What did you do to your car today?

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.  I know it is hard to tell in photos.  When I look at your photo where the outer wheelhouse meets the trunk drop it looks off.    Looking from the top if you put a square on your trunk drop does the relationship look like this photo?  My pic is from the drivers side, not the passenger... 

The angle between the trunk drop and the outer wheelhouse was about 96-98 degrees on my car.

I’d break out a hammer, dolly and some brute force.  I think when you get the outer wheelhouse bent forward and down a bit you will be able to butt weld your patch without any gap.

9B2780BD-9CBE-4E93-9680-5771FBD4EFCA.jpeg

7FAFEBC4-9A77-486C-92F7-30E24EFC6286.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to adjust the headlights but ended up having a staring contest and I lost.     I'll try again tomorrow.

As a kid, I offered to help my older Brother's friend fix his leaking PS hose on his '56 T-Bird. Not knowing that the PS hose is a special hose, i replaced it with a length of gas hose. As soon as he

Good idea.  Where did you get the power from - straight off the battery or from the main feed to the cars fuse box.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Bentworker said:

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.  I know it is hard to tell in photos.  When I look at your photo where the outer wheelhouse meets the trunk drop it looks off.    Looking from the top if you put a square on your trunk drop does the relationship look like this photo?  My pic is from the drivers side, not the passenger... 

I’d break out a hammer, dolly and some brute force.  I think when you get the outer wheelhouse bent forward and down a bit you will be able to butt weld your patch without any gap.

Thanks for your reply! I will check the angle on the rear part of the house and also compare to my RH side. For some reason (lack of experience perhaps ;-P ) I had not thought about pushing the rear corner of the house back in. That would actually solve another issue I ran into when test fitting the outer skin. I might make a cut here and there to make the bending go easier as I don't want to put too much stress in the car. Will keep you posted!

i was able to finish one of the rear wheel wells today. I torched all the undercoating to check if anything needed to be fixed and then sanded and primed, then painted it. While i was there i stripped the rust off the drum and clear coated the outside.

IMG_20200805_133010.jpg

• Like 1

Wheelhouse looking great. I believe the clear on the drum will just burn off really quick. I have used the black paint for headers and also black for your charcoal grill. Of course were just raw iron when new. 

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I was going to adjust the headlights but ended up having a staring contest and I lost.   :whistling:  I'll try again tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Isnt there something about that? I thought you could go blind? OH.......... thats another action . And whats up with this guy? :banana:

• LOL 1

Tore down the front end and measured everything so I can put it back together correctly after I fix those rusted aprons.

72MustangConvertible_1.jpg

Be sure to get the reinforcement that goes under the battery try to hold the battery box before you put the R.H. inner in. On Ebay and are great.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Looks like the rear of the outer wheel house got pushed back towards the tail of the car.

You were correct, the angle was nearly 0. Applying force using a piece of wood and making a few cuts brought it into position.
Thanks again!

I repacked the front wheel bearings and will check the toe-in tonight. Getting ready for my upcoming road trip with my son. I need to install a new power wire for the charging ports too.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Today I did nothing to the car,  Yesterday I installed the dome lamp and cover then wen out to burn off some bad gas.

She was doing great, both fast idle and warm idle.  Warm idle was perfect, and reliable.  Ne tank of gas from Phillips 66 and she wont idle at all.   A real challenge and a lot of clutch at every stop.

So I did what any 7173 owner in their right mind would do. Picked up a neighbor who likes cars and I hit the highway!

According to the Life 360 App on the phone, I went 44 Miles with a top speed of 83 MPH.

1/2 a tank to go!

kcmash

Power steering pump has been leaking at the jic fitting due to several bad nicks in the face on the male end at the pump.  Pump was also starting to whine a little so I figure I would get a rebuilt pump and reuse the old reservoir.   Called around and lucked out and found one at a local NAPA store.  Some one had ordered it but never picked it up.  So I pulled the pulley, pop the pump out of the reservoir housing and headed to the store.   Got there and they had the pump waiting for me.  Checked it out and found the nipple on the jic was banged up really bad.:classic_angry:  No way for it to seal properly.  So now the car is sitting and I'm on the search again.  I  might bite the bullet and just order a complete new pump.  

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

was able to drop my 3rd member in my axle after going through cleaning up, inspecting, replacing pinion seal, checking backlash and pattern. that made me happy!

also was able to find some nice stainless nuts for the 3rd member. looks good and wont get all rusty. 

small steps

Well, I worked today on my heater/ AC evaporator box rebuild. The heater core had started to weep, so I removed the entire box, only to find the lower half of the box needing replacement as well as the heater core. I installed a new heater core along with a "foam kit" to replace all of the old foam sealing surfaces, flushed the evaporator with laquer thinner, vacuum tested the evap, and re-assembled the box complete. None of the vacuum motors leak, so they are cleaned up and re-installed. All new vacuum hoses, correctly color striped with paint pens will be going in with the installation. More to come...

Today finally put my new valve covers on and fired up the car for the first time in 4 weeks.  I have been cleaning up my engine bay, new ac system, new alt, ps pump, hoses, etc.   Still need to clean up the vacuum lines with better routing and a few minor things as well as charge the new ac system then put back the support braces.  Did not really take any before pics, must some pics for reference but here are some old and new pics.

eb3.jpg

eb5.jpg

eb4.jpg

eb2.jpg

Edited by jscott

Picked up my 72 Mach 1 parts car #3.  It has been sitting in my brothers back yard for years. Unfortunately he is putting his house up for sale so he can move out of this rapidly declining state.  I was going to strip it down but I was just not feeling it so I sent off to become a Hyundai. Too bad the PO put that ridiculous spoiler on the back it cracked and rotted the hole back of the car.     

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

- Mike

Mine got a new starter today. Old one would only turn things over once in a blue moon. Also pulled the retrofit fuel pump out and redid the clamps and line on it again since it pushed off the line yet again. Trying crimp clamps this time. 

I have been repairing and prepping more parts.  I am still waiting for parts from the USA (which are currently on a container ship).

Sanded back the poorly painted dash 

50250771297_ec7e069beb_z.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0006 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

IMG_20200816_194211.jpg

Edited by 92GTS-R
On 8/17/2020 at 12:09 AM, mach71351c said:

Picked up my 72 Mach 1 parts car #3.  It has been sitting in my brothers back yard for years. Unfortunately he is putting his house up for sale so he can move out of this rapidly declining state.  I was going to strip it down but I was just not feeling it so I sent off to become a Hyundai. Too bad the PO put that ridiculous spoiler on the back it cracked and rotted the hole back of the car.     

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

I would have loved a few parts of that :(

16 minutes ago, 72MustangSprint said:

Curious of what parts you wanted?? Taillights??

Do you have taillights for sale? if so Pm me please.

21 hours ago, 72MustangSprint said:

Curious of what parts you wanted?? Taillights??

Front windscreen (if any good) Drivers door (if no rust) centre front grille support brackets.  If it was an FMX car the  electrical plug that the neutral safety switch plugs into on the main wire harness. RHS front screen trim. 

I parked mine back in the shop after a 2900+ mile road trip. My son and I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg, went to Charlotte, NC. We drove some of the Appalachian backroads, went through the Cumberland Gap and visited Asheville, NC. It was a great week, now time to rest! LOL!!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

2 minutes ago, droptop73 said:

I parked mine back in the shop after a 2900+ mile road trip. My son and I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg, went to Charlotte, NC. We drove some of the Appalachian backroads, went through the Cumberland Gap and visited Asheville, NC. It was a great week, now time to rest! LOL!!

Nice that are using your car that way, sounds like you had a great time.

• Like 1