrape the plastic off. Had to wear a patch for a couple of weeks.

Ouch!

Ouch indeed, but I printed and taped together all the 72 wiring schematic pages end to end (ugly) and traced circuits trying to figure how the interior lights, headlamp light switch dimmer, key buzzer, and door switches relate cause they didn't work. I also found the voltage regular connector has seen better days. Ordered up!

Started looking into the engine from the '65. The PO said he had pulled a head because he "didn't trust the work" of the rebuilder. Well, the clown had no idea how to adjust the valves on this engine and just ran the nuts down all the way. Ended up with three bent pushrods. Hopefully none of the valves are bent. Correctly adjusted valve on the second from the left, incorrectly done the right two.

IMG-20200513-201659.jpg

• Like 1

Tried to make good some holes in an old aluminium Mustang roof drip rail,

Watched the youtube videos on Aluminium welding, Check.

Ordered thin Aluminum welding rods supposedly able to fill a hole in a thin coke can.

Ordered some powder aluminium welding flux to aid flow.

Cleaned trim thoroughly but no matter how many times I tried the trim kept oxidising as soon as I put the blow lamp on it and aluminium beaded and rolled off the trim.

Having spent a few hours getting various dents out of the trim I was gutted when the trim started distorting and holes started appearing in it due to being heated and cleaned time and time again.

so now I need a replacement roof rail :(

Can't win em all :(

49894199171_cb3ce639f2.jpg

49894510007_6261735df6.jpg

Bought a complete replacement drivers door today on eBay UK!  Its from a 71,  Now bear in mind these bits are hard to find in the UK, and my car left the factory  Wimbledon White with a red interior, the replacement door is white with a red door card!  What are the chances of that!  Its a bit rusty at the bottom but a bit of acid treatment should sort that out.  Door comes with Glass and door handle too!  ::thumb::

Tried to make good some holes in an old aluminium Mustang roof drip rail,

Watched the youtube videos on Aluminium welding, Check.

Ordered thin Aluminum welding rods supposedly able to fill a hole in a thin coke can.

Ordered some powder aluminium welding flux to aid flow.

Cleaned trim thoroughly but no matter how many times I tried the trim kept oxidising as soon as I put the blow lamp on it and aluminium beaded and rolled off the trim.

Having spent a few hours getting various dents out of the trim I was gutted when the trim started distorting and holes started appearing in it due to being heated and cleaned time and time again.

so now I need a replacement roof rail :(

Can't win em all :(

49894199171_cb3ce639f2.jpg

49894510007_6261735df6.jpg

I believe Don at Ohio Mustang has some of those. He emailed me a picture of a large stack of them. If Not Mike at Motorcity mustang. Both are vendors on the forum.