droptop73

What did you do to your car today?

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.  I know it is hard to tell in photos.  When I look at your photo where the outer wheelhouse meets the trunk drop it looks off.    Looking from the top if you put a square on your trunk drop does the relationship look like this photo?  My pic is from the drivers side, not the passenger... 

The angle between the trunk drop and the outer wheelhouse was about 96-98 degrees on my car.

I’d break out a hammer, dolly and some brute force.  I think when you get the outer wheelhouse bent forward and down a bit you will be able to butt weld your patch without any gap.

9B2780BD-9CBE-4E93-9680-5771FBD4EFCA.jpeg

7FAFEBC4-9A77-486C-92F7-30E24EFC6286.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bentworker said:

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.  I know it is hard to tell in photos.  When I look at your photo where the outer wheelhouse meets the trunk drop it looks off.    Looking from the top if you put a square on your trunk drop does the relationship look like this photo?  My pic is from the drivers side, not the passenger... 

I’d break out a hammer, dolly and some brute force.  I think when you get the outer wheelhouse bent forward and down a bit you will be able to butt weld your patch without any gap.

Thanks for your reply! I will check the angle on the rear part of the house and also compare to my RH side. For some reason (lack of experience perhaps ;-P ) I had not thought about pushing the rear corner of the house back in. That would actually solve another issue I ran into when test fitting the outer skin. I might make a cut here and there to make the bending go easier as I don't want to put too much stress in the car. Will keep you posted!

i was able to finish one of the rear wheel wells today. I torched all the undercoating to check if anything needed to be fixed and then sanded and primed, then painted it. While i was there i stripped the rust off the drum and clear coated the outside.

IMG_20200805_133010.jpg

• Like 1

Wheelhouse looking great. I believe the clear on the drum will just burn off really quick. I have used the black paint for headers and also black for your charcoal grill. Of course were just raw iron when new. 

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I was going to adjust the headlights but ended up having a staring contest and I lost.   :whistling:  I'll try again tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Isnt there something about that? I thought you could go blind? OH.......... thats another action . And whats up with this guy? :banana:

• LOL 1

Tore down the front end and measured everything so I can put it back together correctly after I fix those rusted aprons.

72MustangConvertible_1.jpg

Be sure to get the reinforcement that goes under the battery try to hold the battery box before you put the R.H. inner in. On Ebay and are great.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.

You were correct, the angle was nearly 0. Applying force using a piece of wood and making a few cuts brought it into position.
Thanks again!

I repacked the front wheel bearings and will check the toe-in tonight. Getting ready for my upcoming road trip with my son. I need to install a new power wire for the charging ports too.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Today I did nothing to the car,  Yesterday I installed the dome lamp and cover then wen out to burn off some bad gas.

She was doing great, both fast idle and warm idle.  Warm idle was perfect, and reliable.  Ne tank of gas from Phillips 66 and she wont idle at all.   A real challenge and a lot of clutch at every stop.

So I did what any 7173 owner in their right mind would do. Picked up a neighbor who likes cars and I hit the highway!

According to the Life 360 App on the phone, I went 44 Miles with a top speed of 83 MPH.

1/2 a tank to go!

kcmash