What did you do to your car today?

droptop73

Adjusted the carb , set timing , and finally got her running where she wont switch off when put into gear. 

Also ordered a 71-72 chrome bumper as I could not find a 73 inner brace 

Got a bunch of the engine externals put back together; fuel line, spark plug wires, heater hoses and valves, alternator/regulator and wiring, engine bay wiring harnesses, etc.  Unfortunately I am heading to warmer climes until April so nothing more is going to happen until then.

1257906401_EngineResized.jpg.4bddc6de885b3f31487773d2da69207c.jpg

• Like 2

Paid a visit to the machine shop today, my engine is alive and everything looks good. He ran in the cam and did some break in work to get the rings seated. Readjusted the valvetrain and started with some tuning. We did the first untuned short pull and it came up lean. He's going to jet up the carb and do another couple pulls to see where it likes the timing. We'll then swap to my carb and tune that in, test spacers and go from there. 

• Like 2

Got around to putting on my subframe connectors.  Was hoping Santa would do it but I guess I was a bad boy so I had to do it myself.  I know one thing for sure - I HATE welding laying on my back under the car!  In my next life I will have a lift. :biggrin:   Also welded in wideband o2  sensor bungs in the exhaust.  

20210113_101203.thumb.jpg.eda361b0c7a5951175ac26483cccde0a.jpg

20210105_115742.thumb.jpg.40b093f252ec657b626119d9a85bbcab.jpg

Dry fit before prepping for welding.

Rear Frame.jpg

20210115_152753.thumb.jpg.b227a62c89ab6b5bca3bac92630b131c.jpg

Welded and primed.  Will spray with finish when the weather gets a little warmer.

20210115_152929.thumb.jpg.69163dfa632ac36bd42b1d23e9b95b10.jpg

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

2 hours ago, Kilgon said:

Got around to putting on my subframe connectors.  Was hoping Santa would do it but I guess I was a bad boy so I had to do it myself.  I know one thing for sure - I HATE welding laying on my back under the car!  In my next life I will have a lift. :biggrin:   Also welded in wideband o2  sensor bungs in the exhaust.  

20210113_101203.thumb.jpg.eda361b0c7a5951175ac26483cccde0a.jpg

20210105_115742.thumb.jpg.40b093f252ec657b626119d9a85bbcab.jpg

Dry fit before prepping for welding.

Rear Frame.jpg

20210115_152753.thumb.jpg.b227a62c89ab6b5bca3bac92630b131c.jpg

Welded and primed.  Will spray with finish when the weather gets a little warmer.

20210115_152929.thumb.jpg.69163dfa632ac36bd42b1d23e9b95b10.jpg

Looks great!

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

On 1/10/2021 at 4:45 AM, shaheenk said:

Adjusted the carb , set timing , and finally got her running where she wont switch off when put into gear. 

Also ordered a 71-72 chrome bumper as I could not find a 73 inner brace 

If you ordered from CJpony, expect the front bumper bolt eyelets to need a little drilling as well as the rear bumper. I just installed both, the rear is only about 1/8 or so off centered and the front is off right to left as well as as off from front to back. The front passenger side needs to have the bolt eyelets opened up to move the bumper back a little towards the grill. I am still playing with it but looks like I will have to do a little more expanding of the bolt eyelet to make it fit better. I have a 73 by the way. 

Tom

Somewhat concerned. I hurt my back trying to set a door on the rotisserie the other day so no jack. I pulled something did nothing for several days and today my legs getting numb. Texted Dr. he thinks I screwed back up really bad. Lots of will just no way.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Dag Nab it............ I know that pain. I had 2 back surgerys and they did fix it. They can fix yours as well. Dont fear. Try laying flat on your back like a carpeted floor. That will seperate ( make a gap) the vertebrae and relieve the pinched nerve some.   

You must take it easy until they can reduce the swelling.  If not you will lose the feeling in your foot(as I did) permanently. Feels like your walking on a ping pong ball all the time.

Take it easy!  

17 hours ago, vintageman said:

If you ordered from CJpony, expect the front bumper bolt eyelets to need a little drilling as well as the rear bumper. I just installed both, the rear is only about 1/8 or so off centered and the front is off right to left as well as as off from front to back. The front passenger side needs to have the bolt eyelets opened up to move the bumper back a little towards the grill. I am still playing with it but looks like I will have to do a little more expanding of the bolt eyelet to make it fit better. I have a 73 by the way. 

Tom

Thanks , do you have any pics of your progress on the bumper since I will be doing this on a 73 as well. 

The bumper is a Mr Mustang unit , not sure if CJ is the same 

I got the oil pan and timing cover put back on the engine, a little more cleaning and a bunch of masking and it should be ready for paint. 

The wiring harness is in, the fuse block mounted and wires are sorted out and run to near their desired location. I need to finish a bit of engine compartment cleaning and paint then I can start to finalize things. 

Sorry, not good with taking photos... 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

On 1/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, vintageman said:

No pics but I will be getting back to the bumpers hopefully this weekend and can take some pics.  

Tom

My wife kept me busy with the honey do list this weekend, I will be at the car tomorrow night and get you some pics. Sorry for the hold up.

Tom

On 1/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, vintageman said:

My wife kept me busy with the honey do list this weekend, I will be at the car tomorrow night and get you some pics. Sorry for the hold up.

Tom

Thank you 

On 1/18/2021 at 9:21 AM, midlife said:

Before painting in the engine compartment, wrap aluminum foil around all of your wiring in the engine compartment.  Remove after painting, you'll be glad you did!

Thanks for the tip! As of right now there is no wiring in the engine compartment but I do have brake lines and other small components. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

15 hours ago, shaheenk said:

Thank you 

Went to do some bumper adjustment and alignment tonight and after adding the front bumper fillers and then trying to reinstall my lower valance, the valance will not bolt up on the passenger side. I will get pics after taking the bumper back off, installing the valance and then the bumper again. I am thinking that it is just simply moving the bumper over to center it properly. Oh the joy of trying to get good fitment with aftermarket parts, got to love it. Shouldn't be too hard to get it lined up, I just ran out of time and daylight. Sorry for the delay but I want to give you some good pics and let you know everything that I am trying to figure out on this.

Tom

Picked up a 71 vert parts car. Omg the rust but much of the vert unique parts are in pretty good shape plus it has the hood and fender rear trim pieces. Will be posting things on here as I begin tearing it down. Some parts I need (interior rear quarter trim panels, a pillar trim, ac ducting and the ws wiper mechanism that sits in the cowl). Grille seems to be unbroken.

20210120_104522.jpg

20210120_150700.jpg

20210120_150633.jpg

20210120_102810.jpg

• Like 2

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

I finished the paint on the engine and trans. I like how it turned out for a little more of a custom look. 

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

• Like 2

[align=left]Jeff T.

That looks really good, well done :thumb: 

I like the "cast iron look" and the combination of the colors, the valve covers are spot on :beer:

Now, please do not add any other massive colors (for example the infamous yellow spark plug wires), black + cast iron + aluminum looks good enough :thumb:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

22 hours ago, timachone said:

That looks really good, well done :thumb: 

I like the "cast iron look" and the combination of the colors, the valve covers are spot on :beer:

Now, please do not add any other massive colors (for example the infamous yellow spark plug wires), black + cast iron + aluminum looks good enough :thumb:

Thanks Tim!

What??? No lime green plug wires? Yellow would match the car though... :biggrin:

I still have a lot of black parts to add on the front though. 

• LOL 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:40 AM, vintageman said:

Went to do some bumper adjustment and alignment tonight and after adding the front bumper fillers and then trying to reinstall my lower valance, the valance will not bolt up on the passenger side. I will get pics after taking the bumper back off, installing the valance and then the bumper again. I am thinking that it is just simply moving the bumper over to center it properly. Oh the joy of trying to get good fitment with aftermarket parts, got to love it. Shouldn't be too hard to get it lined up, I just ran out of time and daylight. Sorry for the delay but I want to give you some good pics and let you know everything that I am trying to figure out on this.

Tom

No worries , I have been doing some other stupid stuff

so I know this is going to piss off the purists. 

I have always had a good audio system in my cars, I competed professionally for many years and stock is just not going to do it for me.

With the Stang, we went for an old school approach, USD Waveguides and some 6in Midbass drivers, I wanted to keep the stock look inside with a good amount of attack and volume. We tried to look for options in terms of the 6in drivers. But went totally bonkers 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 15.41.48 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 15.41.48 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 15.41.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-16 at 19.21.04.jpeg

• Like 2